Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 56 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone saying he’s going to crush it at combine. I think he’s getting a serious reality check. I want him to succeed but he has a long way to go
Speed kills a bit better on the gridiron. We'll see what it does for Judah on the hardcourt.

Everyone saying he’s going to crush it at combine. I think he’s getting a serious reality check. I want him to succeed but he has a long way to go
When you’re preparing for the draft, you’re only focused on NBA and not thinking about school. So I get his current mindset for not thinking about a return to Cuse and chase his dream.

But mediocre combine numbers plus scrimages where he’s going to have the ball in his hands less might be issues, especially given his shooting numbers.

Seems like he could be a first round pick with another year in the weight room and working on his jump shot

Yep. His speed and quickness is now tested at the combine. His efficiency as a shooter, strength and other elements TBD would be his focus. I suspect if there are things that hold him back it will be decision making and shooting which the scrimmages will provide a clear picture of for him.

He would also get more tape as a mtm defender he can use at the college level by coming back. Without a doubt some risk here too should his tape on D be poor coming back but everything we've seen points to him being a solid defender.

A long way.

It's unfortunate, because I think the ship has sailed on him coming back in his mind. Hope the option is still there ('bees comments about school give me some pause).

We will see.

Any idea if we'll be able to watch the scrimmages and/or get box scores from them? Just curious.

A long way.

It's unfortunate, because I think the ship has sailed on him coming back in his mind. Hope the option is still there ('bees comments about school give me some pause).

We will see.
Agree. Pre-NIL, we wouldn't even have hopeful desperation. Think he’s gone; just have to cheer for him to go out and kill it in the League. No harm in having another kid that outplays his draft position. God knows we've had a ton of the opposite.

Can Judah even return if he wanted too? Has he been on campus? Is he still taking classes? Did he take his finals? There’s been plenty of players in the past that just dropped out of school to prepare for the combine/workouts/draft. Has to be real tough for a freshman to recover if they blow off one of their only two semesters. I might be misremembering but wasn’t he the only player not to be at JBs gala? Was he out of town training? Maybe he’s doing everything online?
I heard he was taking online courses. I asked and was told that but that is not verified.

When is the Combine over? I'm sure we'll know for certain what Judah's plan is within a day or two of it ending.

Some of Judah's ranks at the combine:
  • Height: 6'3.0" - 3rd tallest out of 9 PGs
  • Wingspan: 6'3.5" - 2nd shortest out of 9 PGs
  • Standing Reach: 8'2" - 3rd shortest out of 9 PGs
  • Weight: 176.4 - Lightest PG by 20 lbs, 2nd lightest player at the combine out of 67
  • Lane Agility: 10.32 seconds - 2nd fastest out of 57 (and one of the fastest in recent years)
  • Shuttle Run: 3.08 seconds - 4th out of 19
  • 3/4 Court Sprint: 3.24 seconds - 22nd out of 56
  • Standing Vert: 28.5" - Tied for 40th out of 57
  • Max Vert: 37" - Tied for 13th out of 57
  • Off Dribble College 3's: 56.7% - Tied for 30th out of 43, and 21st out of 25 PG-SFs
  • On the Move College 3's: 52.0% - Tied for 21st out of 43, and 16th out of 25 PG-SFs
  • Spot Up College 3's: 56.0% - Tied for 24th out of 43, and 17th out of 25 PG-SFs
Do you see these results having a big impact on his stock? I know you seem to follow this stuff pretty closely and would probably have a better idea than most

Combine ends May 21.

Judah then has 10 days to decide. Deadline to return to college is May 31.

Red has mentioned multiple times in interviews he is in regular contact with Judah. I would imagine it's daily at this point as he works through the combine and gets encouragement and advice from the staff.

I suspect by end of the combine everyone is all but certain where things go from here.

Do you see these results having a big impact on his stock? I know you seem to follow this stuff pretty closely and would probably have a better idea than most
Yes, it will. This is what a combine is for though. Letting him know in real-time what he needs to work on. His measurables aren't good for this class which is why if he comes back and goes in 2024, he's a first rounder.

Emoni Bates likely saw his stock plummet further because of his stats.

I do think the wingspan will impact him to some degree; like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, between his weight and wingspan, teams will probably view him as a guy that has to prove he can switch on defense because those measurements suggest he probably cannot. And teams will already be a bit skeptical because of our zone, so he'll have a lot to prove defensively despite some really nice flashes both for Syracuse and Oak Hill.

I don't read a ton into the shooting; he'll probably have a bunch of workouts with NBA teams where he'll have the opportunity to make them forget about the mediocre combine performance. Likewise to show off his ball-handling and stuff.

I think his athletic measurements were good enough to not set off any red flags.

We'll see with the combine scrimmages; I don't think it's necessarily important for him to shoot it well in the scrimmages since the sample sizes are going to be so small, but teams will want to see how he fares in terms of beating people off the dribble, making good decisions, etc.

TLDR: I don't think anything we've seen so far will have a big impact, but the wingspan is definitely a red flag.

I do think the wingspan will impact him to some degree; like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, between his weight and wingspan, teams will probably view him as a guy that has to prove he can switch on defense because those measurements suggest he probably cannot. And teams will already be a bit skeptical because of our zone, so he'll have a lot to prove defensively despite some really nice flashes both for Syracuse and Oak Hill.

I don't read a ton into the shooting; he'll probably have a bunch of workouts with NBA teams where he'll have the opportunity to make them forget about the mediocre combine performance. Likewise to show off his ball-handling and stuff.

I think his athletic measurements were good enough to not set off any red flags.

We'll see with the combine scrimmages; I don't think it's necessarily important for him to shoot it well in the scrimmages since the sample sizes are going to be so small, but teams will want to see how he fares in terms of beating people off the dribble, making good decisions, etc.

TLDR: I don't think anything we've seen so far will have a big impact, but the wingspan is definitely a red flag.

Given he wasn't a first round talent coming into this draft process as well as being known as a weaker outside shooter- is there a comparable for him at this stage?

Trying to think if there is a frosh with those limitations(wingspan etc included) that came out in a good spot.

Yes, it will. This is what a combine is for though. Letting him know in real-time what he needs to work on. His measurables aren't good for this class which is why if he comes back and goes in 2024, he's a first rounder.

Emoni Bates likely saw his stock plummet further because of his stats.
What could’ve been…..

Man this is gonna be tough for Judah. Him and his camp want to hear a promise of at least second round before he officially declares. And Judah really wants NBA. But his combine has been pretty average at this point. We’ll see how his scrimmages go. I think he can shine there. But his testing numbers haven’t been great. It’ll just be a huge bummer if he ends up declaring and then doesn’t get drafted. I think he has two major weaknesses right now. His deep ball and strength. Both can be improved upon if he declares or comes back. If he declares he’s going with the risk of being undrafted and betting on himself. If he comes back he can improve his deep ball and gain 10 pounds or so by next draft, where he’ll be stronger and faster, which will also improve testing scores and if he comes back he plays in a man defense. In my opinion one of Judah’s strengths is his defense. I wish the kid luck either way, but why risk going undrafted this year, when next year’s draft does not look strong at all and there’s a legitimate chance he can work his way into the lottery convo next year. The money difference between a late second round pick/undrafted compared to a lottery/first round pick is a lot. To me it’s really a no brainer to come back from a basketball AND financial standpoint. But best of luck either way and he’ll have a fan in me either way

Last edited:
Man this is gonna be tough for Judah. Him and his camp want to hear a promise of at least second round before he officially declares. And Judah really wants NBA. But his combine has been pretty average at this point. We’ll see how this scrimmages go. I think he can shine there. But his testing numbers haven’t been great. It’ll just be a huge bummer if he ends up declaring and then doesn’t get drafted. I think he has two major weaknesses right now. His deep ball and strength. Both can be improved upon if he declares or comes back. If he declares he’s going with the risk of being undrafted and betting on himself. If he comes back he can improve his deep ball and gain 10 pounds or so by next draft, where he’ll be stronger and faster, which will also improve resting scores and if he comes back he plays in a man defense. In my opinion one of Judah’s strengths is his defense. I wish the kid luck either way, but why risk going undrafted this year, when next year’s draft does not look strong at all and there’s a legitimate chance he can work his way into the lottery convo next year. The money difference between a late second round pick/undrafted compared to a lottery/first round pick is a lot. To me it’s really a no brainer to come back from a basketball AND financial standpoint. But best of luck either way and he’ll have a fan in me either way
I still don’t understand why an undrafted kid can’t go back to college. Dumb rule.

I still don’t understand why an undrafted kid can’t go back to college. Dumb rule.
Did he sign with an agent? That's his safety valve. He needs to make a decision after the scrimmages. Either SU or enter the portal to preserve his chances.

A long way.

We will see.
Seems to me the only common sense choice he has is to come back if he is NOT drafted. Especially with NIL money. The G league is not a feasible option for Judah. The average salary for a G league player is 35,000$ per year. The odds of making it to the NBA from the G league is 10%. He can make more $ with NIL and have better odds of making to the NBA with another year of school and a weaker class next year. PLayers today are so much more sophisticated, I am sure he has a plan in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom