Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the delta btw NIL top level payout, another year of free living at SU (tax free) vs second round borderline guaranteed money? I think ultimately that's the decision tree.

I'd stay at Syracuse personally. The real world is really crummy right now and if it's not going to come with a guaranteed first round million dollar contract why do it
Room and board is taxable. Probably not an issue, until you add NIL.

Attachments

• 4F1656C0-AC72-42EF-AEF6-DA3461CA7CE4.png
    4F1656C0-AC72-42EF-AEF6-DA3461CA7CE4.png
    441 KB · Views: 54
This video reminded me of some things I anecdotally discounted without seeing him play every night:
- Jesse is a such a better player with Judah facilitating.
- Judah is much further along with his off hand than most Jr guards; both passing and shooting.
- He has an uncanny ability to read lazy/confused on defenders and make decisions quickly.
- His fearlessness with regards to driving and drawing contact is amazing; this is an intangible that reminds me of Jonny Flynn. I didn’t realize how many fouls he drew per game. Very impressive.
- Great hops for his size and an uncanny ability to make the first move at the right time. Not slow, but not the fastest either. Regardless, he beats his defender to the turn at such a high percentage that it couldn’t possibly be luck. He has a feel for when to go that is innate.
- Good form on jumpers, but needs some mild tweaks. His jumper actually looks way better than shooting %’s show. This is an area that I think having a high quality Jesse actually detracts from his opportunity to showcase.
- Not a great catch and shoot guy. That can be cured with more gym work. That said, i believe it’s more of an issue with lack of comfortability. He was always the ace on his teams and handling the ball. I think he’s just not yet confident enough yet being the catch and shoot guy, because his shot seems much more rushed in those highlights.

This draft is loaded with talent, so I believe he’s somewhat drawing the short straw. If Jesse returns, I don’t believe we will see a significantly different Judah next year, but I do believe that his confidence will increase; resulting in even greater efficiency. If Jesse doesn’t return, I think we will get to see Judah take more jump shots and I have zero doubts he will make them at a better clip.

Looking at the freshman class this season, I think Judah easily could hit lottery with a return next year, with upside being a top 7 pick.

Room and board is taxable. Probably not an issue, until you add NIL.
Room and board at 97% of 4yr degree programs is at or below the standard deduction rate for 2022; which given inflation; will actually likely grow to 98% in 2023. Given they are extremely limited in actual ability and compliant work arrangements, it’s somewhat a misnomer to just present the stated facts to a novice; though I recognize what you quoted isn’t wrong. NIL changes the game, as any scholarship athlete accepting NIL will be paying taxes on most of those dollars earned.

Btw.. a merely competent tax advisor can easily wash away the income from room and board without needing the standard deduction. A JD/CPA could show you how to get a refund in this situation without paying a single tax dollar. I qualify these statements to exclude NIL income.

Room and board at 97% of 4yr degree programs is at or below the standard deduction rate for 2022; which given inflation; will actually likely grow to 98% in 2023. Given they are extremely limited in actual ability and compliant work arrangements, it’s somewhat a misnomer to just present the stated facts to a novice; though I recognize what you quoted isn’t wrong. NIL changes the game, as any scholarship athlete accepting NIL will be paying taxes on most of those dollars earned.

Btw.. a merely competent tax advisor can easily wash away the income from room and board without needing the standard deduction. A JD/CPA could show you how to get a refund in this situation without paying a single tax dollar. I qualify these statements to exclude NIL income.
Mine was just a bare bones statement refuting “tax-free”. I do appreciate the depth of the answer to the various issues

2nd round makes no sense and that’s where he is. Next year auto first round. This message is driven home constantly with him
Glad to hear this. Hopefully he agrees and sees it. I’m sure he does. It’s so obvious to go through the workouts and get feedback since the rules allow it. But until he announces he’s coming back it’s gonna be a rough couple months waiting lol

In addition to Judah's play next year boosting him into the First Round, the 2024 draft is not nearly as strong as the 2023 draft, and that alone would be worth several slots.

I don’t know who I was listening to on TV but one analyst said overall this years draft is stronger than what next years will be but as to guards, and PGs in particular, next years will be stronger.

I don’t know who I was listening to on TV but one analyst said overall this years draft is stronger than what next years will be but as to guards, and PGs in particular, next years will be stronger.

Thats the thing...it's a relatively weak year for guards. How many are clearly better than Mintz?

It only takes one team...

I was thinking the same thing. If that means Judah is back as well, now we are rolling.

If this is the case that certainly provides still for one big portal add.

True Gs -Judah, JJ
Hybrid G/Fs- JT, Quadir
Forwards- Benny, Bell, Brown
Bigs- Jesse, Hima

Developmental guys- Carey, Patterson

Bradley as that last piece in a clear 10 man rotation would be great. Lots of flexibility of playing small or going with a bigger lineup too.

Shooting will be the key but there is certainly high potential. Judah started to show the 3 ball, JJ has excellent form and came into college a good shooter from 3, Bell and JT are the true shooters and then Benny is the wildcard. He finished the year on a 9-13 tear and while his short range jumper is no bueno, his feet and form from 3 looked pure.

True Gs -Judah, JJ
Hybrid G/Fs- JT, Quadir
Bigs- Jesse, Hima

Bradley as that last piece in a clear 10 man rotation would be great. Lots of flexibility of playing small or going with a bigger lineup too.

Shooting will be the key but there is certainly high potential. Judah started to show the 3 ball, JJ has excellent form and came into college a good shooter from 3, Bell and JT are the true shooters and then Benny is the wildcard. He finished the year on a 9-13 tear and while his short range jumper is no bueno, his feet and form from 3 looked pure.
They can definitely pickup 1 more impact player from the portal. I think they have some roster flexibility (assuming Judah is back) to go after whoever they think fits best on this roster without being pigeon-holed to one position.

Tacking on- you add Bradley or other high level guy ( not hung up on Bradley just referring to him given Jakes note) to this mix and you would be potentially starting 4 former 5 star recruits most likely. That's solid on paper. You then have a bench full of guys with experience.

True Gs -Judah, JJ
Hybrid G/Fs- JT, Quadir
Bigs- Jesse, Hima

Still room for 2 guys. I know we all have preferences, I think a sniper who can spread the court and an experienced big body 4/5 combo.

Still room for 2 guys. I know we all have preferences, I think a sniper who can spread the court and an experienced big body 4/5 combo.

Agree 2 spots... although playing 11 can be tough unless we expect an odd man out which until we see how Red substituted we don't know. I'm gonna disagree though. The Bradley connection makes more sense for a third ball handler and another true point. After Judah and JJ it's straight to Quadir who yes can handle it but I think another attack minded point or combo paired with that bigger 4/5 is better.

True Gs -Judah, JJ
Hybrid G/Fs- JT, Quadir
Bigs- Jesse, Hima

Think the need is clearly at forward. A larger PF type guy who can crash the boards and defend. As you say we have to other potential guards in JT and Copeland. I would even throw Bell in as a guy who could play as a taller shooting guard type. That's a lot of options up top.

At forward we have guys who struggle to defend and rebound. Bell Benny Taylor had rough years there. Brown, while I love his game, looked undersized at times at the PF position, especially in upper level ACC play. And while he makes things happen, it does hurt that he has no serious jumper or handle. I would feel more comfortable playing our smaller offensive minded guys at small forward if we had a true bruiser at PF.

Think the need is clearly at forward. A larger PF type guy who can crash the boards and defend. As you say we have to other potential guards in JT and Copeland. I would even throw Bell in as a guy who could play as a taller shooting guard type. That's a lot of options up top.

At forward we have guys who struggle to defend and rebound. Bell Benny Taylor had rough years there. Brown, while I love his game, looked undersized at times at the PF position, especially in upper level ACC play. And while he makes things happen, it does hurt that he has no serious jumper or handle. I would feel more comfortable playing our smaller offensive minded guys at small forward if we had a true bruiser at PF.

Yep. I'm glad Hima is returning but if he could be our third big with a beefy addition that could spell Jesse and play the 4 I'm tracking with you. We play fast and many guys will get their chance to make a mark. We have a good team that is winning and even more so the case.

True Gs -Judah, JJ
Hybrid G/Fs- JT, Quadir
Bigs- Jesse, Hima

Can't keep banking on potential. Need guys that can play and play now. If someone on the roster is upset about it, the portal is a two way door.

Can't keep banking on potential. Need guys that can play and play now. If someone on the roster is upset about it, the portal is a two way door.

If you add 2 guys how would that be banking on potential? We've got several targets in 2024. It's very likely this year makes or breaks for guys like Bell, JT, Benny and Copeland.

How many do you want to add then? What's the number? Lot of comments on dancing around this...

what makes people think Judah is coming back? Great news on Jesse, but Judah seems gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom