Just dawned on me | Syracusefan.com

Just dawned on me

cuseguy

Living Legend
When we move to the ACC, Duke and Carolina will always be the big matchup. In the BE, it was always SU-Gtown.

They will be talking about us if we come in there and win a few acc championships. We are not chopped liver, but it will take time to develop new rivals. Uconn is a rival, but we don't even play gtown twice a year in this joke conference so the luster is kinda gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All they talk about now is UNC/Duke even when discussing other rivalries, so that will never change whether SU/GT play or not...

They're gonna try to force feed the Pitt-Cuse rivalry I bet. I think we get a nice little one going with NC State, we've plaeyd them often and it's usually close

I think it'll be more like the current Big East. SU-Gtown is big, but so is UConn-Nova sometimes and Pitt-WVU, and SU-UConn, etc. (This is not even making mention of Rutgers-Seton Hall which is broadcast across the globe and to Alpha Centauri because its so huge) It's only beacuse Duke and Carolina have been the only two legit teams in that conference that the rivalry has gotten so out of control as far as hype. They'll hype big games just the same as they do now. If we are tied with UNC for the ACC conference lead and play each other on Senior Day for the conf. title - it will get hyped.

I think it'll be more like the current Big East. SU-Gtown is big, but so is UConn-Nova sometimes and Pitt-WVU, and SU-UConn, etc. (This is not even making mention of Rutgers-Seton Hall which is broadcast across the globe and to Alpha Centauri because its so huge) It's only beacuse Duke and Carolina have been the only two legit teams in that conference that the rivalry has gotten so out of control as far as hype. They'll hype big games just the same as they do now. If we are tied with UNC for the ACC conference lead and play each other on Senior Day for the conf. title - it will get hyped.
It's gonna be a LONG time (if ever) that Duke vs. UNC won't happen as the last game of the season...

When we move to the ACC, Duke and Carolina will always be the big matchup. In the BE, it was always SU-Gtown.

Going in and kicks A$$ is priority #1 when we get to the ACC.

44cuse

For now. After SU is in there beating Duke and UNC, things will shift.

LOL. SU - UConn is far bigger than SU - GTown in the eyes of the nation. Why do you think we played UConn twice this season, and got college game day?

LOL. SU - UConn is far bigger than SU - GTown in the eyes of the nation. Why do you think we played UConn twice this season, and got college game day?

This year, yes. Other years recently, we've played GT twice.

It's because GTown can't beat us (actually, neither can UConn lately).

This year, yes. Other years recently, we've played GT twice.

He said that SU - GTown is the biggest matchup in the Big LEast. It's not anymore. It's shifted over to SU - UConn.

The Duke-UNC game will be a season-ender in perpetuity.

We might get a game on senior day (ours or theirs) vs. one of them on occasion, but it won't be the last game of the season. Like UMd at UNC earlier this week.

They're gonna try to force feed the Pitt-Cuse rivalry I bet. I think we get a nice little one going with NC State, we've plaeyd them often and it's usually close
NCst??? Homey don't think so.

I have a feeling that Maryland will eventually become our biggest ACC rival.

I think they attempt to make the Syracuse-BC game a "rival" for northern exposure. Our best bet is to ruin UNC and Duke's day by beating them. In reality the Duke/UNC game is the only rivalry in the ACC because they are the only teams winning over much of the last 10 years. The non-sense about VATech and Miami finally stepping is just that, non-sense. If we win in the ACC, they will finally have someone else to talk about.

He said that SU - GTown is the biggest matchup in the Big LEast. It's not anymore. It's shifted over to SU - UConn.

I would disagree. SU and GT both ranked this year. So It's a game with more national interest than SU / UConn.

What has made these rivalies is that the teams were consistently battling for regular season or conference tournament championships. That, and nothing else, put SU-Gtown on the map, and then later SU-UConn. No TV hype can force that. If we are #1 or #2 in the conference consistently and Duke or UNC is right there - then those will become rivalry games. Period.

Because Uconn was preseason #4 in the country and Gtown was picked to finish 10th in the Big East?

Not after we win the league a few times, and SU fans break out the "Hey" song at Greensville or Greensboro or wherever the hell they hold their tournament.

wow, what a shitty conf the bigeast is then.

when the top matchup is gtown-Syracuse, yet with their COMBINED National Titles, they still fall short of conference mate uconn...you know something is wrong.

can we play in the ACC Tourny this year??

Oh Lord

Not after we win the league a few times, and SU fans break out the "Hey" song at Greensville or Greensboro or wherever the hell they hold their tournament.
if they do that, all the tobacco roadies will think SU is maryland, or honoring them in some capacity.

10 years into our entrance into the ACC, the Duke Carolina rivalry will be like Cuse G'town is now. "Well, it once was a really great rivalry, but has really been overtaken by the rivalry with Syracuse."

I'm completely serious too. When both NC or Duke had those 2-3 down years in the last 15 years, nobody really played up the Duke UNC rivalry like they do now (or did before one of those teams was down). If we are a top 2-3 ACC team every year, this is more possible than people would care to admit.

I'm still hoping that the ACC will go to 16 and bring in UCONN and (gulp) Rutgers so we can go North South with BC, SU, UCONN, Rutgetrs, Pitt, Maryland, Virginia and the Hokies in the north. Then we can play them each twice and half the other divsion and the north would more resemble to old Big East than the new, new one. The rivalries would take care of themselves.

That game will lose some luster when it's for 2nd place every season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom