Joe Giglio out of NC just tweeted | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Giglio out of NC just tweeted

There are 3 types of scenarios regarding fan travel to bowls.
1 A playoff or New Years 6 type situation where everyone would travel.
2. An up rising program where the fan base is energized by a great season.
3. An program playing in the What bowl because they had a dissapointing season..
(insert Miami or V Tech here) and there is no energy.

We are #2
I would add #4. Program who gets jobbed and goes to a lesser bowl, discouraged fans from attending.

Everyone in Syracuse, especially with the new direct flights, will drool over a legitimate excuse to go to Orlando for a long weekend in December

Looks like you are right. So the Gator people would rather have a 7-5 Miami team against a 6-5, soon to be 7-5 South Carolina team instead of a 9-3 Syracuse team against an 8-4 Texas A&M team, where both teams are ranked?

Our reputation for buying tickets must be awful.

Aren't the schools committed to purchasing the tickets anyway? Meaning we take the loss if they give us 15,000 and we only sell 5,000? Or do you think it's about what is purchased on top of the allotment?

I always figured it was about the number of tourists and hotel rooms booked. Makes sense for Jacksonville. Not as much for Orlando. They already have Disney, Universal, The Capital One Bowl, and now this is just some more pocket change. I assume if I want to go, and I actually want an available roof, I'm going to be asking TexanMark about Motel 6 specials on Route 4 in Lakeland.

I would not discount the Gator Bowl here. In fact, there wouldn’t be a huge difference in prestige between Camping World and the Gator Bowl. Plus the chance to play an SEC team that is no joke. I’d travel to that game! JAX is not Orlando but then again it’s very close to St. Augustine and other attractive locations. Only a few hours from Orlando anyway.
I prefer Jax to Orlando actually. I know Orlando has all the major attractions but I like Jax as a city better and as you say, you can take an easy drive to St. Augustine.

Yankee Stadium in late Dec... not so much.

I prefer Jax to Orlando actually. I know Orlando has all the major attractions but I like Jax as a city better and as you say, you can take an easy drive to St. Augustine.

Yankee Stadium in late Dec... not so much.

I think that’s the problem. I went to the last 2 pinstripes SU was and the ND game. As much as we like Yankee stadium i’m worn out on it for a football venue. The weather sucks and views are even worse. There is no way I would be able to sell it to my fiancé since we were just there. Orlando and Jacksonville I can sell.

This is a better matchup. Only problem here is that SU isn’t traveling well to the Sun Bowl, adding to the perception that SU doesn’t travel well.
Very few teams travel well to the Sun Bowl. Their committee doesn't care that much because they pretty much sell out every year with local folks. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the other bowl committees know this, too, and don't take Sun Bowl attendance into their considerations.

The tv ratings are just as important as fans at the game. The sponsors are where the Big money is, and a bad game has less viewers

Very few teams travel well to the Sun Bowl. Their committee doesn't care that much because they pretty much sell out every year with local folks. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the other bowl committees know this, too, and don't take Sun Bowl attendance into their considerations.
Aye,
Its like Boise, the local community supports the event regardless of teams !!

What would the TV ratings be like for a Cuse/Ducks Sun bowl? Everyone is off that Monday, it's really just part of a long holiday weekend. Both universities have strong national name recognition. All of the Pac12 and ACC football fans will watch.

Looking at predictions from different sources ,some have switched us to Pinstripe, wonder if that's based on the "Gigilo" One saying Pinstripe wants Syracuse. SI has us in Sun Bowl a couple still have us in Camping. We may very well get screwed.

I'm sure Eric would FREAKING LOVE to play Oregon.

For that reason alone, I'm happy to let NC State lose to Iowa St.

Martin would get to play against his former teammates at TAMU in a Gator matchup.

Looking at predictions from different sources ,some have switched us to Pinstripe, wonder if that's based on the "Gigilo" One saying Pinstripe wants Syracuse. SI has us in Sun Bowl a couple still have us in Camping. We may very well get screwed.

Sun, Music or Gator would be fine by me. Let Schpitt freeze their hineys off in Pinstripe.

I wouldn’t hate the gator bowl at all. New Years Eve, Florida, Post Game Concert, Fireworks at midnight.

Too bad this is probably the least likely option.

I went to the Gator in 95 (actually Jan 1 96) against Clemson. Great time. New Year's Eve at the landing was a blast.

SU didn't travel all that well. We had what you would consider a nice SEC away crowd. About 5,000 people in the lower corner, very loud and active. But Clemson fans dominated both sidelines.

I don't think there's any chance they take us.

Looks like you are right. So the Gator people would rather have a 7-5 Miami team against a 6-5, soon to be 7-5 South Carolina team instead of a 9-3 Syracuse team against an 8-4 Texas A&M team, where both teams are ranked?

Our reputation for buying tickets must be awful.
Miami doesn't even travel to their own home games.

I still don't understand - why is Belk not a possibility?

I went to the Gator in 95 (actually Jan 1 96) against Clemson. Great time. New Year's Eve at the landing was a blast.

SU didn't travel all that well. We had what you would consider a nice SEC away crowd. About 5,000 people in the lower corner, very loud and active. But Clemson fans dominated both sidelines.

I don't think there's any chance they take us.

Offer early bird specials and nap cots to the first 5K nursing home or retirement community attendees. Send a stream of buses to Del Boca Vista. Do whatever you have to.

Looking at 24/7 sports, which was from 3 hours ago. They have BC in Sun Bowl. Wouldn't the Sun Bowl take a 9-3 SU over a 7-5 BC. What is the pecking order, does Sun Pick before Pinstripe??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom