Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the guy's name, Lenny Charles? Lenny Clarke? NYC kid who turned out to be illiterate. They did a documentary about him. He was about a year ahead of Melo & LeBron blowing up on the AAU circuit.
Great Doc. Think he was rated ahead of Lebron at one point. Think it was HS freshman Melo that busted him up at the ABCD camp and he plummeted, don’t quote me on that though.

I would imagine it wouldn't be difficult to squeeze by with the virtual options available at this point.

He also might have the 2 summer sessions to regain eligibility, if he comes back.

Man this is gonna be tough for Judah. Him and his camp want to hear a promise of at least second round before he officially declares. And Judah really wants NBA. But his combine has been pretty average at this point. We’ll see how this scrimmages go. I think he can shine there. But his testing numbers haven’t been great. It’ll just be a huge bummer if he ends up declaring and then doesn’t get drafted. I think he has two major weaknesses right now. His deep ball and strength. Both can be improved upon if he declares or comes back. If he declares he’s going with the risk of being undrafted and betting on himself. If he comes back he can improve his deep ball and gain 10 pounds or so by next draft, where he’ll be stronger and faster, which will also improve resting scores and if he comes back he plays in a man defense. In my opinion one of Judah’s strengths is his defense. I wish the kid luck either way, but why risk going undrafted this year, when next year’s draft does not look strong at all and there’s a legitimate chance he can work his way into the lottery convo next year. The money difference between a late second round pick/undrafted compared to a lottery/first round pick is a lot. To me it’s really a no brainer to come back from a basketball AND financial standpoint. But best of luck either way and he’ll have a fan in me either way

Even Jonny Flynn did a second year, after a 1st year where we underperformed as a team and wound up in the NIT.

Then he wen 6th in the next year's draft, as we made a Sweet 16.

Great Doc. Think he was rated ahead of Lebron at one point. Think it was HS freshman Melo that busted him up at the ABCD camp and he plummeted, don’t quote me on that though.

I was at that game. I think Melo was a junior and LeBron was a senior (or vice versa). I remember a NYC AAU guy saying to me after the game, "Now, if Lenny is the best player in the country, shouldn't he be dominating these underclassmen?? If he's supposedly good enough to go pro already, shouldn't he be tearing these guys up?"

So I’ve read through the past few pages and will offer what I’ve heard…which many here have already surmised.

The feedback to the Mintz camp PRE-COMBINE has been a reality check. It’s not what they wanted or expected to hear. He was essentially told his best plan was to return…especially in the era of NIL. We have a solid plan in place should he return.

There is absolutely no way that his measurables have done anything but reinforce that feedback.

He really needs to perform in the scrimmages. That is why his participation is a must. Even with all of this…he still may stay in the draft.

The good news is that AA is having regular conversations with his circle. We are not watching this from the outside.

I’m hearing the staff really believes it’s 50-50 right now.

In the NIL world I am not worried about academics.

No matter Judah’s decision, AA has a plan.

So I’ve read through the past few pages and will offer what I’ve heard…which many here have already surmised.

The feedback to the Mintz camp PRE-COMBINE has been a reality check. It’s not what they wanted or expected to hear. He was essentially told his best plan was to return…especially in the era of NIL. We have a solid plan in place should he return.

There is absolutely no way that his measurables have done anything but reinforce that feedback.

He really needs to perform in the scrimmages. That is why his participation is a must. Even with all of this…he still may stay in the draft.

The good news is that AA is having regular conversations with his circle. We are not watching this from the outside.

A 12 step plan?
Edit: on account of calling him AA…no?

Last edited:

I have the same understanding and admittedly thought it was a done deal draft entry with the combine participation because I thought hed be lights out. He hasn’t been but its not to say he couldn’t be with one more year in college. Hopefully he hasn’t kept his mind made up for months.

I have the same understanding and admittedly thought it was a done deal draft entry with the combine participation because I thought hed be lights out. He hasn’t been but its not to say he couldn’t be with one more year in college. Hopefully he hasn’t kept him mind made up for months.

It's funny... as I look back to the championship team and see the reunion videos and the guys reconnecting... it sucks that the kids don't see the value in those bonds and how unique it is to do something special. I realize things have changed culturally and how these kids see the world.

Nothing is ever for certain and opportunity and timing are never exact. That said- a nice NIL deal and a year getting incredible press, a ton of buzz and an opportunity to light things up in Maui and have the entire ESPN world talking about you.. while then winning a bunch of games and that buzz continuing then the tournament experience to boot... that's something that still to me is like a platinum record on the wall of life.

It also to me would be better than being behind the scenes playing G league games or garbage time where no one truly knows your name yet.

You either have to dazzle them with elite athleticism or have elite skills. Judah's NBA skill is moving through traffic quickly, but without being bigger and stronger with a pull-up game to keep defenders honest, he's kind of a limited player at this point. I don't ever advocate for players getting better in college, but in Judah's case, if he wants to go to the NBA he's either going to have get bigger and stronger in the G-league or another year in college ball. NBA defenders will knock him down 30 times a night and he'll get a play-on more instead of 2 free throws.

You either have to dazzle them with elite athleticism or have elite skills. Judah's NBA skill is moving through traffic quickly, but without being bigger and stronger with a pull-up game to keep defenders honest, he's kind of a limited player at this point. I don't ever advocate for players getting better in college, but in Judah's case, if he wants to go to the NBA he's either going to have get bigger and stronger in the G-league or another year in college ball. NBA defenders will knock him down 30 times a night and he'll get a play-on more instead of 2 free throws.

Right. Plus he does not have that quick release shot like other smaller guards in the league. He is a half second slow in going from his primary move to the shot which is mostly fine at the college level but even then you see gets him in trouble. He got better with passing out of it but still it needs work.

It's funny... as I look back to the championship team and see the reunion videos and the guys reconnecting... it sucks that the kids don't see the value in those bonds and how unique it is to do something special.
While I understand the bigger point you're making, using the championship team as the reference point strikes me as kind of odd since that team was pretty much all freshmen and sophomores, and one senior.

While I understand the bigger point you're making, using the championship team as the reference point strikes me as kind of odd since that team was pretty much all freshmen and sophomores, and one senior.

So I use that example purely because there was a reunion that triggered the thought. Use whatever year you want in the larger context of the point. The concept is the moment and experience. I think it is applicable to any player that is looking at coming back for a second year or third year and so on.

End of the day- those things were valued more at that time and its hard to convey what it means in hindsight to this current generation. I don't fault them for it as they have grown up in a different time with different priorities. I think in 10 or 20 years an incredible year would be looked back upon with the same fondness and appreciating the same bonds.. but that's from someone twice their age.

Man this is gonna be tough for Judah. Him and his camp want to hear a promise of at least second round before he officially declares. And Judah really wants NBA. But his combine has been pretty average at this point. We’ll see how this scrimmages go. I think he can shine there. But his testing numbers haven’t been great. It’ll just be a huge bummer if he ends up declaring and then doesn’t get drafted. I think he has two major weaknesses right now. His deep ball and strength. Both can be improved upon if he declares or comes back. If he declares he’s going with the risk of being undrafted and betting on himself. If he comes back he can improve his deep ball and gain 10 pounds or so by next draft, where he’ll be stronger and faster, which will also improve resting scores and if he comes back he plays in a man defense. In my opinion one of Judah’s strengths is his defense. I wish the kid luck either way, but why risk going undrafted this year, when next year’s draft does not look strong at all and there’s a legitimate chance he can work his way into the lottery convo next year. The money difference between a late second round pick/undrafted compared to a lottery/first round pick is a lot. To me it’s really a no brainer to come back from a basketball AND financial standpoint. But best of luck either way and he’ll have a fan in me either way
This is an excellent summary. But it’s funny how these players always say their dream is to play in the NBA. Uhhh, no duh. That’s every talented basketball player’s ultimate dream since the dawn of pro basketball. It’s such a silly thing for them to say and for us to repeat. Everyone knows that’s the goal. The questions are: Can you get there? What do you have to do to make it? what’s the best time to declare for the draft? Is college or the G League the better route for said player to eventually have an NBA career?

Last edited:
Love this. These things matter. Just like I would love to see Red or Gerry at the draft the next time we have a player who is physically at the draft.
I agree 100%! Things like this matter big time, and there was such a disconnect between JB and his own players but especially JB and recruits in recent years. There is no doubt Autry and staff will bring in talent (heck they already are). If Cuse gets their NIL situation figured out they could get back to the glory days again at least as far as bringing in talent. Now can Autry coach…I guess we’ll find out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom