JT III Out at Georgetown | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

JT III Out at Georgetown

I'd love to see the list of the SU fans in comparison.

Many seemed to be targeting Jay Wright a few weeks ago.

I don't think he's coming here in a million years, but I don't see the harm in reaching out to guy like Wright when the time comes.

I don't think he's coming here in a million years, but I don't see the harm in reaching out to guy like Wright when the time comes.

Yeah. And there's no harm in playing the lottery either. Especially if you are a fan of very low probability events actually happening. I get the sense that sometimes this sort of thing (e.g. GU and Brey) are done as a matter of form and to satisfy the braying fan base.

But this is tantamount to Napoleon Dynamite asking Summer to the prom. Everybody knows it ain't happening.

When JB retires the odds strongly point to a new coach for whom this job is a significant promotion and not a lateral or even slightly positive move. And as predictable as this is, the whining that will ensue after the fact is as predictable.

Yeah. And there's no harm in playing the lottery either. Especially if you are a fan of very low probability events actually happening. I get the sense that sometimes this sort of thing (e.g. GU and Brey) are done as a matter of form and to satisfy the braying fan base.

But this is tantamount to Napoleon Dynamite asking Summer to the prom. Everybody knows it ain't happening.

When JB retires the odds strongly point to a new coach for whom this job is a significant promotion and not a lateral or even slightly positive move. And as predictable as this is, the whining that will ensue after the fact is as predictable.

Eh. Miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take :noidea:

But yeah. People expecting a coach to make a lateral move here are setting themselves up for disappointment.

But Jimmy Boeheim has skills, you know, like numchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills...

A friend of mine who work in the athletic department of Seattle University just texted me JT3 to Seattle U. He grew up in Syracuse and I think he was joking but I'm not sure. They fired Cameron Dollar and our a small catholic school that has only been D1 for like 5 years. I just texted him back asking if he was joking or serious. I also said that is true I want to walk by JT3 in the hallway of the athletic department and ask him what time it is.

Great comedy occurring on both the Casual Hoya and HoyaTalk websites as GU fans start to realize that their top tier and even second tier choices aren't interested.

Patrick Ewing is the available choice if they want to "keep it in the family". Which means that Big John remains as the puppet master.

Many insist it has to be a Black coach, which reduces the field of possibilities significantly.

Every SU fan should be required to watch this drama play out. We will be going through the same process in 12 to 24 months.

Great comedy occurring on both the Casual Hoya and HoyaTalk websites as GU fans start to realize that their top tier and even second tier choices aren't interested.

Patrick Ewing is the available choice if they want to "keep it in the family". Which means that Big John remains as the puppet master.

Many insist it has to be a Black coach, which reduces the field of possibilities significantly.

Every SU fan should be required to watch this drama play out. We will be going through the same process in 12 to 24 months.
Why do you feel the need to put a time frame on Boeheim's retirement? It only hurts him and the staffs recruiting ability.

Why do you feel the need to put a time frame on Boeheim's retirement? It only hurts him and the staffs recruiting ability.
I came away with the impression that this was a two year deal. I thought I heard that in the JB and Wildhack press conference. Maybe that was the contract that was signed, which could be extended.

If recruits are looking here for clues as to when Boeheim will leave, they've got bigger problems than deciding where they're going to college.
Why speak to it at all anywhere. JAB is the coach for the next 10 years. He is in a nice spot to put together another great era.

If recruits are looking here for clues as to when Boeheim will leave, they've got bigger problems than deciding where they're going to college.

I hear that recruits lurk this site strictly for political news and to determine if JB is leaning Man or Zone for next year.

Somebody screwed around with JT3's Wikipedia bio:

"There is no need for further writing of accomplishments because Thompson did not have any noteworthy accomplishments in his coaching career at Georgetown."

Somebody screwed around with JT3's Wikipedia bio:

"There is no need for further writing of accomplishments because Thompson did not have any noteworthy accomplishments in his coaching career at Georgetown."

Thompson is the son of John Thompson, Jr. (Georgetown's head coach from 1972 to 1999), and a 1988 graduate of Princeton. Despite one's thinking that he would be smart because he attended Princeton, the exact opposite is true. He single-handedly ruined a top-tier basketball program shortly after graduation.

Take this for what it's worth, but I work in media here in Charlotte. Was walking in the tunnel after the Hornets game on Friday and Pat Ewing was walking out. Some sort of rep with the Hornets said, "Don't forget about us little people when you're at Georgetown. Congratulations." Pat did respond with a thank you. Again, nothing official by any means but from the looks of it, Pat Ewing will be the next coach at Georgetown.

Take this for what it's worth, but I work in media here in Charlotte. Was walking in the tunnel after the Hornets game on Friday and Pat Ewing was walking out. Some sort of rep with the Hornets said, "Don't forget about us little people when you're at Georgetown. Congratulations." Pat did respond with a thank you. Again, nothing official by any means but from the looks of it, Pat Ewing will be the next coach at Georgetown.
Did he mumble it or appear sincere?

Makes sense.

No one can be sure if this is true, but if it is, here's how things probably played out:

Just like everyplace, the list of candidates the search committee started with was based upon their own assessment of how great an opportunity this was, how great the school was, and how great the tradition was. They couldn't see the inherent problems that candidates could see.

But then they hit reality. Their dream candidates weren't interested. I think, in part, because any coach coming in had the specter of Big John sitting there in his office in the JT Jr Athletic Center with access to the University president and the DC press.

Ewing is a candidate that Big John would support. Ewing is 100% inside the GU "family" and 100% under the control of Big John.

The Tagliabue search effort pretty clearly lost steam when they were continually rebuffed. So faced with a bunch of weaker candidates, they took the path of least resistance.

This is a re-affirmation of the JT Jr years and not a a further rebuff. This is helps soothe the sting of having his son fired.

So GU will have --- if Ewing is named --- someone who has never been even considered for any head coaching job previously.

This isn't the Georgetown University basketball program. This is, and always has been, the John Thompson, Jr. basketball program. He's operating it like a franchise on the GU campus.

LOL, Georgetown really has some clueless and classless fans.

Thompson actually did a heck of a job for awhile. That program was dead for almost a decade before he took over.

That they will go this far to trash him after he stopped being able to perform the miracle of winning at that craphole speaks volumes about their lack of knowledge, class, and intelligence. Horrible fanbase. Nobody wants that job.

haven't read thru all the posts but why not baltimores herman harried ? he's one hoya i could root for.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom