Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we were talking about likely second rounders.

If a guy is a likely first rounder, that’s probably a much easier decision.

Likely second rounder - things get murkier IMO. There’s risks both ways.
Oh yeah, original post was saying that he hopes Judah doesn’t end up like Lyndon, Richardson and McCullough

I don't care what your opinion is.

I do think it's crap that fans go after guys for leaving early or don't think they are good enough to leave early. So yes I ask why fan's are concerned what a player does because I don't really think it's about the player. It's about how their favorite college basketball team is affected year after year.
Dude, there is nothing but opinions on this board. I see some that I disagree with and respond with my own view, others I just don't respond. I don't tell others their opinion should be kept to themselves or why are they concerned about a particular matter. It's a chat board for Pete's sake. Please don't get up in arms, it's not that serious. And, my concern is for the players - I would love to see our draftees stick and have a long NBA career and voice my opinion when I think they aren't ready. I've never had a problem with a player leaving when ready. I thought Coleman and Douglas could have left early, Melo after his freshman year made the right decision to leave early, heck I thought he could have skipped college altogether and be successful in the NBA. I'm not an SU fan pining for guys to stay when they are ready to go so that our team can have a better chance of winning the next year. We are all armchair quarterbacks with our opinions and voice and should not be condemned.

Last edited:
Some of y’all are acting like you’ve never heard the “bird in hand” idiom.

Brent Axe did a brief show today and mentioned that he spoke with an NBA scout who told him that Judah is probably a late first to early second round pick in this years draft and advised it would be best to wait another year to come out. The scout thinks with the improvement Judah showed at the end of this year and continued progression next year combined with next year being a weaker draft should lead to him being a late teens to early twenties pick and lock up the guaranteed money.

Brent Axe did a brief show today and mentioned that he spoke with an NBA scout who told him that Judah is probably a late first to early second round pick in this years draft and advised it would be best to wait another year to come out. The scout thinks with the improvement Judah showed at the end of this year and continued progression next year combined with next year being a weaker draft should lead to him being a late teens to early twenties pick and lock up the guaranteed money.

Hopefully Judah hears that as challenge accepted and I'll see yall in the lottery

That's the hope.

And that he'd be willing to postpone earning a paycheck, because the opportunity cost would be lessened by NIL.

I don't think he's a late first round pick - at all.
"Extremely deep draft... last few weeks didn't move the needle... Terquavion Smith is much better guard..."
(and Smith is projected as a late 1st/early 2nd round)

Remember - all the guys we previously had who left early - pick one - were in the Tournament.
NBA scouts saw them play against top college competition.
Judah spent most of his time versus a consistently derided weak ACC.

How is this "late first round" ?
(he confirmed at the end - after noting it earlier - that Mintz would be second round this year; first round mid or lottery next year with guaranteed money)

"Extremely deep draft... last few weeks didn't move the needle... Terquavion Smith is much better guard..."

Remember - all the guys we previously had who left early - pick one - were in the Tournament.

(he confirmed at the end - after noting it earlier - that Mintz would be second round this year; first round mid or lottery next year with guaranteed money)
I think teams are likely split on Judah vs. Smith if I had to guess. I know some scouts in the media/online are.

Scouts tell 50-60 guys every year that they will be first round picks. That goes most of the way through the 2nd round. Unless you have a team that tells you that you are their pick at the 10th or 15th spot in the draft, it's a coin toss. There is no single "big board"; every team has their own.

He was much improved in the last month of the season. But I don't see the body of work, or the highlight film, that's going to get him solidly in the first round. He's just not that good yet. He could be, but he's not close to the first round right now, IMO.

Ask yourself: Is JJ Starling a first round pick right now? They are pretty similar players. And the answer is, "not yet", but he may be.

I think teams are likely split on Judah vs. Smith if I had to guess. I know some scouts in the media/online are.
Listen - I want him to come back.

I'm no scout, but ... re: team production, leadership (as a PG), and results he scores mediocre.

On talent/upside - he has pure talent. No doubt.
On ball handling and passing, he’s okay. He had some good ones - see: my in-person eye test at GT pass to Maliq - but a limited number of touchdown passes over a season is a small sample.

But... in the NBA, his falling and crashing antics at the basket won’t work. There’s no way he gets out of control and makes shots against bigger stronger men. He has to be in control; a leader and a floor general.

The only thing I like about NIL is it offers a kid the chance to make money AND improve a kids chances for life changing money by improving their draft stock.

Judah is the perfect example. He was great all year but really improved his shot over the last month. If he didn’t shoot as well as he did at the end, I gotta be honest, I still think he would have tested the waters. Now he’s a “possible late” 1st rounder but more than likely early or mid second round in reality. Now he can come back, make money through NIL AND potentially move into a lottery or close to it pick next year, life changing money.

Without NIL I have no doubt he wouldn’t be back and I wouldn’t blame him one bit. It’s just too much of a risk coming back to college. One freak injury could cost a kid so much money, how could anyone blame a kid for taking the money when they can?

He was much improved in the last month of the season. But I don't see the body of work, or the highlight film, that's going to get him solidly in the first round. He's just not that good yet. He could be, but he's not close to the first round right now, IMO.

Ask yourself: Is JJ Starling a first round pick right now? They are pretty similar players. And the answer is, "not yet", but he may be.
Judah showed way more than Starling, in year 1.

Listen - I want him to come back.

I'm no scout, but ... re: team production, leadership (as a PG), and results he scores mediocre.

On talent/upside - he has pure talent. No doubt.
On ball handling and passing, he’s okay. He had some good ones - see: my in-person eye test at GT pass to Maliq - but a limited number of touchdown passes over a season is a small sample.

But... in the NBA, his falling and crashing antics at the basket won’t work. There’s no way he gets out of control and makes shots against bigger stronger men. He has to be in control; a leader and a floor general.
Eh….the “falling and crashing antics” have nothing to do with anything. IMO.

He’s gotta shoot it better from 3, and he’s gotta make better decisions and find shooters better when he penetrates. I think both will come with experience.

Eh….the “falling and crashing antics” have nothing to do with anything. IMO.

He’s gotta shoot it better from 3, and he’s gotta make better decisions and find shooters better when he penetrates. I think both will come with experience.
His big move is going to the basket, out of control, tossing a ball up on a prayer?

How about his free throws when he gets fouled? Those can't be important in the pros, can they?

His big move is going to the basket, out of control, tossing a ball up on a prayer?

How about his free throws when he gets fouled? Those can't be important in the pros, can they?
He’s a pretty good FT shooter?

He gets to the line a lot.

You watch much NBA? Honestly curious.

He’s a pretty good FT shooter?

He gets to the line a lot.

You watch much NBA? Honestly curious.
75% FT. As a guard.

NBA? Playoffs. Regular season with stars "resting" for "maintenance" is a waste of time on TV or in person.

75% from the line for a freshman guard is ok. Not “great” but not bad either.
The air balls stick out for me.
It’s not 1/2 but 0/2 and hitting nothing in a close game.

Again, I like him. But team results and some late game giving up doesn’t bode well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom