Joe Girard | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard

Status
Not open for further replies.
He absolutely was. Our best defender, and how many times did we see him enter the game and unlock the offense? Too many times to count. Essentially every time he entered the game and played a decent stretch. Look beyond the numbers, Kadary was an absolute gamechanger

The advanced stats that the board loves don’t even back this up. I love Kadary, but they hyperbole around him has got a bit excessive. He’s our best perimeter defender, but he finished 4th in PER, 4th in offensive rating and 5th in win shares per 40.

Pretty interesting, actually... starting with our Jan 6th game against Pitt (which was our first game following our second Covid pause), Joe eclipsed 30 minutes played only 6 times. And SU was 5-1 in those 6 games.
I need to start throwing things I don't want to look up more often. Let's start with Kate Beckinsales phone number

So, if joe was super hot it would be crazy to play him over 30 minutes. We disagree.
We absolutely disagree, because he is a liability with both decision making and defensively. At his tip top physical condition, this is true.

Also, the law of diminishing returns is made for Joe Girard. The more you play him, the more his warts start to show. At least in this current role.

If you want to argue he should play more as a 2G, then let’s have a conversation. But that’s a non-starter argument with the coach’s son and our best offensive player at the same position.

I need to start throwing things I don't want to look up more often. Let's start with Kate Beckinsales phone number
I've got her on hold, ready to patch her through to you right now. Actually, let me talk to her for a couple of minutes myself first...

We absolutely disagree, because he is a liability with both decision making and defensively. At his tip top physical condition, this is true.

Also, the law of diminishing returns is made for Joe Girard. The more you play him, the more his warts start to show. At least in this current role.

If you want to argue he should play more as a 2G, then let’s have a conversation. But that’s a non-starter argument with the coach’s son and our best offensive player at the same position.
We can disagree. That is okay by me. I think Joe can become the kid we hated for the other team. That isn't to say that I would rather have Joe than Kadray. That would not be true. He will just be a better player than he has shown.

The advanced stats that the board loves don’t even back this up. I love Kadary, but they hyperbole around him has got a bit excessive. He’s our best perimeter defender, but he finished 4th in PER, 4th in offensive rating and 5th in win shares per 40.

What? He finished 2nd in BPM. First in DPBM.

He was .3 behind Buddy in PER, btw. So consider that, as well.

Here's the bigger point, do you know where he finished in the advanced stats as it pertains to Joe? He smashed him.

He beat him in PER, TS%, eFG%, WS/40, OBPM, DBPM, BPM.

Again, someone has yet to give me the percentage of coaches they think would choose if they had a choice between Kadary and JGIII. I'm still waiting.

We can disagree. That is okay by me. I think Joe can become the kid we hated for the other team. That isn't to say that I would rather have Joe than Kadray. That would not be true. He will just be a better player than he has shown.
Joe has a place and a role, I think coach puts him in a position that isn’t ideal, and I think Joe compounds that with his style of play. It’s not a good combo.

I love PER as a tool, but there is more to the story than the numbers. Kadary is the player we've been needing desperately for years now. A PG who can put the ball on the floor and create for himself and others. His playmaking was often spectacular, and the number of runs spearheaded by Kadary's play on both ends was too many to count.

What? He finished 2nd in BPM. First in DPBM.

He was .3 behind Buddy in PER, btw. So consider that, as well.

Here's the bigger point, do you know where he finished in the advanced stats as it pertains to Joe? He smashed him.

He beat him in PER, TS%, eFG%, WS/40, OBPM, DBPM, BPM.

Again, someone has yet to give me the percentage of coaches they think would choose if they had a choice between Kadary and JGIII. I'm still waiting.

That wasn’t the point of my post at all. I have agreed all year he should play over Joe, but coming out and saying he’s the best player bar none just isn’t accurate.

I love PER as a tool, but there is more to the story than the numbers. Kadary is the player we've been needing desperately for years now. A PG who can put the ball on the floor and create for himself and others. His playmaking was often spectacular, and the number of runs spearheaded by Kadary's play on both ends was too many to count.

He was .3 behind Buddy, who, I believe, everyone would call our MVP. PER favors bigs, so take it with a grain of salt, but he was basically a push with BUDDY, even after Buddy's on fire streak.

That wasn’t the point of my post at all. I have agreed all year he should play over Joe, but coming out and saying he’s the best player bar none just isn’t accurate.

OK, put all our players into a draft. Who do you think gets picked first the most if every D1 coach got to pick?

He was .3 behind Buddy, who, I believe, everyone would call our MVP. PER favors bigs, so take it with a grain of salt, but he was basically a push with BUDDY, even after Buddy's on fire streak.
Yes, it is also heavily weighted towards offense. Kadary's offense is excellent but he is a complete player

OK, put all our players into a draft. Who do you think gets picked first the most if every D1 coach got to pick?

That’s a good question and I don’t think it’s an easy of an answer as you think. I will now go back to just reading this thread as I originally was doing.

I agree it may not be easy. But there is an *argument* for Kadary to be our best player.

I am in no way disputing Buddy's MVP role on the team this season.

I think at the beginning of the season Quincy was our best player, but then Buddy obviously finished out that way.
The fact this is even a discussion and Richmond was 6th in minutes on the team is enough to say we didn’t reach our ceiling this year.

He just isn’t an ACC caliber player. It’s no offense to him, he’s in his role because he is put in that role.

he is an ACC caliber player, probably not a full time starter though

And just a shout out to Q. I got to believe he's been playing the back half of the year hurt. He's been a shell of the guy that started the year.
I'm considering doing a statistical dive on this. My shallow look suggests that it's pretty clear when looking at his shooting percentages and rebounding when his injuries really started to impact him.

Quincy was in single digits in 6 of the last 13 games. Only happened twice all year before that.
He seemed to be on the perimeter far more than he was last year and the first half of this year. Huge part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom