Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy that Fair and Battle should have left a year earlier? They both should have. They would have been drafted. For some reason people on this board think Syracuse can’t be good without Judah Mintz, and are hoping he will stay for selfish reasons. They think only place he can possibly become successful in the future is by putting on a Syracuse uniform next year. If he’s a draft pick he should go. He’s stated that his dream isn’t playing in college. It’s professionally. Syracuse is a stepping stone to play professionally for the young man.
i do think they both shouldve left...but it wasn't obvious at the time. hindsight is 20/20.

but there are also a bunch of player that left early and it hurt them - a long list.

Eh, he’s what, 19? He’s only a few years removed from listing his “top 5 friends” in his insta bio
McLeod is a junior with 2-3 years of eligibility. he is a young age of 23.3 years old. Birthdate; 1/31/2000.

McLeod is a junior with 2-3 years of eligibility. he is a young age of 23.3 years old. Birthdate; 1/31/2000.
Interesting info, not 100% sure how that relates to Judah though?

Interesting info, not 100% sure how that relates to Judah though?
You are right. Thought the reference of being 19 was in response to a McLeod post on the previous page. Turns out the post I replied to was on Judah not McLeod. My bad!

Just hope hes not getting fed bs from agent
Yeah, there are good reasons to stay in the draft, and bad reasons to stay in the draft.

Staying in the draft because "I need to bet on myself so where I get picked doesn't matter" is a bad reason. Coming back to improve your draft stock is also betting on oneself.

*I know nothing and have no inside info. This is just something I've noticed guys say sometimes, and it's not great logic.

Who’s this guy lol
Trilly tweeted yesterday that the Pistons were working out a contract with Kevin Ollie. It seems he was wrong there, so take his confidence with a little skepticism.

Neve
I respectfully disagree. It matters coming off sweet 16 and final 4 seasons. Guys have exposure. But this basically proves my point. Mintz will get drafted either this year or next. If that’s that case, go now. Guys can get exposed, or hurt.

If he goes at 43, he won't be playing in the NBA much next year IMO. He'd be playing in the G League. Maybe have a cup of coffee or two if the team isn't very good.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't leave. Just pointing out that it's more likely he doesn't play in the NBA if he's a 2nd round pick than likely he does.
Very true. With NIL if you are a second round pick better option seems to stay in school and continue to get exposure to increase draft stock. Not a lot exposure playing in front of less than a 1,000 fans in a non televised G league game.
The issue is not making the league it is making it to the second contract in the NBA.

Very true. With NIL if you are a second round pick better option seems to stay in school and continue to get exposure to increase draft stock. Not a lot exposure playing in front of less than a 1,000 fans in a non televised G league game.
The issue is not making the league it is making it to the second contract in the NBA.
These G League teams are directly run by NBA franchises with staff members that are paid by the parent club and in a lot of cases are in or near the same city. Not only do you have the benefit of more intense coaching but you also have the opportunity to practice and play against other guys for at least 60 games who are trying to make it into the league.

Why do you think so many G Leagues get called up every season. It's because of the exposure they are receiving.

The last thing anyone cares about, except maybe you, is the 1000 fans who attend the games.

Could any player improve his draft positioning by waiting a year. Absolutely, but conversely, what could happen if he has a poor year and/or gets injured.

These G League teams are directly run by NBA franchises with staff members that are paid by the parent club and in a lot of cases are in or near the same city. Not only do you have the benefit of more intense coaching but you also have the opportunity to practice and play against other guys for at least 60 games who are trying to make it into the league.

Why do you think so many G Leagues get called up every season. It's because of the exposure they are receiving.

The last thing anyone cares about, except maybe you, is the 1000 fans who attend the games.

Could any player improve his draft positioning by waiting a year. Absolutely, but conversely, what could happen if he has a poor year and/or gets injured.

The whole “playing another year of college hoops is better for development” crowd are just ridiculous.

Why can’t any of them admit it’s because they want to see that player in their team’s uniform for one more season?

A G League player can train and practice a virtually unlimited amount of time.
College kids cannot.

And they are always competing with and against comparable pro-level players.
College kids are not. Not even at Dook or UK.

They are also unencumbered by having to deal with the “student” part of being student-athlete.

It’s irrelevant how many fans attend G League games -
the only “exposure” that matters is to the NBA front offices, and practicing and playing in the G League gives them that in spades.

I have no clue whether another year at Cuse would be better for Judah’s long term career than getting drafted in the 2nd round this year.

I absolutely would love to see him in Orange for another year.

But that’s more about wanting my alma mater to be better at hoops.

(and ideally propel Judah into the 1st round next year, but clearly nobody can know whether that will be the case, or not.)

I don’t think it would’ve made an ounce of difference. Neither could shoot the 3 well enough.

Both had 1990s-00’s NBA games.
well battle would have been in the NBA and then you never know from there...at least he wouldve had a first contract instead of none

The whole “playing another year of college hoops is better for development” crowd are just ridiculous.

Why can’t any of them admit it’s because they want to see that player in their team’s uniform for one more season?

College kids cannot.

They are also unencumbered by having to deal with the “student” part of being student-athlete.

the only “exposure” that matters is to the NBA front offices, and practicing and playing in the G League gives them that in spades.

I have no clue whether another year at Cuse would be better for Judah’s long term career than getting drafted in the 2nd round this year.

(and ideally propel Judah into the 1st round next year, but clearly nobody can know whether that will be the case, or not.)
the Heat have three undrafted guys who almost beat the Knicks in game 2 and crushed them in game 3 with Butler back. Knicks roster on the other hand is full of Kentucky, Duke, Nova and other high major guys. There are a lot of paths to an NBA career these days.

College kids cannot.

We haven't had much luck with putting PG in the league who played well since Sherm.
Would like Judah to make it and have a good career. You have to be able to score at all 3 levels to be good at PG.
Judah hasn't proven that yet.

I respectfully disagree. It matters coming off sweet 16 and final 4 seasons. Guys have exposure. But this basically proves my point. Mintz will get drafted either this year or next. If that’s that case, go now. Guys can get exposed, or hurt.
They had no NBA level skills.

the Heat have three undrafted guys who almost beat the Knicks in game 2 and crushed them in game 3 with Butler back. Knicks roster on the other hand is full of Kentucky, Duke, Nova and other high major guys. There are a lot of paths to an NBA career these days.
Heat are always lurking and competitive because they both a) are committed to development and harvest the fruits from that every season in some form and b) are a premier free agent destination when they have cap room. Plus Spoelstra being able to handle any roster he's given is a huge help.

10 to 20 pounds of muscle for the whole team combined would be closer to what we normally get. Maybe Red will emphasize lifting more than JB did.

Truly hope this too. It gives these kids a better shot too for a pro career be it overseas or here. Hell even look at Mccleod.. 7-4 came into FSU at 230 and is now 255. Not a bean pole at all and could add another 10 lbs

College kids cannot.

Anyone here will admit that their primary motivation is to keep players here so that they can win games for good ol' SU. And anyone here realizes that that is not the player's goal. So they have to come up with reasons that they think might make sense to player, however unrealistic they might be. That's not dishonest. But everyone here also knows that the players don't consult the fans before making their decision, so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Remember the days when a lot of guys who were going to be 2nd round picks went back to school for another year to improve their game (and stats) so they would be a 1st round pick in the next draft? I know there are arguments pro and con for doing that. But seems fewer and fewer are willing to bet on themselves to get the much bigger pay day the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom