Just like last year | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Just like last year

This is clearly not the situation that's of concern here ... in the corporate boxes, which do provide financial support to SU Athletics.

My former company along with many others don't have a box suite. My old firm has about 12 premium seats scattered in the first few rows behind both SU's and the opponents benches. I'm more than positive that they aren't alone. A number of the courtside seats are also corporate seats, owned by firms throughout CNY. They can be filled by employees, vendors, visitors and customers etc. I personally know that a former boss was a Louisville grad and went to some of the Louisville-SU games. Happily SU doesn't have a shortage of support though so it's a drop in a huge bucket but just more visible when it occurs.

If you want to support SU ... (as most of the people frequenting this forum do), then selling tickets to Duke fans is not a very smart idea: it diminishes the home court advantage and it's unnecessary, as it's easy to find other SU fans to sell your tickets to if you're not so hurting for cash that all you need is a score. That much should be obvious ... again if you support the MBB program. If not and you're going to break out the old "free market" excuse, that's fine, but don't bother pretending you support SU athletics.

If things are that tight, maybe you should be working a second job instead of posting here.

Your posts reek of this elitist attitude that references people working harder and maybe not buying season tickets if you can't afford it. My opinion is a guy who lays out more than he can afford for seasons so he can see most games, but makes up the difference with one game is a true fan. Also to assume people should work harder to sell their tickets for possibly less money to an SU fan is idiotic. You keep throwing In that this free market concept is a lane excuse but it is a very good one. You sound like a judgemental person . Who seems to have an opinion of how poeple should spend their money. While we are at it. Why don't you and your friends let everyone know how and when it is ok to sel THEIR tickets. Shoot us your personal email and we will use you wisdom to make sure cuse beats Duke next year.

Your posts reek of this elitist attitude that references people working harder and maybe not buying season tickets if you can't afford it. My opinion is a guy who lays out more than he can afford for seasons so he can see most games, but makes up the difference with one game is a true fan. Also to assume people should work harder to sell their tickets for possibly less money to an SU fan is idiotic. You keep throwing In that this free market concept is a lane excuse but it is a very good one. You sound like a judgemental person . Who seems to have an opinion of how poeple should spend their money. While we are at it. Why don't you and your friends let everyone know how and when it is ok to sel THEIR tickets. Shoot us your personal email and we will use you wisdom to make sure cuse beats Duke next year.
the point is that you buy the tickets because you want to go to the games. not to get your money back by selling a game or two, especially the best game on the schedule. if you are buying seasons, but cant afford it, that is just dumb because there is no way to predict the demand. some of you are making all these excuses for people but lets be honest, people were/are buying season tickets just to resell them.

orangehomer said:
the point is that you buy the tickets because you want to go to the games. not to get your money back by selling a game or two, especially the best game on the schedule. if you are buying seasons, but cant afford it, that is just dumb because there is no way to predict the demand. some of you are making all these excuses for people but lets be honest, people were/are buying season tickets just to resell them.

But if you're breaking out even and going to every home game on the year except for one for free I'm not understanding how that doesn't make you a fan? Especially if you don't have the money.

To me it looks like a fan that would do anything to see their beloved team play as many times as they can for as little money possible. This being Syracuse there are many many people with financial issues, fans and non fans, I'm sure the broke fans would still want to see their team if at all possible. Who's to tell them they're less than a fan who has booko bucks and can throw pocket change down for season tickets like it's nothing? I'm not.

But if you're breaking out even and going to every home game on the year except for one for free I'm not understanding how that doesn't make you a fan? Especially if you don't have the money.

To me it looks like a fan that would do anything to see their beloved team play as many times as they can for as little money possible. This being Syracuse there are many many people with financial issues, fans and non fans, I'm sure the broke fans would still want to see their team if at all possible. Who's to tell them they're less than a fan who has booko bucks and can throw pocket change down for season tickets like it's nothing? I'm not.
I just think that this is an extremely naïve way of looking at it, the money is spent up front

Some of my favourite memories at sporting events are crowds that are split a bit. Certainly home leaning or way home leaning, but having just enough of the opposition fans creates more tension ... and more importantly it wakes the home fans up and makes them louder.

In my view adding 5,000=7000 Duke Fans will make the 28=30,000 from Syracuse even louder. And increase the home court advantage.

Last edited:
Bayside44 said:
Funny I saw them and wasn't annoyed at how they got tickets - I was annoyed at them. It was pretty obvious that none of them go / went to Duke or for that matter ever stepped foot in Durham. Reminded me of Cowboy fans that are as Texas as Bees.
One should only be fans of teams in their own geographical area? Who comes up with these rules?

After last year's crazy ticket prices for the game, my friends and I wished we bought a bunch of tickets early on just to sell them for a profit. Big deal?

One should only be fans of teams in their own geographical area? Who comes up with these rules?
Are townies from storz and dc big donors of the Syracuse Athletic program??

Alsacs brought pro sports into this discussion to tryto make a point,which IMO was wrong because college athletics is basically Oranges to the pros apples.

Clearly the townies who donate for great seats, want their $$ back to make their donation a wash...hey despite what the traditional networks and current government try to tell us, this is still America so more power to them.

But don't Fn complain when dook & unc are at the Garden and football ramps up the Giants Stadium games...the uni is just trying to make a buck too.

Now 25% of you go out there, miss the point on this one too and make a fool of yourself trying to keep up...

Last edited:
Are townies from storz and dc big donors of the Syracuse Athletic program??

Alsacs brought pro sports into this discussion to tryto make a point,which IMO was wrong because college athletics is basically Oranges to the pros apples.

Clearly the townies who donate or great seats, want their $$ back to make their donation a wash...hey despite what the traditional networks and current government try to tell us, this is still America so more power to them.

But don't Fn complain when dook & unc are at the Garden and football ramps up the Giants Stadium games...the uni is just trying to make a buck too.

Now 25% of you go out there, miss the point on this one too and make a fool of yourself trying to keep up...

Duke and UNC will never be at the garden. That's a pipe dream wish by you at this point.

KaiserUEO said:
Are townies from storz and dc big donors of the Syracuse Athletic program?? Alsacs brought pro sports into this discussion to tryto make a point,which IMO was wrong because college athletics is basically Oranges to the pros apples. Clearly the townies who donate for great seats, want their $$ back to make their donation a wash...hey despite what the traditional networks and current government try to tell us, this is still America so more power to them. But don't Fn complain when dook & unc are at the Garden and football ramps up the Giants Stadium games...the uni is just trying to make a buck too. Now 25% of you go out there, miss the point on this one too and make a fool of yourself trying to keep up...
I don't follow your post. I was just wondering why we should look down on Duke fans who have never been to Durham.

I don't follow your post. I was just wondering why we should look down on Duke fans who have never been to Durham.

Doesn't seem to make much sense to be a fan of a school where you have no regional / emotional / academic ties. Everyone lives near some school - root for them if you didn't go there.

But again I don't understand Cowboy fans either.

Some of my favourite memories at sporting events are crowds that are split a bit. Certainly home leaning or way home leaning, but having just enough of the opposition fans creates more tension ... and more importantly it wakes the home fans up and makes them louder.

In my view adding 5,000=7000 Duke Fans will make the 28=30,000 from Syracuse even louder. And increase the home court advantage.

If they had 1000 it was a lot. I think the base is used to seeing zero from the Big East schools.

Bayside44 said:
Doesn't seem to make much sense to be a fan of a school where you have no regional / emotional / academic ties. Everyone lives near some school - root for them if you didn't go there. But again I don't understand Cowboy fans either.
Everyone has their reasons. They just might not be as noble as yours.

This is an unnecessarily indignant and childish response. The point is, IF you're an SU fan, you buy tickets to see the game OR you consider selling to an SU fan first rather than trying to scrounge an extra $50 from a Dukie. No one here, including me, is "telling" you how to "spend your money". What we're saying is that using your SU seats for petty profit instead of giving an ounce of consideration to SU athletics -- and all the fans near your seats that have to hear Duke cheering the whole game -- is pathetic. I'm not judging you as a person .. just what you're doing with your seats. There are many (real) fans on here that would gladly purchase your tickets. I don't see why it is so insulting, elitist or controlling .. just to ask that you give an SU fan a chance first.

Last edited:
This is an unnecessarily indignant and childish response. The point is, IF you're an SU fan, you buy tickets to see the game. It's not a way to make money (for most of the ppl that post on here anyway). But if it is .. it's a free country ... just don't call yourself a fan if you'll sell out to Duke fan for an extra $50 bucks. No one here, including me, is "telling" you how to "spend your money". What we're saying is that using your SU seats for profit instead of giving an ounce of consideration to SU athletics -- along with all the fans near your seats that have to hear Duke cheering the whole game -- is pretty pathetic. I'm not judging you .. just what you're doing with your seats. There are many (real) fans on here that would gladly purchase your tickets. I don't see why that is so insulting, elitist or controlling .. just to ask that you give an SU fan a chance first.

Again who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't do, on what makes someone a fan or doesn't make someone a fan. You have been judging in every single one of your posts so don't kid yourself sunshine.

Again who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't do, on what makes someone a fan or doesn't make someone a fan. You have been judging in every single one of your posts so don't kid yourself sunshine.
No one's giving instructions, Shawn. Re-read my post. Once again, if you're a fan, this is not complicated -- you just post your tick's on here or look for someone that supports SU. If not, and your "loyalties" to SU aren't worth the extra $50 your might get from a Dukie, then why are you here?

No one's giving instructions, Shawn. Re-read my post. Once again, if you're a fan, this is not complicated -- you just post your tick's on here or look for someone that supports SU. If not, and your "loyalties" to SU aren't worth the extra $50 your might get from a Dukie, then why are you here?

Again, who are you to say what someone does with their tickets? As well as, who are you to decide who is a 'real' fan or not?

Again, who are you to say what someone does with their tickets? As well as, who are you to decide who is a 'real' fan or not?[/QUOT

I'm pretty sure that if $50 erases any loyalties you might have to SU, and any consideration you might have for other (real) SU fans sitting nearby, you aren't a fan, Shawn. So I'll ask again, why are you here?

Again, who are you to say what someone does with their tickets? As well as, who are you to decide who is a 'real' fan or not?

Take the act of selling seats to opposing fans to it's exaggerated conclusion - if every SU fan did this, the Dome would be a sea of blue for Duke games. You cool with this? If not, you can't defend isolated incidents of it. It's actively hindering the competitive home court advantage of the team you claim to root for.

The idea of using season tickets as a way to make an extra buck seems counter to what it means to be a "fan" (fanatic). Fans want to be at the big games. Thank god we don't play in a smaller gym.

Threads where we judge others for their levels of fandom are my favorite. Let's put together a set of rules for what it means to be a "real fan."
Hey maybe we can relaunch the pay side and call it the REALcuseFanZone:

In addition to paying you must:
(1) Swear a blood oath of loyalty to Jim Boeheim
(2) Sign a contract that you will never sell a season ticket through StubHub and never miss a home game, regardless of circumstances.

Hot Topics could include:
* Strategies for attacking anyone that is remotely critical any aspect of Boeheim's coaching
* REAL fan metrics, are you a real fan?
* The Poors; how can we keep them from buying season tickets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom