Joe Girard | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that team suffered because of that. I think we wree barely .500 Oh wait, we went 34-3 and the reason we lost wasn't because of Dion's playing time it was because we lost Fab Melo.
34-3
We didn't go undefeated or win a national title, and the fourth overall pick came off the bench because he apparently didn't deserve to start over Scoop Jardine??? Give me a break.

And regardless of whether that happened in a 34-3 year or a 20-12 style bubble year, Dion would not have started and that's the point.

I mean for the love of God we had the fourth overall pick in the NBA draft coming off the bench behind Scoop and Triche. That's insane.

How many times in 40+ years has a two year starter started on the bench their third year under Jim?
It's not a perfect comparison, but Allen Griffin starting all 33 games as a sophomore in 98-99 (and averaging 27.2 mpg) and then going to 0 games started in 99-00 as a junior (and only 10.7 mpg) is pretty close.

Kadray wasn't our best player. I know the board loves him but he just wasn't.
I don’t think he was, but he makes the biggest difference on the court than anyone.

I don’t think he was, but he makes the biggest difference on the court than anyone.
He didn't make a bigger difference than Buddy in any of the games that put us in the tournament.

We didn't go undefeated or win a national title, and the fourth overall pick came off the bench because he apparently didn't deserve to start over Scoop Jardine??? Give me a break.

And regardless of whether that happened in a 34-3 year or a 20-12 style bubble year, Dion would not have started and that's the point.

I mean for the love of God we had the fourth overall pick in the NBA draft coming off the bench behind Scoop and Triche. That's insane.

Scoop was a 5th year senior and a really good college point guard at that point. He was a better point guard than Dion. So yeah, Scoop absolutely should’ve been the starting point guard.

Your issue should be with the 2 guard spot. Triche was good, but with a lower ceiling than Waiters. That COULDVE went bad, but it actually worked really well. Dion would come in fresh with energy, and with his mentality it was a good fit for him and the team.

Dion played a great 6th man role for a really good OKC team in the NBA too. Some guys’ games/mentalities fit that role to a T.

Without looking it up. how many games did Joe play more than 30 minutes. Not counting Rutgers?
He averaged 28 minutes a game. I know where you’re going with this.

Kadray wasn't our best player. I know the board loves him but he just wasn't.
He absolutely was. Our best defender, and how many times did we see him enter the game and unlock the offense? Too many times to count. Essentially every time he entered the game and played a decent stretch. Look beyond the numbers, Kadary was an absolute gamechanger

He didn't make a bigger difference than Buddy in any of the games that put us in the tournament.
It is arguable we don’t win a couple of those games without him coming in to stop the bleeding. We don’t beat UNC and we don’t make the tournament.

He absolutely was. Our best defender, and how many times did we see him enter the game and unlock the offense? Too many times to count. Essentially every time he entered the game and played a decent stretch. Look beyond the numbers, Kadary was an absolute gamechanger
No. He wasn't. The guy that was scoring 30 pts a game was. I like Kadray a lot. But we have been so starved for a legit pt guard than when we finally do, people overstate what he did. he is good. Going to be better. But he wasn't the best player on the team.

LOL I'm glad you do. I sure don't.
I looked it up the second you told us not to, the plus 30 minute games aren’t as many as I thought there were. But the 25+ is high.

Scoop was a 5th year senior and a really good college point guard at that point. He was a better point guard than Dion. So yeah, Scoop absolutely should’ve been the starting point guard.

Your issue should be with the 2 guard spot. Triche was good, but with a lower ceiling than Waiters. That COULDVE went bad, but it actually worked really well. Dion would come in fresh with energy, and with his mentality it was a good fit for him and the team.

Dion played a great 6th man role for a really good OKC team in the NBA too. Some guys’ games/mentalities fit that role to a T.
Fair enough, but Dion was by far the most talented of the three and should have been starting one way or another. Nine years later I'm hazy on the specifics, and that year in particular I was watching more games in bars in NYC with a group of friends, so I just remember the broad strokes.

It is arguable we don’t win a couple of those games without him coming in to stop the bleeding. We don’t beat UNC and we don’t make the tournament.
Is this a serious post? How about the guy that scored all of the pts? we win without him? As I just said, we have been soi starved for apt guard that we overstate when we finally get one. He is a good player that will get a lot better. But we had a guy scoring 25 pts a game the last 9 games or so. He was our best player.

I looked it up the second you told us not to, the plus 30 minute games aren’t as many as I thought there were. But the 25+ is high.
I said I wouldn't look it up. I'm happy to have other people do the work. 25 isn't 30.

And if you are going to look at it that way, if Joe doesn’t hit 4 threes against West Virginia in the first half, we don’t win that game and advance to play Houston.

Is this a serious post? How about the guy that scored all of the pts? we win without him? As I just said, we have been soi starved for apt guard that we overstate when we finally get one. He is a good player that will get a lot better. But we had a guy scoring 25 pts a game the last 9 games or so. He was our best player.
You’re not going to get me to say anything about Buddy, personally I think JBs old not 10 games comment is more realistic this year than when he said it about Gmac.

Zero doubt in my mind we’re a top 25 team with Buddy and Kadary starting, THIS year. They’re both valuable and Buddy is better when Kadary plays.

And if you are going to look at it that way, if Joe doesn’t hit 4 threes against West Virginia in the first half, we don’t win that game and advance to play Houston.
He gave up just as many as he made.

You’re not going to get me to say anything about Buddy, personally I think JBs old not 10 games comment is more realistic this year than when he said it about Gmac.

Zero doubt in my mind we’re a top 25 team with Buddy and Kadary starting, THIS year. They’re both valuable and Buddy is better when Kadary plays.
If you want to throw Jess in there I will go along with the top 25 . But we aren't top 25 getting murdered on the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom