Joe Giglio out of NC just tweeted | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Giglio out of NC just tweeted

Not for nothing, but the Nate Mink article seems to indicate that our destination was determined prior to today, which means Mr. Giglio was likely not talking to the right people.

Wildhack didn’t talk to any bowl rep today after having a very positive discussion Friday.

I would suggest that Mr Giglio doesn’t have any sources on the hill, and most of them, in this case, were wishful thinkers on Tobacco Road.

There is just no way that you go from his scenario and variables to, oh it looks like Syracuse is a lock for camping world, without a game being played.

Not for nothing, but the Nate Mink article seems to indicate that our destination was determined prior to today, which means Mr. Giglio was likely not talking to the right people.

Wildhack didn’t talk to any bowl rep today after having a very positive discussion Friday.

I would suggest that Mr Giglio doesn’t have any sources on the hill, and most of them, in this case, were wishful thinkers on Tobacco Road.

There is just no way that you go from his scenario and variables to, oh it looks like Syracuse is a lock for camping world, without a game being played.
Yes, Syracuse knew they were going to Orlando about a week ago. I was mystified as to where he was getting his info from. If he is the dean of ACC sportswriters on ACC Bowl destinations, it soesn’t say much for the longtime journalists covering ACC football.

Spectacular flameout. Joe, I appreciate that you were willing to cover it and stick your neck out.

Yes, Syracuse knew they were going to Orlando about a week ago. I was mystified as to where he was getting his info from. If he is the dean of ACC sportswriters on ACC Bowl destinations, it soesn’t say much for the longtime journalists covering ACC football.

Spectacular flameout. Joe, I appreciate that you were willing to cover it and stick your neck out.

I pleaded with John Wildhack to just put on his JohnSyracuse cap and let us know to avoid all those booked and canceled flight reservations within the 24-hour window and difficult explanations to family and significant others -- umm, we're either going to Orlando or the Bronx or El Paso or Nashville -- but NOOOO!!!

Thanks a lot John.

Plus you could have caused IHeartSUFootball and Briancuse to have serious medical or legal problems, and still you wouldn't come through.

Very disappointed. But...oh yeah, good job on getting us that bowl game.

One thing with Giglio's predictions that seemed off to me is that in his Twitter feed and in that article about how the B12 is going to determine who from the ACC is going to the Camping World Bowl, he never referenced anything about talking to other sources.

That doesn't mean he doesn't have contacts; it's just that if you're confidently making predictions, it's a good idea to back it up with more than a picture of a yellow pad. No need to name the sources; just mention that they exist.

Just my opinion.

Whole NC State thing never made much sense. The money is in the ratings. Why pass up a ranked team for an unranked team? Felt a lot like the BS from WVU during the conference realignment days.

Whole NC State thing never made much sense. The money is in the ratings. Why pass up a ranked team for an unranked team? Felt a lot like the BS from WVU during the conference realignment days.

It hinged on the myth that NC State was a better traveling fanbase than SU, which was even gulped down by our own syracuse.com writers.

Certainly not true for this particular bowl game, and arguable whether true overall.

Funny thing is nc state landed in a bowl as good as ours.

Well, they also finished 9-3, have a QB that can put a lot of points on the board and their fans are not far away from Jacksonville. They deserve it.

Funny thing is nc state landed in a bowl as good as ours.

It's a good bowl but for ACC teams it's a step below CWB. If we didn't get CWB I'd have loved to go to Gator Bowl. Unfortunately it didn't seem likely for whatever reason. It's definitely the best of our tier 1

But I think this thread is a good reminder for all reporters to not report everything you hear. If you do then you will be wrong a lot. Always good to wait and get confirmation.

Well, they also finished 9-3, have a QB that can put a lot of points on the board and their fans are not far away from Jacksonville. They deserve it.

Yep. I see it as actually a best case scenario for NCST. The Gator really has just as much, if not more name recognition that the "Camping World," and this puts them in the position where if they have another strong season next year, they have lots of good bowls in play before they get sent somewhere cold (e.g., NYC, Detroit, Annapolis) or somewhere desolate (e.g., El Paso).

On a selfish level, Syracuse "camping" worked out well for me too since I cannot attend any bowls this year. Assuming we have another strong season next year, it keeps in play NYC and Annapolis (where i can definitely attend), and a few places I have never been but have wanted to visit (e.g., Nashville, Dallas, SW [El Paso]).

Maybe Camping World will rent RV's at a discount for the drive down to Orlando? A nice all wheel drive camper with all the fixins.

True. We should thank Wake since their win over NC State is what cost the Pack being ranked and finishing 10-2. Couldn't have happened to a better fanbase. Outside of sPitt, I don't think there is an ACC fanbase I hate more than the Pack.

Cheers,
Neil

They are 9-3. Of course they were up for a tier 1 bowl. We just didn’t want Pinstripe.

Someone explain this to me... Nc State played 12 games but their game with WVU was canceled earlier in the season. WVU finished with only 11 games played. What happened here? Was the ECU game an add on?

Someone explain this to me... Nc State played 12 games but their game with WVU was canceled earlier in the season. WVU finished with only 11 games played. What happened here? Was the ECU game an add on?

Yes

True. We should thank Wake since their win over NC State is what cost the Pack being ranked and finishing 10-2. Couldn't have happened to a better fanbase. Outside of sPitt, I don't think there is an ACC fanbase I hate more than the Pack.

Cheers,
Neil
If NC State was 10-2 they likely get into the NY6. They were 14th when they lost to Wake and the teams below them only Washington passes them they get the LSU spot in the Fiesta Bowl most likely.

Yes the mighty wolfpack has non conference wins over furman, james madison, georgia state, ecu, and marshall

If NC State was 10-2 they likely get into the NY6. They were 14th when they lost to Wake and the teams below them only Washington passes them they get the LSU spot in the Fiesta Bowl most likely.

Perhaps, but I think you are being generous. A close win at home over Wake followed up but 3 wins over teams with 2 wins, 2 wins, and 3 wins tells me their ceiling was 14 even though they would be 10-2.

Cheers,
Neil

I wish we were getting NC State's opponent. Would love to be playing A&M.

It's a good bowl but for ACC teams it's a step below CWB.
All this talk about my bowl is better than your bowl... what determines bowl prestige other than day/time/tv slot? Prize money? Hotel amenities? Photo-op with mickey mouse?

Seems everybody missed Miami to the Pinstripe.

That is an interesting one. Like Notre Dame, they have a lot of subway alumni -- but realistically, not in the same numbers.

It will be interesting to see how their real alumni and fan base in South Florida travel to the frigid Bronx. Sure they're marketing it on holidays in the Big Apple, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom