Jordan Tucker Derail Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Jordan Tucker Derail Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you kidding me? JB did a hell of job coaching this team the second half of the season. Most of you assumed a losing record and were wondering if we would win any conference games. It did take the team a while to jell and JB should have switched to Gillon earlier, I'll give you that.

Yeah. A hell of a job. The second half of the season.

The first half was about as bad as it could get. So let's just meet in the middle and say it was mediocre.

I wonder how many coaches defeated three top ten teams during their worst season of coaching.

Not many, that shows you how good of a coach he is, and how good the program is, doesn't change the fact he did his worst coaching job, and underachieved.

Eh, not sure how talented the team was. Maybe the coaches deserve blame for player development since Howard and Roberson really regressed. Chukwu had some time in the system and looked clueless even before the eye injury. With Coleman hobbled, no Chewie, and a bad combo on D with TT and Lydon playing the 5; you are gonna have problems. The staff put us in the position of having PG problems. A collection of good shooters but not enough ballhandlers and passing. But, why JB always had Roberson and Coleman as the rollers in PNR is something I'll always be perplexed about.

Yeah. A hell of a job. The second half of the season.

The first half was about as bad as it could get. So let's just meet in the middle and say it was mediocre.
A classic growth vs. proficiency debate.

Eh, not sure how talented the team was. Maybe the coaches deserve blame for player development since Howard and Roberson really regressed. Chukwu had some time in the system and looked clueless even before the eye injury. With Coleman hobbled, no Chewie, and a bad combo on D with TT and Lydon playing the 5; you are gonna have problems. The staff put us in the position of having PG problems. But, why JB always had Roberson and Coleman as the rollers in PNR is something I'll always be perplexed about.
Tyler Cavanaugh was in play for us last spring and summer as well.

Red seems to be able to close with the same head coach so I don't know...

My main and pretty much only gripe with the GMac situation is I just wish they would stop trying to force feed him into this role of being the staff's heavy hitter on the trail. I get trying to develop him but there can be some in-between. Give GMac some of these targets but why do we feel like he needs to be the lead on such a high percentage, especially when he hasn't proven to be effective? Red is a proven recruiter so use him.

Honest question- Does GMAC have charisma? He appears shy to me but I don't know him or have ever seen him interactively. Recruiters are salesmen by nature and charmers win

Honest question- Does GMAC have charisma? He appears shy to me but I don't know him or have ever seen him interactively. Recruiters are salesmen by nature and charmers win

GMac is very outgoing. Try to find one of his tv interviews. You'll be surprised.

GMac is very outgoing. Try to find one of his tv interviews. You'll be surprised.

I've met him. Nice guy but he's not very charismatic. Certain guys light up the room, not sure Gerry does.

I've met him. Nice guy but he's not very charismatic. Certain guys light up the room, not sure Gerry does.

I have too. Lighting up a room isn't how I'd describe him either. But neither do any of the other coaches the way Hop did. But GMac is very outgoing and confident. There have been several recruits who have spoken very highly of him and many of those quotes have been in the recruiting threads.

I have too. Lighting up a room isn't how I'd describe him either. But neither do any of the other coaches the way Hop did. But GMac is very outgoing and confident. There have been several recruits who have spoken very highly of him and many of those quotes have been in the recruiting threads.

Oh, I agree. I'd describe his presence as a humble confidence. He's obviously a nice guy. I've spoken at length with Matt Moyer about Gerry. They're very close. Gerry is definitely more quiet than boisterous. When Hop is in the room, you recognize him. If Gerry wasn't famous in basketball circles, you might not notice him. Autry is really outgoing, funny and personable. And I'd say charismatic.

Gerry's approach can work but charisma is important in recruiting.

Oh, I agree. I'd describe his presence as a humble confidence. He's obviously a nice guy. I've spoken at length with Matt Moyer about Gerry. They're very close. Gerry is definitely more quiet than boisterous. When Hop is in the room, you recognize him. If Gerry wasn't famous in basketball circles, you might not notice him. Autry is really outgoing, funny and personable. And I'd say charismatic.

Gerry's approach can work but charisma is important in recruiting.

Given those descriptions it's weird that GMAC would be point over Autry on such important recruitments

Is there a rule against recruitment twitter edits for basketball? Our football program KILLS it and it makes me wish we'd make one for basketball recruits. It seems i haven't seen many though.

Is there a rule against recruitment twitter edits for basketball? Our football program KILLS it and it makes me wish we'd make one for basketball recruits. It seems i haven't seen many though.
No rule against it.

I wonder how many coaches defeated three top ten teams during their worst season of coaching.
How many teams that beat three top ten teams finish with a 19-15 record?

How many teams that beat three top ten teams finish with a 19-15 record?
And lost to St Johns a thing home by 30 and gave up 90+ points to BC

Who did GMac miss out on other than Green and Ayala? I don't know if Troy Weaver would have been able to close with those two.
This may be going a bit overboard. Regardless of what anyone thinks of GMac's recruiting acumen, Weaver would have had those guys signed, sealed and delivered in November.

I'll add Diallo to my Weaver list. MJ Walker? What went down with Randolph? I wasn't following his recruitment.
Diallo doesn't do college. But I agree, Weaver wouldn't have been able to outbattle WWWes.

And if you're a long time fan of the program, you will know that except for last year, pretty much every year I can remember, we had almost all of our recruits in place by the November signing period. We very rarely had spring signees, and almost never took transfers. The change this past year or two has been startling, and to me, it screams that we can't close on recruits like we used to do.
Leading into our second "golden era" not that long ago, we often would not only have our recruiting class locked up by November, but we'd often have a junior commitment or two in place, which in turn enabled our coaching staff to focus on building relationships in the junior class and sophomore class, which in turn helped to lock up those prospects early, which perpetuated the cycle.

Being on the complete opposite tail of the spectrum does indeed suggest an alarming trend with recruiting. This is the second consecutive year that we're heading into the offseason with major holes in the roster that are unfilled, and a roster that can't even field a practice with two full units of scholarship players.

Something is indeed off. And it is more than just the NCAA sanctions.

Signing players at the last minute doesn't seem like a good place to be. Maybe I'm wrong.
I agree in principle with you, but I wanted to note that several blue blood programs are out shopping to fill their classes as well...

Are you kidding me? JB did a hell of job coaching this team the second half of the season. Most of you assumed a losing record and were wondering if we would win any conference games. It did take the team a while to jell and JB should have switched to Gillon earlier, I'll give you that.
giphy.gif

I'm telling you info from as close as you can get. I won't give anymore updates on this website. Enjoy either MJ Walker or Jordan Tucker dropping 30 on Syracuse(that was me trash talking lol)
Enjoy actually trying to make the NCAA tournament again.
Missing it 7 years in a row is a joke.

That is embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online