Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 88 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? If it didn’t matter we wouldn’t be here waiting…

It doesn't guarantee that we will have a team like the good one days either by him returning or not returning. You aren't reading it correctly. We think we know what we have with him or without him but there hasn't even been so much as a practice report with this whole new group being together. It's all just speculation. Which we know you think we will suck and win 10 games if he doesn't return.

For the sake of conversation: Did the fact that Judah wasn't trying to shoot 3s in the combine scrimmages indicate he decided to play it safe and just wants to get drafted? If he had a first round or return to Cuse mentality, I would think he would have taken a chance and launched threes because a good shooting performance is likely the only thing that would significantly increase his stock, and he's capable of making them. It's a risk because with a bad shooting performance he could fall out of the draft completely. Doing everything else well but not shooting threes - which is what he did - would mean he safely stays projected in the second round. On the other hand, it's possible he was told he needs to show he can facilitate for others since he won't be the main option, and he showed that, but that doesn't significantly move the needle in his draft stock.
The scrimmage isn't just to showcase skills. It's to show how well you can play with others. If the shots weren't there, it would have looked poorly on him to start putting attempts up to gain favor with scouts.

What's curious is the lack of info out there on Judah's team workouts. With the clock ticking on declaring, you'd think to gauge the temperature on position and improving stock there would be intel out there on his individual performance for teams.

He very well could be behind the scenes, but these things typically get out.

The scrimmage isn't just to showcase skills. It's to show how well you can play with others. If the shots weren't there, it would have looked poorly on him to start putting attempts up to gain favor with scouts.
I agree chucking prayers would be a bad look. I was surprised he didn't seem like he was looking for 3s at all though, especially since scouts said his stock depends on his shooting. In my opinion he played it safe, which may indicate he's content just getting drafted. I thought he was gone, but based on things said here recently I've changed my mind and think he's returning, but I just found it to be interesting and wondered if it provided insight as to his thoughts.

For the sake of conversation: Did the fact that Judah wasn't trying to shoot 3s in the combine scrimmages indicate he decided to play it safe and just wants to get drafted? If he had a first round or return to Cuse mentality, I would think he would have taken a chance and launched threes because a good shooting performance is likely the only thing that would significantly increase his stock, and he's capable of making them. It's a risk because with a bad shooting performance he could fall out of the draft completely. Doing everything else well but not shooting threes - which is what he did - would mean he safely stays projected in the second round. On the other hand, it's possible he was told he needs to show he can facilitate for others since he won't be the main option, and he showed that, but that doesn't significantly move the needle in his draft stock.
They did plenty of shooting drills outside of the game, the scouts know if he is ready or not or can be developed based on form, ability.

It doesn't guarantee that we will have a team like the good one days either by him returning or not returning. You aren't reading it correctly. We think we know what we have with him or without him but there hasn't even been so much as a practice report with this whole new group being together. It's all just speculation. Which we know you think we will suck and win 10 games if he doesn't return.
I want Judah back as well, but I'm not as sold that he guarantees a special season. We still have to mesh tons of talent on this team and whether he comes back or not, won't change that.
He'll be another piece on the chess board, a positive piece for sure, but who knows how Red will mix things up moving forward.
Love to have him, but I don't see him as the game changer that others do. JMHO

I want Judah back as well, but I'm not as sold that he guarantees a special season. We still have to mesh tons of talent on this team and whether he comes back or not, won't change that.
He'll be another piece on the chess board, a positive piece for sure, but who knows how Red will mix things up moving forward.
In financial terms, what's the "alpha" of Judah on the team - taking minutes away from - the other guards?
Is he that much better of a scorer? (he can drive to the basket) T/O margin? +/- including both sides of the floor?

I dunno. I'm happy with who we've got now. Wish we had another big man.

They did plenty of shooting drills outside of the game, the scouts know if he is ready or not or can be developed based on form, ability.
I agree with that. I'm no scout, but to me it's clear Judah is capable of shooting, and his slow start is overblown. That's why I think a team would get good value in the second round because teams should know he can develop a good shot. I think he would have to be deadly from 3 to really stick, but I would think scouts have a good handle on how he could develop.

In financial terms, what's the "alpha" of Judah on the team - taking minutes away from - the other guards?
Is he that much better of a scorer? (he can drive to the basket) T/O margin? +/- including both sides of the floor?

Well, if he comes back, Judah will be the BMOC, if that helps.

I agree, but to be legit good I think we would need him. Even if things fell into place with JJ and Chance balling out and other guys improving I don’t think we would have the horses to have a really good year.

But he could come back and we could totally be bad given the unknowns.

I agree, but to be legit good I think we would need him. Even if things fell into place with JJ and Chance balling out and other guys improving I don’t think we would have the horses to have a really good year.

But he could come back and we could totally be bad given the unknowns.
see: Quincy Guerrier

The longer it takes, the better I like our chances of getting him back. Just a gut feeling. I feel like they’re waiting to get good feedback, but it isn’t coming, and teams want him to go to school for another year to develop his game. Personally, I think he can work on his craft just fine in the G League, especially his jumper, but coming back to school will get him into the 1st round, and get him that guaranteed money. Practicing against tough guards, and playing in the ACC as a lead guard won’t hurt his development either. I know Judah really wanted to make the Tourney too, so I think deep down he wants another shot.

Are the shooting drills all pure shooting and looking at form and mechanics?

Or does it also look at how he shoots when heavily defended creating space breaking ankles?

Are the shooting drills all pure shooting and looking at form and mechanics?

Or does it also look at how he shoots when heavily defended creating space breaking ankles?
It’s all of the above, shooting on the move, shooting of the dribble, spotting up, from different spots and mechanics. What you can never simulate perfectly is real game situations and the scrimmages are not a normal game. Like evaluating QB’s at Elite 11 or against air, still always some degree of risk for teams if the player has not proven it in live games.

We don't need another big man. The game is different. Many good teams do not play through the post. They defend, rebound and run the floor while some also are stretch bigs. Folks need to get these antiquated roles being the only way to succeed out of their head.

We don't need another big man. The game is different. Many good teams do not play through the post. They defend, rebound and run the floor while some also are stretch bigs. Folks need to get these antiquated roles being the only way to succeed out of their head.
Way to let them have It OZ!
That’s telling em!

What are the odds Judah comes back? It’s an on going conversation but time is running out and a decision will shortly be made. Anyone care to comment? Those insiders? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom