John O'Korn is transferring from Houston | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

John O'Korn is transferring from Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
he also mentioned Nassib would be a perfect fit for his offense
Lester has stated that he wants to use a 12 personnel package (one RB, two tight end set) and have a variable offense. The 12 Personnel set allows for a running and passing offense without changing personnel groupings. New England, with Tom Brady made the 12 "offensive set" famous with Gronk….and Hernandez. This offensive set has a tight end split out along with an in line tight end and gives the defense a run..or a pass look and create favorable match ups if you have a tight end being covered by a linebacker or nickel back. A "pocket" passer fits well in this type of system. The kid from Oregon is 6-4 and could develop into a pocket passer. Wilson is only a pocket passer. The odd man out would seem to be AJ, but his ball skills with physical development, translates well to competing for time…

Dr. Bill said:
Lester has stated that he wants to use a 12 personnel package (one RB, two tight end set) and have a variable offense. The 12 Personnel set allows for a running and passing offense without changing personnel groupings. New England, with Tom Brady made the 12 "offensive set" famous with Gronk….and Hernandez. This offensive set has a tight end split out along with an in line tight end and gives the defense a run..or a pass look and create favorable match ups if you have a tight end being covered by a linebacker or nickel back. A "pocket" passer fits well in this type of system. The kid from Oregon is 6-4 and could develop into a pocket passer. Wilson is only a pocket passer. The odd man out would seem to be AJ, but his ball skills with physical development, translates well to competing for time…
You can go four wide and run or pass without changing personnel.

The 12 package is, of course, not new and, with its wide front, is most often employed by power teams. NFL teams use it as a 3-4 beater. In the NFL it is only used about 20% of the time.

I am really curious what Lester has in mind. Without a Gronk (and they don't grow on trees) it becomes a power formation. Lester seems to like play action a great deal and he also seems to like the TE option as a check down so I can see that part fitting.

It seems to me that it works best with a dual threat QB. O'Korn is a pro style so it would look a lot different than if someone like Hunt is in there. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

We are so freakin desperate for a QB we would be excited about anyone promising.
I wouldn't go that far, but he would take the spot that Edouard could have taken. Just pray Hunt doesn't get injured again.

Crusty said:
The 12 package is, of course, not new and, with its wide front, is most often employed by power teams. NFL teams use it as a 3-4 beater. In the NFL it is only used about 20% of the time. I am really curious what Lester has in mind. Without a Gronk (and they don't grow on trees) it becomes a power formation. Lester seems to like play action a great deal and he also seems to like the TE option as a check down so I can see that part fitting. It seems to me that it works best with a dual threat QB. O'Korn is a pro style so it would look a lot different than if someone like Hunt is in there. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

That's kind of the base package. A run 1st power formation - Wisconsin runs it 90% of the time. Pitt did some of that too.

But in the YouTube videos he does a lot of interesting things.

About 1/3 of the time, the TE is flexed out in the slot - or way out with the other two WR on the same side of the field.

Sometimes the TE goes in motion and ends up in the backfield as a FB - and then the run out of that formation - sometimes a zone read kind of look with the QB keeping it. A few times they faked the run and got a naked boot out of the look for a big pass play.

I have no idea if any of this will work at P5 level and if we have the TE to run it (thought I'm very high on Dunk). It certainly provides more questions than a classic spread or air raid (as pointed out by the spreadistas on this board).

he also mentioned Nassib would be a perfect fit for his offense
If you can throw the football, you can be a QB regardless of offense. You won't see as many QB runs if OKorn is the guy, but you also won't see as many bad decisions throwing the ball and hopefully not as many terrible throws.

But you won't know until it plays out one way or the other...

That's kind of the base package. A run 1st power formation - Wisconsin runs it 90% of the time. Pitt did some of that too.

But in the YouTube videos he does a lot of interesting things.

About 1/3 of the time, the TE is flexed out in the slot - or way out with the other two WR on the same side of the field.

Sometimes the TE goes in motion and ends up in the backfield as a FB - and then the run out of that formation - sometimes a zone read kind of look with the QB keeping it. A few times they faked the run and got a naked boot out of the look for a big pass play.

I have no idea if any of this will work at P5 level and if we have the TE to run it (thought I'm very high on Dunk). It certainly provides more questions than a classic spread or air raid (as pointed out by the spreadistas on this board).

Honestly I just want TEs who know how to F-ing block LBs. Our WRs forget that blocking is as important as running routes or McD didn't trained them to block LBs because he only wanted to do Millhouse's spread offense and have them just run routes.

A 220-230 pound LB can shed 175-185 pound WR block much easier than a 245-255 lb TE block. That second level block can be a significant difference in yards gain! If the TE can catch a pass then we have a dual threat TE like Gronk but that is asking for a lot out of that position - with all the TEs we are bringing in maybe we will get lucky with 1 or 2 of them.

You can go four wide and run or pass without changing personnel.

We don't have four capable wide receivers.

I think Lester intends to be multiple in that he wants to play to his teams strengths relative to the defensive weaknesses. In McDonald's spread we had WRs that were neither faster not stronger than the LBs they were going against. This gives me hope with Lester where he sets some basic principles then adjusts yearly for his personnel.

I think Lester intends to be multiple in that he wants to play to his teams strengths relative to the defensive weaknesses. In McDonald's spread we had WRs that were neither faster not stronger than the LBs they were going against. This gives me hope with Lester where he sets some basic principles then adjusts yearly for his personnel.
You can obviously run out of a four wide set, but you don't have the "Power" aspect to dominate run blocking…

"Multiple" is one of those words I find suspicious in this usage. What does that really mean? College playbooks have hundreds of plays and install 20-40 of them for a particular game. Virtually any offensive system can be said to be "multiple". Personally, I think Lester was just blowing off the question when he said that. Same thing with the comment about Nassib.

RICuse44 said:
We don't have four capable wide receivers. I think Lester intends to be multiple in that he wants to play to his teams strengths relative to the defensive weaknesses. In McDonald's spread we had WRs that were neither faster not stronger than the LBs they were going against. This gives me hope with Lester where he sets some basic principles then adjusts yearly for his personnel.
You don't need 4

Park them at the sidelines and if they're uncovered take five free yards

anyone know if he is trying to come to a school in January or wait till May?

You can obviously run out of a four wide set, but you don't have the "Power" aspect to dominate run blocking…

No, but you take defenders out of the box and you don't need power. It's what Baylor does well.

I've been looking at the Florida and Wisconsin boards this morning, and it's going to irritate the crap out of me if we don't land him. No fans from either school seem to actually give a about whether they get him, whereas (almost) everyone here is giddy at the prospect of bringing him in.

Hey, O'Korn, if you're reading this: come to Syracuse, a school where the fanbase is EXCITED AS HELL to have you.

The Big ACC??

Stupid decision by him if not Syracuse.

Go sit, enjoy.

This sounds like Wisky to me. Dang it.
Yup. I keep thinking of a line from The Princess Bride that seems to sum up being a Cuse fan of late, "Get used to disappointment".

I hate Wisconsin and will hate them more if they beat us out AGAIN. They have plenty of QBs there already and does the kid even have a relationship with Chryst?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom