Just got home from the game - My observations | Syracusefan.com

Just got home from the game - My observations

texascpa

Living Legend
As most know, I live in the Houston area. Took my 3 kids to the game. Had a great time, even the youngest who's not a football fan. He was screaming with the rest of us at the end. :)

- Not sure if they showed the trophy ceremony, but Terrel Hunt was MVP. Got a cowboy hat :)
- That said, Estime had to be a close second. Even with the fumble, he had a terrific game topped off with the punt return that set us up for the win.
- Would be surprised if there were 10K at the game, but it was about 50-50 split in fans.
- Minny fans were cordial. The ones who sat in our section were polite and actually quiet for most of the game.
- That said, I think some of the Minny fans had other things on their mind. The only chant I heard from them was when they were doing a "We hate Iowa" chant in the concourse :confused:
- I won't go into much more on the players since most of you watched the game, however, Kirkland was constantly pumping other players up, giving guys words of encouragement. It was great to see.
- The kids that got the free tickets through Sean and the alumni group were decked out in Orange, but it was obvious that their numbers were much less than the amount of tickets donated. They got to sit by the band and looked to have good time.
- Speaking of bands, if TomCat was at the game, I'll let him give the tuba count. I will say, though, that the tuba difference was indicative of the bands size differences...but not of their volume or spunk.
-Great job by Mark and Pauline on the tailgate. Food was good, and the band/cheerleader entertainment was superb. Band played more at the tailgate than they did for the halftime show. SU has an awesome baton twirler.
- Lastly, and I risk offending a fellow SU fan (could even be a board member for all I know), I now understand some of the complaints about SU fan participation. My introduction to the nice couple in front of us was the husband asking "you aren't screamers, are you? If you are, we're going to sit behind you." Now this was middle of the section at the 50 yard line. I would expect most people in that area to be into the game. We aren't screamers, normally, but we did our part in the 4th quarter. The couple never complained. Just thought it was a strange introduction for a football game...in Texas. Also, 3 older SU fans in our row left at the beginning of the 4th quarter :confused::(
- I will never understand Reliant Stadium's policy on opening gates 90 minutes before kickoff. Well, at least it was better than the 45 minutes prior to HS playoff games.

That's all for now.

On TV that crowd looked really sad. The Minny fans literally looked sad but the total number of fans was pathetic. At least the Orange fans made noise I could hear on the TV.

All I know is I did hear a 'Let's Go Orange' on the TV twice so...all is good. :)

I was on the Minnesota side, immediately behind their bench. We were in the first row and it seemed to be fairly well populated behind us with MN fans. I'd guess the crowd split was 70-30 at best in favor of MN. Their fans were very into it on our side. Several said congratulations after the game.

I could hear a couple of Let's Go Orange chants.

I was at the game and there was at least 30,000 fans at the game. SU had a very good showing. Much better than I expected.

I was on the Minnesota side, immediately behind their bench. We were in the first row and it seemed to be fairly well populated behind us with MN fans. I'd guess the crowd split was 70-30 at best in favor of MN. Their fans were very into it on our side. Several said congratulations after the game.

Really. I did see a few other Orange on the Minny side. But I thought our sections were just as populated as theirs. Hard to tell of course.

I was at the game and there was at least 30,000 fans at the game. SU had a very good showing. Much better than I expected.

Stadium holds 74K. I can't believe there were 30K there, but what do I know. I've never been good at estimating. Accountants work in actuals...most of the time :)

Really. I did see a few other Orange on the Minny side. But I thought our sections were just as populated as theirs. Hard to tell of course.

Your side was probably 55-65% orange. It looked like my side was 85% maroon (I'm guessing since you had a better view of my side than I did). It looked like the Nunes blog kids were having a blast but I would guess at there maybe being 200 of them? As for overall attendance I would make a guess at 20k but I think it can be very tricky to estimate in such a large stadium. It very likely could have been more. In person it looked sparse overall.

As most know, I live in the Houston area. Took my 3 kids to the game. Had a great time, even the youngest who's not a football fan. He was screaming with the rest of us at the end. :)

- Not sure if they showed the trophy ceremony, but Terrel Hunt was MVP. Got a cowboy hat :)
- That said, Estime had to be a close second. Even with the fumble, he had a terrific game topped off with the punt return that set us up for the win.
- Would be surprised if there were 10K at the game, but it was about 50-50 split in fans.
- Minny fans were cordial. The ones who sat in our section were polite and actually quiet for most of the game.
- That said, I think some of the Minny fans had other things on their mind. The only chant I heard from them was when they were doing a "We hate Iowa" chant in the concourse :confused:
- I won't go into much more on the players since most of you watched the game, however, Kirkland was constantly pumping other players up, giving guys words of encouragement. It was great to see.
- The kids that got the free tickets through Sean and the alumni group were decked out in Orange, but it was obvious that their numbers were much less than the amount of tickets donated. They got to sit by the band and looked to have good time.
- Speaking of bands, if TomCat was at the game, I'll let him give the tuba count. I will say, though, that the tuba difference was indicative of the bands size differences...but not of their volume or spunk.
-Great job by Mark and Pauline on the tailgate. Food was good, and the band/cheerleader entertainment was superb. Band played more at the tailgate than they did for the halftime show. SU has an awesome baton twirler.
- Lastly, and I risk offending a fellow SU fan (could even be a board member for all I know), I now understand some of the complaints about SU fan participation. My introduction to the nice couple in front of us was the husband asking "you aren't screamers, are you? If you are, we're going to sit behind you." Now this was middle of the section at the 50 yard line. I would expect most people in that area to be into the game. We aren't screamers, normally, but we did our part in the 4th quarter. The couple never complained. Just thought it was a strange introduction for a football game...in Texas. Also, 3 older SU fans in our row left at the beginning of the 4th quarter :confused::(
- I will never understand Reliant Stadium's policy on opening gates 90 minutes before kickoff. Well, at least it was better than the 45 minutes prior to HS playoff games.

That's all for now.

What he said. Spot on. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom