JT III Out at Georgetown | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

JT III Out at Georgetown

It's actually pretty amazing to think that Georgetown had Ewing, Mutumbo, Mourning, and Iverson. That's 4 HOFers.

Washington Post article this morning said Ewing is interviewing for the job.

I think this is now a done deal because they do not want any further embarrassment.

It seems obvious that they fired JT III without a plan. And that they were operating under the assumption that there were plenty of other coaching candidates out there and that any of them would love to come to Georgetown.

When they were turned down repeatedly, it must have been a shock. And I'm sure some candidates didn't make the list because Big John wouldn't hear of it.

To replace JTIII with Patrick Ewing could not have been the plan all along. It's the best they could come up with and they couldn't keep working down their list of coaching candidates.

Especially with Big John sitting there with veto power over their choice.

Poor JT III. It's one thing to be replaced by Shaka Smart or Tom Crean. But to be replaced by Patrick Ewing? Ouuuch!!!

Washington Post article this morning said Ewing is interviewing for the job.

I think this is now a done deal because they do not want any further embarrassment.

It seems obvious that they fired JT III without a plan. And that they were operating under the assumption that there were plenty of other coaching candidates out there and that any of them would love to come to Georgetown.

When they were turned down repeatedly, it must have been a shock. And I'm sure some candidates didn't make the list because Big John wouldn't hear of it.

To replace JTIII with Patrick Ewing could not have been the plan all along. It's the best they could come up with and they couldn't keep working down their list of coaching candidates.

Especially with Big John sitting there with veto power over their choice.

Poor JT III. It's one thing to be replaced by Shaka Smart or Tom Crean. But to be replaced by Patrick Ewing? Ouuuch!!!

If for some reason they do not get Ewing to sign up, I wonder where they look next. Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje? Boubacar Aw? Horace Broadnax?

LOL, Georgetown really has some clueless and classless fans.

Thompson actually did a heck of a job for awhile. That program was dead for almost a decade before he took over.

That they will go this far to trash him after he stopped being able to perform the miracle of winning at that craphole speaks volumes about their lack of knowledge, class, and intelligence. Horrible fanbase. Nobody wants that job.

07 was a long time ago, since then its been nothing but early tournament flameouts to lower seeds and bad seasons. I can't blame a Gtown fan for wanting a change.

Actually, to answer my own question above, if Ewing does not take the Gtown job, I think it'll go to this guy:

Mount St. Mary's

I heard Michael Wilbon on Mike and Mike today, I thought he made a great comparison between the Gtown situation and the DePaul situation, basically as a warning to Georgetown. Legendary dad replaced by son who ends up getting canned. Urban campus in great neighborhood with great HS talent around playing in a half empty off campus arena . Thinking your program is more than it is and falling into a hoops abyss. Gtown has the ever present JT the 2nd still around, unlike DePaul, which makes things even more interesting.

Well, if it is Ewing, this will be the third coach installed by JT Jr.

He put his hapless assistant in after he stepped down. Esherick was, in my mind, just a placeholder while JTIII built up his bona fides. JT Jr probably knew he was going to fail and was fine with that.

Then he put his son in there for obvious reasons.

Now he puts his adopted son in there.

This isn't the Georgetown University Basketball program. This is the John Thompson Jr. Basketball program which operates out of free offices on the Georgetown campus.

He put his hapless assistant in after he stepped down. Esherick was, in my mind, just a placeholder while JTIII built up his bona fides. JT Jr probably knew he was going to fail and was fine with that.

This isn't the Georgetown University Basketball program. This is the John Thompson Jr. Basketball program which operates out of free offices on the Georgetown campus.

Townie72 do you know if John Thompson Jr still gets a check from Gtown. Didn't he continue to get paid after stepping down?

Townie72 do you know if John Thompson Jr still gets a check from Gtown. Didn't he continue to get paid after stepping down?

He absolutely draws a paycheck and he has very nice offices on campus. (Think of Tony Soprano's job as the consultant to the Waste management business. But with a much nicer office than the one Tony had.)

In this vein, can anyone come up with a reason that JTIII should have been in the top echelons of coaching compensation ($3.6M per year?)

It was pure highway robbery.

07 was a long time ago, since then its been nothing but early tournament flameouts to lower seeds and bad seasons. I can't blame a Gtown fan for wanting a change.

I don't blame them at all for wanting a change. But claiming he ruined the program is flat out incorrect, editing his Wikipedia page to trash him...just ridiculous and classless.

I don't blame them at all for wanting a change. But claiming he ruined the program is flat out incorrect, editing his Wikipedia page to trash him...just ridiculous and classless.

The problem is that its really no change as long as JTjr is still there. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to fire JT3 unless you are going to send JTjr packing as well. Townie has explained this dynamic very well over the course of this thread.

Will JB be able to do same at SU?

Will JB be able to do same at SU?

I don't think so. (One never knows until it actually happens or doesn't happen.)

As opposed to JTJr, JB seems to care about the University. JT Jr has always been for himself first. If you recall the Las Vegas deal that JT set up with the father of one of his player's. It stunk so bad, the University made him withdraw.

One of JT Jr's Aces in the hole is his willingness to play the Race Card. Georgetown and the media, local and national, are terrified of that prospect. So they bow down to him.

SU isn't as beholden to JB as GU was to JT Jr. This was Georgetown's only athletic success. (Unless you want to count their 1939 football team in the Orange Bowl)

I see Boeheim bowing out gracefully.

I'm pretty sure that lots of AD's and Presidents watched the Georgetown drama unfold and have learned some lessons.

The good news is we have a couple of years to plan this thing, to identify candidates, to gain a consensus on what types of coaches we would consider and to lay out the process. (More like Washington or even Indiana and less like Georgetown)

It could be worse, you could be Sean Miller and receive death threats from your own fanbase for losing in the sweet 16.

Ewing will need a big time recruiter on his staff or this will be delicious watch.

Tagliabue lost his coup attempt at ridding JT Jr. of his power from Georgetown.

JT3 for Ewing is laughable.

Let's be real here. When JB goes, its not like we are going to go all Archie Miller and get the best candidate out there.

Actually as it turns out at any given time there are not a lot of ideal candidates out there.

This GU thing makes the U of Washington people look very smart and organized.

I think part ot JT IIIs problem was that the University has increasingly restricted the Basketball program from bringing in rock heads and thugs. If PE has to operate in this environment, GU will have to look for very good BB players, who are also good students.

A Herculean task.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom