Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you add 2 guys how would that be banking on potential? We've got several targets in 2024. It's very likely this year makes or breaks for guys like Bell, JT, Benny and Copeland.

How many do you want to add then? What's the number? Lot of comments on dancing around this...
I was referring to your comment about shooting. Given the state of the program, are you willing to risk a leap in the off-season or would you get player(s) that have proven they can hit shots at a respectable clip? If the roster doesn't make that developmental step, you're looking at this past season all over again.

As far as the number of players I'd want to bring in? 2-3. One of those players was Starling to replace Girard. They need 3 and D type players. Many here are hoping that Benny turns it on. He's had plenty opportunity to prove otherwise. For 2023-24, it's now or never or the book will have been written for him. Maliq plays below the rim and Bell isn't inclined to do much besides sit on the perimeter.

You can't turn the entire roster over, but there are juniors and seniors entering the portal who may be able to help from Day 1 especially since there's only a single HS commit for the 2023 class. They need to make up for the lack of prep signees.

I was referring to your comment about shooting. Given the state of the program, are you willing to risk a leap in the off-season or would you get player(s) that have proven they can hit shots at a respectable clip? If the roster doesn't make that developmental step, you're looking at this past season all over again.

As far as the number of players I'd want to bring in? 2-3. One of those players was Starling to replace Girard. They need 3 and D type players. Many here are hoping that Benny turns it on. He's had plenty opportunity to prove otherwise. For 2023-24, it's now or never or the book will have been written for him. Maliq plays below the rim and Bell isn't inclined to do much besides sit on the perimeter.

You can't turn the entire roster over, but there are juniors and seniors entering the portal who may be able to help from Day 1 especially since there's only a single HS commit for the 2023 class. They need to make up for the lack of prep signees.

Fair enough. A couple things.

When it comes to Benny- it was a small sample size but he showed up in a big way at the very end of the season. He finished shooting 39 pct from 3. His effort and effectiveness was on clear display. New coach, better relationship with said coach and a sample of what he can be as a college player. To me that's not potential or taking a flyer at all.

Bell we know can shoot it. Taylor we know can shoot it. I see them both as bench guys. You typically are bringing in stronger players if they are going to have a key role. Bringing in a third ball handler to me at least is more important than another shooter. After Judah we don't know much. JJ can handle it yes so maybe we know enough there. After you look at Quadir who certainly can handle the ball and is a candidate to break out but is turnover prone. So we need that other guy who can attack off the bounce and break pressure.

I'd argue as shooters we saw enough from Bell and JT. They need to improve defensively. Again though still being bench guys not 30 min a game starters until they either get better ... or don’t

I'm all for ditching the zone and playing more than 7 guys but it just wouldn't be Syracuse Basketball if our 50/50 underclassman didn't stay in the draft

It's tough- Judah has things in his game that are elite.. including almost no one can stay in front of him and he is elite in the mid range. The other things valuable to the NBA - started to come around including running the pnr offense and hitting the 3ball. Potential is very high. Hopefully he still comes back... but if he doesn't it sucks but hard to call it a shocker even with everything shared on here so far.

In addition to Judah's play next year boosting him into the First Round, the 2024 draft is not nearly as strong as the 2023 draft, and that alone would be worth several slots.
Seems like people say that every single year to talk themselves into thinking so-and-so should come back. There’s no way of knowing how next year projects.

Last edited:
Good and correct take here from Tyler Lydon.

Blah blah blah. I love Lydon (and Judah), but fans don’t need the lecture. If you don’t like the commentary, ignore the noise and don’t spend all your time looking at your social media mentions. You’re all millionaires or going to be. You wouldn’t be rich if it weren’t for sports fans’ support. I don’t have much sympathy for players whining about fans publicly lamenting when guys turn pro. Sure, some of the fan commentary is over the top and unwarranted, and that’s uncool, and no one should “bash” players, but fans talking about whether a player should turn pro or not is totally acceptable.

Blah blah blah. I love Lydon (and Judah), but fans don’t need the lecture. If you don’t like the commentary, ignore the noise and don’t spend all your time looking at your social media mentions. You’re all millionaires or going to be. You wouldn’t be rich if it weren’t for sports fans’ support. I don’t have much sympathy for players whining about fans publicly lamenting when guys turn pro. Sure, some of the fan commentary is over the top and unwarranted, and that’s uncool, and no one should “bash” players, but fans talking about whether a player should turn pro or not is totally acceptable.

If fans were casually saying things sure.. but what's out there and directly messaged to these kids is pretty despicable. It's a fair take. There is so much that goes into even being good enough to play collegiately let alone pro. For me , if you are a pro already on a contract, sure fair game. As still a kid- I'm with Tyler on this.

My take is that Judah is gone. He will be successful. When he started hitting 3s I knew it was over. Lydons take is cookie-cutter and condescending to "real" fans. Let's also not act like Judah is broke. his family has $$. Not every player is broke

My take is that Judah is gone. He will be successful. When he started hitting 3s I knew it was over. Lydons take is cookie-cutter and condescending to "real" fans. Let's also not act like Judah is broke. his family has $$. Not every player is broke
The point is that fans can have a take but just say "hope you come back but good luck if you go pro." Anything else is unnecessary. These players have dreams to be in the NBA not play for Syracuse.

I'm tired of this argument

Players can do what they want

Fans can be disappointed. Fans can express disappointment

When they are jerks about it then that's not ok

Not hard
Much better way of saying what I attempted to. Agree.

He shoots 30% from 3. If this were baseball that would be good. That's abysmal for a guard especially in this era of the NBA where you have to be able to shoot in order to stick. If he were shooting 36-40%, I'd have helped him pack his bags because he'd have been a late first round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom