Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he sign with an agent? That's his safety valve. He needs to make a decision after the scrimmages. Either SU or enter the portal to preserve his chances.
You're allowed to hire an agent while maintaining college eligibility at this point. I think it's some weird loophole in the rules but you are allowed to nowadays and I think I had read that he did have representation but I never saw anything official on that.

I wish no ill will to Mintz at all. Unfortunately, my prediction if he comes out now and doesnt further develop his game, I suspect the following scenario will happen

1- He will go mid 2nd round
2- He will sign a two way contract
3- He will spend nearly all of the season in the G -League with only his couple cups of coffee.
4- Similar story in season 2.
5- He'll be in Europe for season 3.

He'll ultimately have a decent European career and make a little $, but will never be a star.

That's what I think happens if he stays in. My gut. If he comes back I think his chances of sticking in the league rise. His chances of becoming more than an average player in the league rise. Not sure how much, but they rise. In his particular case, not based on history but based on his skillset and his development potential, I don't think there is much chance that those odds go down by coming back.

This is my 2 cents. My own opinion. It's subjective and I know others may feel differently.
I think the chances of Mintz being an NBA star are pretty much zero... I think he can be a rotation player or even a starter eventually if he gets stronger and becomes a better shooter.

Both of those are things he can do at Syracuse or in the G League. Does he make more money or have more fun at Syracuse? I would guess money is a question, and having fun is a certainty.

Playing for a good Syracuse team in a solid basketball town at a basketball school sounds like about as much fun as a person can have.

Playing in Fort Wayne as a complete unknown sounds slightly better than flipping burgers at the truck stop.

You're allowed to hire an agent while maintaining college eligibility at this point. I think it's some weird loophole in the rules but you are allowed to nowadays and I think I had read that he did have representation but I never saw anything official on that.
The agents just have to have some sort of NCAA certification to represent college kids

I think the chances of Mintz being an NBA star are pretty much zero... I think he can be a rotation player or even a starter eventually if he gets stronger and becomes a better shooter.

Both of those are things he can do at Syracuse or in the G League. Does he make more money or have more fun at Syracuse? I would guess money is a question, and having fun is a certainty.

Playing for a good Syracuse team in a solid basketball town at a basketball school sounds like about as much fun as a person can have.

Playing in Fort Wayne as a complete unknown sounds slightly better than flipping burgers at the truck stop.
There's still a few teams like this in the G-League but I think over half the G-League teams nowadays are in the same city as their NBA affiliate or very close to. Most of them are transitioning that way so that they can promote their two-way players at a moment's notice, have them practice with the NBA team while playing for the G-League team and vice versa.

I wish no ill will to Mintz at all. Unfortunately, my prediction if he comes out now and doesnt further develop his game, I suspect the following scenario will happen

1- He will go mid 2nd round
2- He will sign a two way contract
3- He will spend nearly all of the season in the G -League with only his couple cups of coffee.
4- Similar story in season 2.
5- He'll be in Europe for season 3.

He'll ultimately have a decent European career and make a little $, but will never be a star.

That's what I think happens if he stays in. My gut. If he comes back I think his chances of sticking in the league rise. His chances of becoming more than an average player in the league rise. Not sure how much, but they rise. In his particular case, not based on history but based on his skillset and his development potential, I don't think there is much chance that those odds go down by coming back.

This is my 2 cents. My own opinion. It's subjective and I know others may feel differently.
Looks like last year there were only 8 2nd round draft picks on two ways. Rest had guaranteed deals or were stashed overseas.

I almost always advocate that a player should jump to the NBA when they're a hot commodity and can get the clock ticking on a 2nd contract. But in this case, Judah should come back to SU. Not for SU's sake, but his own. He's simply not good enough yet, and most of these guys only get one real chance to make it. Better to take that chance when he's more prepared.

I almost always advocate that a player should jump to the NBA when they're a hot commodity and can get the clock ticking on a 2nd contract. But in this case, Judah should come back to SU. Not for SU's sake, but his own. He's simply not good enough yet, and most of these guys only get one real chance to make it. Better to take that chance when he's more prepared.
100%

Emoni Bates at #49, eh?

“Emoni Bates will be another generational nba player. Jordan Kobe Lebron type. It was Jordan to Kobe Kobe to Lebron Lebron to Emoni.” - CuseRunner, Feb. 2021
Asking the mods to unban him for 24 hours. He can let it rip, we can laugh, then ban him again. A message board version of the purge.

I believe led the ACC in steals.

He played in a zone. He is very quick, but he's not physically built to defend guys who are 20-30 pounds heavier, one on one. Short arms don't help with that.

Crazy some of the generational talent guys(top 5 recruits) over the years who had things go sideways.

What was the guy's name, Lenny Charles? Lenny Clarke? NYC kid who turned out to be illiterate. They did a documentary about him. He was about a year ahead of Melo & LeBron blowing up on the AAU circuit.

What was the guy's name, Lenny Charles? Lenny Clarke? NYC kid who turned out to be illiterate. They did a documentary about him. He was about a year ahead of Melo & LeBron blowing up on the AAU circuit.

There have been quite a few both in direct to NBA as well as kids that went to college.

Red has mentioned multiple times in interviews he is in regular contact with Judah. I would imagine it's daily at this point as he works through the combine and gets encouragement and advice from the staff.

I suspect by end of the combine everyone is all but certain where things go from here.
I am sure that Red is supporting and encouraging Judah in his attempt to make the NBA. At the same time, he is reassuring him that he has a place and a big role with the team if he returns.

If you go case by case through the years, SU is an interesting case study in early entries.

Starting with Carmelo, here is the list of early entrants:
- 2002-03 - Carmelo Anthony (FR) - 1st Round Pick
- 2007-08 - Donte Greene (FR) - 1st Round Pick
- 2008-09 - Jonny Flynn (SO) - 1st Round Pick
- 2008-09 - Paul Harris (JR) - Undrafted
- 2009-10 - Wes Johnson (JR) - 1st Round Pick
- 2011-12 - Dion Waiters - 1st Round Pick
- 2011-12 - Fab Melo - 1st Round Pick
- 2012-13 - Michael Carter-Williams - 1st Round Pick
- 2013-14 - Tyler Ennis - 1st Round Pick
- 2013-14 - Jerami Grant - 2nd Round Pick
- 2014-15 - Chris McCullough - 1st Round Pick
- 2015-16 - Malachi Richardson - 1st Round Pick
- 2016-17 - Tyler Lydon - 1st Round Pick
- 2018-19 - Tyus Battle - Undrafted
- 2018-19 - Oshae Brissett - Undrafted
- 2019-20 - Elijah Hughes - 2nd Round Pick
- 2020-21 - Alan Griffin - Undrafted

Jerami Grant was the first guy from SU that left early and wasn't drafted in the 1st round. (Can't speak to prior to 'Melo but I believe this is true.) There was a lot of discussion about his leaving early on whatever forum we were on at the time. I know I wasn't for it, nor was I for Ennis'... however I get his situation more, given his athletic limitations and striking while the iron was hot for him.

After that, the talent level following Lydon/Richardson dropped drastically. The four that left early (really 3, if you don't include Griffin since he was a transfer and may or may not have been pushed out) were borderline NBA guys. Brissett has made his way to the league, while Hughes has played 54 games in the league but is now in the G-League. Tyus has been overseas for the duration.

Don't know if any of them would have benefited from staying one more year. I think Grant probably gets into the first round if he does. Brissett I thought had a chance the following year too.

Going to be interesting to see what happens.

Last edited:
If you go case by case through the years, SU is an interesting case study in early entries.

- 2018-19 - Tyus Battle - 2nd Round Pick

Jerami Grant was the first guy from SU that left early and wasn't drafted in the 1st round. (Can't speak to prior to 'Melo but I believe this is true.) There was a lot of discussion about his leaving early on whatever forum we were on at the time. I know I wasn't for it, nor was I for Ennis'... however I get his situation more, given his athletic limitations and striking while the iron was hot for him.

After that, the talent level following Lydon/Richardson dropped drastically. The four that left early (really 3, if you don't include Griffin since he was a transfer and may or may not have been pushed out) were borderline NBA guys. Brissett has made his way to the league, while Hughes has played 54 games in the league but is now in the G-League. Tyus has been overseas for the duration.

Don't know if any of them would have benefited from staying one more year. I think Grant probably gets into the first round if he does. Brissett I thought had a chance the following year too.

Good summary / post.

Two things to mention about Grant and Brissett that assisted their causes and made them both outliers.

Grant got drafted by a Sixers team that was in an intentional multi-year tank. They "filled" their roster with cheap, second round guys to both help them lose and to limit what they were spending. So Grant had a better chance as a second round pick to make that roster than he might have if he'd gotten drafted by a better team, with fewer roster spots for non-first round rookies, or a lower desire to work with developmental players. So that helped him get his foot in the door. Then, he got PT. And he started to produce, and that helped him get a second contract. Kid also expanded his game -- to his great credit -- became a shooter, and started producing at a borderline all-star level. Very unusual situation.

Brissett was a 10 day contract guy, who latched on with a team depleted by injuries. Produced big numbers, and got a contract. He's also a guy who improved his three point shooting IMMENSELY from how he produced in college. That doesn't happen very often -- anomaly.

Last edited:

Great analysis. I think nearly all of those guys had a very strong rationale to leave SU. I was down on Brissett leaving but clearly it's worked out for him.

Great post. One slight correction - Battle was undrafted.

Good summary / post.

Two things to mention about Grant and Brissett that assisted their causes and made them both outliers.

Grant got drafted by a Sixers team that was in an intentional multi-year tank. They "filled" their roster with cheap, second round guys to both help them lose and to limit what they were spending. So Grant had a better chance as a second round pick to make that roster than he might have if he'd gotten drafted by a better team, with fewer roster spots for non-first round rookies, or a lower desire to work with developmental players. So that helped him get his foot in the door. Then, he got PT. And he started to produce, and that helped him get a second contract. Kid also expanded his game -- to his great credit -- became a shooter, and started producing at a borderline all-star level. Very unusual situation.

Brissett was a 10 day contract guy, who latched on with a team depleted by injuries. Produced big numbers, and got a contract. He's also a guy who improved his three point shooting IMMENSELY from how he produced in college. That doesn't happen very often -- anomaly.

Great post.

Can Judah even return if he wanted too? Has he been on campus? Is he still taking classes? Did he take his finals? There’s been plenty of players in the past that just dropped out of school to prepare for the combine/workouts/draft. Has to be real tough for a freshman to recover if they blow off one of their only two semesters. I might be misremembering but wasn’t he the only player not to be at JBs gala? Was he out of town training? Maybe he’s doing everything online?
He better be finishing his classes. If not, that will seriously mess up our APR score, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom