Just being honest about Hopkins.. waxing poetic | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Just being honest about Hopkins.. waxing poetic

JB never admitted he was leaving. never said he was stepping aside for HOP. that conjecture is a falsity.

(p.s i never wanted hopkins as next HC and posted as much. said he should prove himself elsewhere.)

Last edited:
We switched conferences. A quick glance at the bottom part of the Big East teams we played those last years were horrible. ACC's bottom teams compete better, that adds up.

BIG EAST was always an equal if not better overall some yr.s than the ACC.

Do we have a big man coach. Used to Bernie. Commentators would rave about the work he did with the big men. Then it was Hop. Can't even tell you who it is now. Sad really.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :bat:

Im not melting down. Its a "big picture" take that I don't feel we are in a good spot. that is all. Orangetiz seems to get what I'm saying. instead of attacking and digging for past dirt, perhaps look at things from another perspective? You can shed the self absorbed, me me me millenial tag by simply having an open mind.
Really hate to say it but I am not a millenial. I am older than you are.

My big picture take is that we are fine.

We've had some not so great stretches (at least for my standards)

Post Louie & Bouie until Pearl
Post sanctions 1 - at least relative to what we were used to from 85-91 in terms of regular season success - until 96 and the arrival of Hart, Thomas and, eventually, Blackwell.
Post Etan, Hart & Blackwell until Melo
Post Hak until Flynn et al.
Post sanctions Redux

We win consistently, are in the mix for the tourney every year and, periodically, have a really special season.

That makes us better than 98% of the schools out there. The only ones whose success we cannot compete with on a year-in, year-out basis are Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas. Edit: I will add Michigan State also. Maybe Louisville and Arizona. Maybe. That is 7 schools out of 351. You want to add a few more? Ok. 97 or 96%.

I'm ok with that.

If you are not, then that is your prerogative but you are going to be consistently miserable because we have NEVER been in the same league as those schools for extended periods of time...85-91 and 08-14 our our two best stretches...

I am much more worried about who replaces JB then I am about JB...

So that’s over who is the back up option at the 5 spot

Post sanctions 1 - at least relative to what we were used to from 85-91 in terms of regular season success - until 96 and the arrival of Hart, Thomas and, eventually, Blackwell.
Post sanctions Redux

We win consistently, are in the mix for the tourney every year and, periodically, have a really special season.

That makes us better than 98% of the schools out there. The only ones whose success we cannot compete with on a year-in, year-out basis are Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas. Edit: I will add Michigan State also. Maybe Louisville and Arizona. Maybe. That is 7 schools out of 351. You want to add a few more? Ok. 97 or 96%.

I'm ok with that.

If you are not, then that is your prerogative but you are going to be consistently miserable because we have NEVER been in the same league as those schools for extended periods of time...85-91 and 08-14 our our two best stretches...

Fair enough. Either way you are not concerned with what has transpired the last 5 years? You don't see losing the succession planat the very least to be a significant setback?

I'm happy for Mike. He's a great guy, was a fantastic assistant coach for a decade plus and is now making his mark somewhere else b/c his schedule didn't jive with Jim's. Both deserve what they are getting. When Boeheim retires, they should call him and see if he wants to come home. I won't be angry if he thinks he's where he should be now. I think the tougher decision is if it's not Mike who is it?

I think Gerry needs some seasoning if he's really the next guy in line. Maybe he takes the BC job when Jim Christian gets sacked.

Fair enough. Either way you are not concerned with what has transpired the last 5 years? You don't see losing the succession planat the very least to be a significant setback?

No. We've had down stretches before. We've always snapped back.

And when a four year down stretch includes a final four and a sweet sixteen, I'm ok with that as a "down" stretch. Most fan bases would kill for one of our down stretches.

I said above that I am much more concerned about JB's successor than I am about JB. That is why I am in no hurry to see him go. If the next 43 years are as rock solid as the last 43, then we will be one incredibly lucky fan base.

I am disappointed that Hop left. I really had no opinion on what kind of head coach he'd be. If he was good enough for JB, that was good enough for me.

I do think we have enough positive attributes as a program to attract good candidates. Hopefully we make the right hire.

Post sanctions Redux

I'm ok with that.

I can’t believe he thought you were a Millennial. Your talking about plumbing and prostate exams. All millennials know are meme’s and Uber eats.

I dont beleive anything he said is even remotely near "the sky is falling" this is the problem I have with the basketball board. WAKE UP. The program hasnt been good since the Tyler Ennis team. And even then they were bad towards the end of the season. Had it not been for us sneaking in the tourney in 2016 and making the Final FOur run, are we still talking about the program the same way. It is slipping, there is no question. This is called being a realist. Bubble for the past 5 years, one season was the self-imposed (they likely werent going to make the tourney)
But there is a question of the program slipping. I see the program trending upward from the down, sanction years.

This years team is better than last years and there is more talent on this years squad.
I see a good team for next year out of players already here; Carey/Buddy/Eli/OB/Marek(+Sidibe). Plus there are some exciting frosh in the works - Goodine/QG/JG3. While, it is a bummer to not get I Stewart, IS would have moved this program into the top 10.

The win at Duke ended most peoples bubble talk. And if that is the case, I don't think you can classify this year as a bubble year. That would be an upward trend.

Im not melting down. Its a "big picture" take that I don't feel we are in a good spot. that is all. Orangetiz seems to get what I'm saying. instead of attacking and digging for past dirt, perhaps look at things from another perspective? You can shed the self absorbed, me me me millenial tag by simply having an open mind.
Did you just call Forza a millennial? Now that’s funny.

I can’t believe he thought you were a Millennial. Your talking about plumbing and prostate exams. All millennials know are meme’s and Uber eats.

When you’ve been outed as a flip-flopper and your argument is based on emotion rather than reality, it’s always best practice to label your opposition as a member of a group that is stereotypically perceived (by people who may support your view) in a negative way.

Thus removing focus from the lost argument and attempting to now win the name calling game.

Sound strategy that, as we can all clearly see, was executed to perfection here.

Something about the Isiah Stewart decision sticks in my craw. Perhaps Im bitter and upset that he isn't the guy here and I don't know who to blame. Its clearly JB and the AD but does any of it matter now? I'm a 46 yo fan that has watched the team since the pearl days in 4th grade when my teacher would put on the games during school! Those were the days where SU hoops we so important to everyone's life around here. I loved the program , the excitement and everything about the program.

Flash forward to recent times. I was one of the fans that was eagerly awaiting the Hopkins take over from JB, as it was told to be, at the start of last season. I was looking forward to a different feel but with a familiar and charismatic face. Our lead guy that was sniffing high level recruits and even pulling in a few lesser rated ones. He brought a passion and display of energy and emotion that the program hasn't seen since 2003, which is now closer to 20 years ago...20. Let that sink in.

Now that guy is gone. Leading his own program , on his own terms on the other side of the country. This guy is even now pulling in top 5 recruits and bringing talent that, quite frankly, i'm jealous of. This program needed Isaiah Stewart. NEEDED. I think this sends a very clear message to me when Stewart talks about trusting the head coach... read the ESPN article..then really read into it.

Maybe Im bitter and Jealous, but I'm growing tired of seeing posts with people waxing poetic about Hopkins. Hes never coming back and he is building something seemingly better where he is at. Yes the Pac 10 blows... yes its west coast... but life is a cycle of ebb and flow. It will rise again in the west and Washington will be at the forefront of programs out there. We have to stop falaciating Hopkins

I honestly look at any other program as the enemy and a potential threat to Cuse. When people were lauding Villanova for winning titles, I thought it was short sighted treason. It was an eastern program that we recruit against adding to their, better than our, legacy. INSANITY. I feel the same way about Hopkins and Washington. I want no other program to do better than Syracuse.

Sadly Im starting to feel like Syracuse best days are in the rear view mirror. Can that fortune turn? It could.. but looking straight ahead I do not see that yet. Middling ACC program is not good enough for me. I don't get up daily and say hmmmm I'm gonna go out there and be mediocre today!

So in being honest about Mike Hopkins... I wish him health for he and his family.. and nothing else. Im sorry I feel this way , but I do. I dont think Im alone, but open to the idea that I am. this is meant for discussion but if you want to flame me.. i get it.

for someone imploring everyone to forget about Hopkins, you sure spent alot of words discussing him.

View attachment 150644

View attachment 150645
Yes, we can all clearly see that you were 100% all-in on Hopkins...

You are so full of it that, when you turn 50 in four years, you are going to need a plumber instead of a proctologist for your first colonoscopy.

I don’t think Hopkins is the solution, he looked really bad when he took over for JB, we can do better honestly, even if we have to pay a non alum more money. This is just like football, hire someone with experience and a track record, not going the assistant route even if it was Hopkins. We should never ever ever hire anyone without coaching experience, but JB needs to go as the game has passed him by and he cannot coach an offense or be anything more than one dimentional in defense. Syracuse basketball has been hard to watch for years, and people thinik that just because we made a few final fours with no shot of winning and a sweet 16, that everything is fine. When you are losing recruits in your back yard to other programs, maybe recruits want to play for a less grumpy coach? I would love to play for Dabo rather than a Nick Saban without all the championships. But for many folks here if we had 2 championships in 86 years they would sign up for that. I’m sorry but there are 320 teams and we are #2 and #1 in attendance consistently, we deserve better.

Last edited:
I don’t think Hopkins is the solution, he looked really bad when he took over for JB, we can do better honestly, even if we have to pay a non alum more money. This is just like football, hire someone with experience and a track record, not going the assistant route even if it was Hopkins. We should never ever ever hire anyone without coaching experience, but JB needs to go as the game has passed him by and he cannot coach an offense or be anything more than one dimentional in defense. Syracuse basketball has been hard to watch for years, and people thinik that just because we made a few final fours with no shot of winning and a sweet 16, that everything is fine. When you are losing recruits in your back yard to other programs, maybe recruits want to play for a less grumpy coach? I would love to play for Dabo rather than a Nick Saban without all the championships. But for many folks here if we had 2 championships in 86 years they would sign up for that. I’m sorry but there are 320 teams and we are #2 and #1 in attendance consistently, we deserve better.
If that's satire, it's brilliant.

Can't tell if serious

I’m a big Hopkins fan. In business we do things called succession planning all guided around handing the keys to next generation to keep the company alive and well. Given JBs age we know he is not going to be around for more than 3-4 years we passed on Hopkins unfortunately. Seems Hopkins is the real deal and would have been a great HC hopefully Autry or GMAC will be the same. If not blame it on the Admin for not forcing the hand on succession planning. Nothing worse than having a leader stay on too long.

99% of fans here were at his throat in 2016 because he lost a few games when he filled in for JB. I got funny looks in Chicago after the game when I commented that Hopkins was 1 for 1 on reaching the Final Four years he coached us. Noone wanted him to replace JB they wanted external candidates until he had success at UW.

I am happy that if we didn't get Stewart he did. Now we just need to schedule them. 2 game series first basketball game in the new Key Arena and a game in the Dome sounds perfect.

I’m a big Hopkins fan. In business we do things called succession planning all guided around handing the keys to next generation to keep the company alive and well. Given JBs age we know he is not going to be around for more than 3-4 years we passed on Hopkins unfortunately. Seems Hopkins is the real deal and would have been a great HC hopefully Autry or GMAC will be the same. If not blame it on the Admin for not forcing the hand on succession planning. Nothing worse than having a leader stay on too long.
Aren't you a little premature in implying that the leader has stayed on too long? JB could certainly be bringing us out of the mess of sanctions. IMO, we're better this year than last. And next year is already flush everywhere except center.

And aren't you also premature on blaming the Admin? What if JB brings us back and then SU offers a seasoned Hop who comes on back?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom