Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the portal develops and teams lose guards, bigger offers are floated to quality guards who may likely come back to college.

I originally wasnt worried about Judah not getting paid enough once he gets back, and I’m still not. But in these times who the hell knows whats gonna be offered. Thankfully Judah’s not really the type to sell himself to the highest bidder like others.

Ive still not heard anything to switch my opinion away from he’s expected back.

That's basically where I'm at.

And that isn't a "bearish" viewpoint at all -- its a realistic one. Next year's best chance to turn things around is for Chance to play the "3" [nominally] as a versatile wing. If we have to hand him the starting PG role, it is a step backwards. Not suggesting that he couldn't excel there eventually, but it would be a tall order.

Judah leaving could be offset by bringing in a player of the caliber of Johnson, but I don't believe that is trending favorably. Would absolutely love to be wrong about that.

Likewise, if we don't replace Jesse with an adequate athlete, get ready for Hima [I'm actually more bullish on him than many (or most?) posters].

Yeah I'm cautious on Hima but Griffin now has cemented the fact he knows what he is doing with developing bigs despite being a former PG. He did it at Dayton and we have seen the progress with Jesse. Not saying he will work miracles but it's not like Hima was cat rescuer out there - not even close. Good size, good instincts just bad habits and inexperience.

Yeah I'm cautious on Hima but Griffin now has cemented the fact he knows what he is doing with developing bigs despite being a former PG. He did it at Dayton and we have seen the progress with Jesse. Not saying he will work miracles but it's not like Hima was cat rescuer out there - not even close. Good size, good instincts just bad habits and inexperience.
Hima is not close to being an ACC center. He can occasionally dunk the ball, but struggles to make a layup. His only saving grace is his ability to block and alter shots. At best, he’s a ten minutes a game backup.

Hima is not close to being an ACC center. He can occasionally dunk the ball, but struggles to make a layup. His only saving grace is his ability to block and alter shots. At best, he’s a ten minutes a game backup.

We don't know what any of these guys that need to improve are. Even though I'm not bullish on Hima- your comment still is just an assumption. That's not a endorsement for him to start by any means but there is a wide range of unknowns still with the group currently expected to be here next fall.

There will be options if Judah decides to stay in the draft.

They won’t be bad options.

Center is the spot I am a little more curious about. We have had some time to fill the spot and haven’t yet.

Patience is a virtue though. I’m willing to give the new iteration of staff some.

However, if we don’t have replacements/a full roster by August I will be a little upset.

It seems things are locked up for the moment until certain players make decisions and unlocks a lot of otherwise clogged movement. Things will happen, it's all about timing. Reading tea leaves, I have confidence the staff has some things worked out when the time comes. I don't mind the silent and patient game at all.

Does anyone have reason to believe Judah may transfer?
I haven't heard anything, largely because I don't have any connections. But, he has an existing NIL deal that no longer has ties to Syracuse, so theoretically, he could keep that NIL deal and get others elsewhere.
Edit: Or others through Syracuse.

Last edited:
I have already mentally resigned myself to:
Westry
Starling
Bell
Benny
Brown

Copeland
Taylor
Hima

Anything more is a bonus to me, at this point.
In that recent interview, Red said that we’re pursuing more guards, plural. That was right before Westry committed. (Dean pointed this out on a recent pod.) Red also mentioned he had a plan with Judah staying in the draft and one with him coming back. I think if Mintz stays in the draft, we’ll make a push for Bradley or Ty-Laur Johnson.

And I have no doubt we’ll add a big man.

Disagree.

Westry and Starling are more talented than most backcourts out there.
How do we know that about Westry? Yes, he was hurt but he went 0 from the 3. How about seeing him actual do something positive at this level before we say he is part of the most talented back court.

As the portal develops and teams lose guards, bigger offers are floated to quality guards who may likely come back to college.

I originally wasnt worried about Judah not getting paid enough once he gets back, and I’m still not. But in these times who the hell knows whats gonna be offered. Thankfully Judah’s not really the type to sell himself to the highest bidder like others.

Ive still not heard anything to switch my opinion away from he’s expected back.
Everyone is the type to sell themselves to the highest bidder. It depends on how high that bid is. Don't ever forget, we really don't know these guys.

How do we know that about Westry? Yes, he was hurt but he went 0 from the 3. How about seeing him actual do something positive at this level before we say he is part of the most talented back court.

How did we know Wes Johnson would be one of the best players in the country?

I’m going faith without evidence here and fully buying into Auburn message board posters that said he would’ve started and maybe been one and done, here. Because I have to. I need something to get fired up about here, beyond Autry taking a dump on UConn and Kentucky at the Dome in ‘94.

How did we know Wes Johnson would be one of the best players in the country?

I’m going faith without evidence here and fully buying into Auburn message board posters that said he would’ve started and maybe been one and done, here. Because I have to. I need something to get fired up about here, beyond Autry taking a dump on UConn and Kentucky at the Dome in ‘94.
Wes Johnson was excellent at Iowa St. He was all Big 12 frosh team. It isn't even close to a comparison.

Wes Johnson was excellent at Iowa St. He was all Big 12 frosh team. It isn't even close to a comparison.
Of course he was, but then he got hurt and took a step back as a soph.

Westry’s injury last year held him back.

He was still good as a soph. Come on. I hope Westry is as good as we hope but so far, unlike Wes, he has done nothing at this level.
He beat Cornell (or at least helped).

What would you say if I were to guarantee that Westry shoots infinitely better frames three this year?

That 6'7" guy is an absolute beast. I don't think Maliq is there yet. He has great instincts and plays within himself, but if you're going to be 6'7", you better have huge shoulders and be strong and athletic and have a bad attitude.
Dooooms!

We don't know what any of these guys that need to improve are. Even though I'm not bullish on Hima- your comment still is just an assumption. That's not a endorsement for him to start by any means but there is a wide range of unknowns still with the group currently expected to be here next fall.
There’s some things you can’t teach. Hima is very limited.

There’s some things you can’t teach. Hima is very limited.

Most of his issues in terms of what we need are teachable. It's repetition to change bad habits. You can't teach 6-11, long wingspans or frames that can add weight either. He will never be a Jesse, Rak, Arinze etc. He can be like a Jeremy McNeil though in terms of his role or a even a bulkier BMK He just needs that work and repetition. All of that is on him and the staff. It's not a high ceiling but it's also the most basic need this team needs and most do at the 5 in college.

Man, you guys are making me worried Judah's considering the portal. That would be a dagger - it would be brutal for him to be considered from another program when he does make it pro. Does anyone know if he's getting NIL offers from other programs a la Jesse?

Man, you guys are making me worried Judah's considering the portal. That would be a dagger - it would be brutal for him to be considered from another program when he does make it pro. Does anyone know if he's getting NIL offers from other programs a la Jesse?
What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors