Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing he can do to improve his wingspan. Staying in school or leaving for the NBA won’t change it unless he proves or improves enough in some other areas to minimize and compromise the importance NBA teams could even put on it.

Posted before seeing Ottoingrotto’s post.

Nothing he can do to improve his wingspan. Staying in school or leaving for the NBA won’t change it unless he proves or improves enough in some other areas to minimize and compromise the importance NBA teams could even put on it.

I’m usually all about these guys leaving and getting a fat check, Judahs probably the first guy I’ve really thought should stay and be able to really improve his draft spot.

He's probably going to have to play really well in the scrimmages to be selected where he wants to go.

FWIW it appears Andre Jackson shot the ball pretty well in drills yesterday.
I think Jackson has a career. I really see him as a more athletic and more versatile Draymond. He will have to find the right team, but that kid impacts games.

Two other kids on the list who intrigue me are Jackson-Davis who I think is underrated by scouts, and Gradey D from Kansas who didn't impress me much. For instance if Jackson guarded him I don't think Gradey would get a shot off.

I wish no ill will to Mintz at all. Unfortunately, my prediction if he comes out now and doesnt further develop his game, I suspect the following scenario will happen

1- He will go mid 2nd round
2- He will sign a two way contract
3- He will spend nearly all of the season in the G -League with only his couple cups of coffee.
4- Similar story in season 2.
5- He'll be in Europe for season 3.

He'll ultimately have a decent European career and make a little $, but will never be a star.

That's what I think happens if he stays in. My gut. If he comes back I think his chances of sticking in the league rise. His chances of becoming more than an average player in the league rise. Not sure how much, but they rise. In his particular case, not based on history but based on his skillset and his development potential, I don't think there is much chance that those odds go down by coming back.

This is my 2 cents. My own opinion. It's subjective and I know others may feel differently.

Last edited:
Some of Judah's ranks at the combine:
  • Height: 6'3.0" - 3rd tallest out of 9 PGs
  • Wingspan: 6'3.5" - 2nd shortest out of 9 PGs
  • Standing Reach: 8'2" - 3rd shortest out of 9 PGs
  • Weight: 176.4 - Lightest PG by 20 lbs, 2nd lightest player at the combine out of 67
  • Lane Agility: 10.32 seconds - 2nd fastest out of 57 (and one of the fastest in recent years)
  • Shuttle Run: 3.08 seconds - 4th out of 19
  • 3/4 Court Sprint: 3.24 seconds - 22nd out of 56
  • Standing Vert: 28.5" - Tied for 40th out of 57
  • Max Vert: 37" - Tied for 13th out of 57
  • Off Dribble College 3's: 56.7% - Tied for 30th out of 43, and 21st out of 25 PG-SFs
  • On the Move College 3's: 52.0% - Tied for 21st out of 43, and 16th out of 25 PG-SFs
  • Spot Up College 3's: 56.0% - Tied for 24th out of 43, and 17th out of 25 PG-SFs

• Weight: 176.4 - Lightest PG by 20 lbs, 2nd lightest player at the combine out of 67
  • Lane Agility: 10.32 seconds - 2nd fastest out of 57 (and one of the fastest in recent years)
  • Off Dribble College 3's: 56.7% - Tied for 30th out of 43, and 21st out of 25 PG-SFs
  • On the Move College 3's: 52.0% - Tied for 21st out of 43, and 16th out of 25 PG-SFs
  • Spot Up College 3's: 56.0% - Tied for 24th out of 43, and 17th out of 25 PG-SFs

Wow. Sounds like he needs to have a strong showing in the scrimmages. All of this buries him in the middle of the pack performance wise all while being on the wrong side of the curve size wise.

In this setting can he show his ability to beat his man consistently and finish or find the open man in a high level game situation? Can he show is ability to make plays efficiently with reduced touches?

really interesting

I wish no ill will to Mintz at all. Unfortunately, my prediction if he comes out now and doesnt further develop his game, I suspect the following scenario will happen

1- He will go mid 2nd round
2- He will sign a two way contract
3- He will spend nearly all of the season in the G -League with only his couple cups of coffee.
4- Similar story in season 2.
5- He'll be in Europe for season 3.

He'll ultimately have a decent European career and make a little $, but will never be a star.

That's what I think happens if he stays in. My gut. If he comes back I think his chances of sticking in the league rise. His chances of becoming more than an average player in the league rise. Not sure how much, but they rise. In his particular case, not based on history but based on his skillset and his development potential, I don't think there is much chance that those odds go down by coming back.po

This is my 2 cents. My own opinion. It's subjective and I know others may feel differently.
Agreed. Unless he absolutely lights it up in the scrimmage sessions, he is a mid-second round pick. If on the other hand, he struggles he will not be picked and most likely return. Playing another year under Jim in the zone wouldn't help his stock as much as coming back and playing Man under Red so there is that.

Now, are these things he can change? Maybe. It's hard to put on huge bulk in a year or two, but we've all seen skinny guys get jacked, so why not Mintz?

Because we apparently don't have weights in the Melo Center. Our last basketball player who got jacked was Etan Thomas, about 25 years ago.

Summary: He's quick, he's small and he's not a very good shooter.

All comes down to what he shows with the ball in his hands. If the measurable and drills translate directly to how he performs... his decision gets much harder.

A little more context on this, from all the measurements I’ve seen so far Judah has the second smallest wingspan in the draft and tied for the worst height to wingspan ratio(I may have missed some though was just a couple minute scroll through Twitter). Not sure if it’s weighted as highly for guards, but I know it’s pretty important for the forwards and centers in GMs eyes. He tested relatively well in the other areas from the bits I’ve seen, but there’s not too much concrete info out there for his results. I think the scrimmages and interviews will be much more important for him anyways.

Long arms are desirable at every position, even guard. That's how you prevent someone from getting past you on the drive, by having the wingspan to poke the ball away.

I hear that hanging from the top of the door can help ...

I think Judah is incredibly athletic and talented, but I cannot forget some of his dunks being stuffed by the rim.

Can Judah even return if he wanted too? Has he been on campus? Is he still taking classes? Did he take his finals? There’s been plenty of players in the past that just dropped out of school to prepare for the combine/workouts/draft. Has to be real tough for a freshman to recover if they blow off one of their only two semesters. I might be misremembering but wasn’t he the only player not to be at JBs gala? Was he out of town training? Maybe he’s doing everything online?

Summary: He's quick, he's small and he's not a very good shooter.

Just what we need! LOL
Fortunately his speed is an asset. I think he will do great in his interviews and show intelligence on the floor. Even though he made his share of mistakes, he definitely grew from day one through the end of the season.

Can Judah even return if he wanted too? Has he been on campus? Is he still taking classes? Did he take his finals? There’s been plenty of players in the past that just dropped out of school to prepare for the combine/workouts/draft. Has to be real tough for a freshman to recover if they blow off one of their only two semesters. I might be misremembering but wasn’t he the only player not to be at JBs gala? Was he out of town training? Maybe he’s doing everything online?
I would imagine it wouldn't be difficult to squeeze by with the virtual options available at this point.

Bees, that's not like you to ask those type of questions. Usually you are the one answering them. I would think they would be able to figure out a way for him to return if that's the case.

I am sure they can find a way to allow him back if needed.

Most kids who are preparing for the draft are working out off campus and doing their classwork online. Tyus Battle was working out in LA before he came back for his junior year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom