Class of 2014 - Justin Noye | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Justin Noye

Yup, Joe was a Rochester kid too.
What about that tall safety we had in the '90's that wore number 18? I think his last name was Jones (having a brain fart).

Scott Greene was an all big ten RB/FB. in the 90's. Currently the Head Coach at Univ. of Rochester

Back to Teps question when is the last time a kid from Rochester did anything on the football field. Has the Jones kid done anything at ND? Schifano was a four star kid who was a bust at Michigan. Both colliers were busts. Jones brother transferred to umass. I think Teps pretty much right. Ashton hasn't done anything you'd have to maybe go back to the mid 90s to find a Rochester kid who's been successful at the bcs level.
this is all true, those guys didnt perform. I agree. Every state has those guys. Alot of 4 or 5 star recruits in florida /Texas/California ddint live up to expectations either. It just look worse for our state because there's not alot of prospects coming out every year. So if a kid doesnt pan out, its easy to recognized it. We rely on the local kids to make SU better. That is alot of pressure. Not saying that its not right but some kids deal witth it better than others. Ex. Averin Coller. Tom Ferren, Mike Stenclik, Andre Fountenette

it is worth it to some degree. Im not saying the NY has more talent than the other states. Have to acknowledge locals kids. Fan interest and support.
Agree

Pitt has been successful with kids from Rochester too.

A couple more Roch alums to add to the SU list...TE great Pat Kelly (before RW) and current punter Jonathan Fisher. Then there are the Rochester kids we have lost. In addition to those mentioned we can through in Jarron Jones @ ND. I don't even know if he played as a true frosh this year but expectations are high.

Another thing to remember is kids from upstate NY have the opportunity to draw more family and friends to games. They have the opportunity to become media darlings. SU will always have the attention of the Rochester media but a kid from Rochester on the field at SU will attract even more attention from the Rochester media. That same kid playing at Rutgers or Pitt will still get mentions but not at the same level.

I lived in Rochester for 10 years. Outside of people that were alums or grew up in CNY, I never got the feeling people had much interest in SU sports. I didn't much see SU gear being worn that much, and to me the Bills were clearly more popular than SU could ever dream to be in that area. I actually ran into Notre Dame fans more often than Syracuse fans while I lived there.

And again guys, I'm not talking about kids who got a D1 scholly out of that area. I'm talking about impact players.

Over the past 10 years, if I think of Syracuse, I think of Marcus Sales and Damien Rhodes, Hart at Michigan, Dunbar at BC. If I think of Albany I think of Adam Terry and Matt Tarullo, Dion Lewis at Pitt. I think of Rochester and nothing pops into my head.

I just refuse to allow myself to get worked up over our recruiting in the Rochester area. The recent track record is that what you get out of it is not worth the time you put into it.

And Phat's point is exactly why I started this in the first place. I remember how upset people were when Schifano went to Michigan and the first Collier went to Pitt and how pumped we all were when Averin came here, and none of them amounted to anything.

And again guys, I'm not talking about kids who got a D1 scholly out of that area. I'm talking about impact players.

Over the past 10 years, if I think of Syracuse, I think of Marcus Sales and Damien Rhodes, Hart at Michigan, Dunbar at BC. If I think of Albany I think of Adam Terry and Matt Tarullo, Dion Lewis at Pitt. I think of Rochester and nothing pops into my head.

I just refuse to allow myself to get worked up over our recruiting in the Rochester area. The recent track record is that what you get out of it is not worth the time you put into it.

And Phat's point is exactly why I started this in the first place. I remember how upset people were when Schifano went to Michigan and the first Collier went to Pitt and how pumped we all were when Averin came here, and none of them amounted to anything.
I dont think anyone on here gets too excited about Rochester players. Rochester players normally contribute to SU but they dont always become stars like you said. I agree. But you can say that about alot of players in NYS not just Rochester. I dont think that people have a level of optimism like you think. Rochester players will never be the saviors of SU football. We know that. But you still have to recruit Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton. No matter how many times you struck out with the players from those areas.

I dont think anyone on here gets too excited about Rochester players. Rochester players normally contribute to SU but they dont always become stars like you said. I agree. But you can say that about alot of players in NYS not just Rochester. I dont think that people have a level of optimism like you think. Rochester players will never be the saviors of SU football. We know that. But you still have to recruit Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton. No matter how many times you struck out with the players from those areas.

Exactly. I don't understand why we need to pigeon hole any kid, no matter where they are from. If they can play - we want them. The end.

If you continually loose out on players...no matter where they are that means to me that other teams that do get them are getting players that you think are better...now you have to go digging in some other place hoping to get the same or better quality player. Just makes sense to me to go an hour down the road to find the kid than 18 hour drive or a long flight that is not all that affordable to most of these kids or there families. We can evaluate these local kids more as well.

Ordinarily I might argue or debate this but I think there is a strongcase to be made on this subject,so I agree.Oh Lord
I reluctantly agreed as well. Players, especially local players, should always be evaluated. Those determined to be of BCS talent should be recruited, but until kids in central NY dream of playing for SU, it seems that it will be an uphill battle. It almost seems like kids from Rochester are looking for any other offer before committing to SU, and then they jump as soon as they get a "better" offer.

I reluctantly agreed as well. Players, especially local players, should always be evaluated. Those determined to be of BCS talent should be recruited, but until kids in central NY dream of playing for SU, it seems that it will be an uphill battle. It almost seems like kids from Rochester are looking for any other offer before committing to SU, and then they jump as soon as they get a "better" offer.

I resent the notion that Rutgers is the "better offer". Ever. Forever.

I resent the notion that Rutgers is the "better offer". Ever. Forever.
I put it in quotes for a reason, to imply it is percieved as a better offer by some of these kids.

Sure thing. Just had to make sure we're all in agreement :).
Trust me, we are. I just shake my head when a kid says they want to major in communications and they take their education seriously and then they choose Rutgers over SU, What?

was gonna add those names. Branden Albert was gonna play at East high his juinor year but he moved to maryland after the basketball season his sophomore year. He moved with his uncle Ashley Sims, who is Ashton Broylds father. There is more, just dont feel like looking them up. Jazzmin Williams was also a two year starter at BC. Victor's Seth Payne was a cornell kid but he had a solid career in the NFL. Rochester has more talent than any other city in the state of NY. IMO

Without doing any research, I'd probably go with NYC over Rochester when it comes to talent.

Without doing any research, I'd probably go with NYC over Rochester when it comes to talent.
not talking about NYC. I was referring to upstate NY. Binghamton on up. NYC should have more talent. they have 4x's the amount of people.

I lived in Rochester for 10 years. Outside of people that were alums or grew up in CNY, I never got the feeling people had much interest in SU sports. I didn't much see SU gear being worn that much, and to me the Bills were clearly more popular than SU could ever dream to be in that area. I actually ran into Notre Dame fans more often than Syracuse fans while I lived there.
Times have changed...SU gear all over the place. It may not say "SU Football" so we have the bball and lax programs to thank but there is plenty of SU on man, woman and child. Still lots of Bills (even in down years) and some ND and of course Yankees (for whatever reason) but lots of SU gear.

not talking about NYC. I was referring to upstate NY. Binghamton on up. NYC should have more talent. they have 4x's the amount of people.

I would hope so. That's why I was surprised by the comment.

Uconn and UB offered recently. Pitt, Temple, BC, Stanford on the trail

The Southern tier has been loaded with top quality players for decades.It was mostly tapped by Penn State far more than Syracuse.For many of those decades i've had deep connections to the area.I was born in Binghamton and know the people very well.Binghamton was economically depressed much sooner than Syracuse was hit by the loss of industry. There was a feeling of jealousy by the those of Syracuse's prosperity and growth.The university wasn't a strong recruiter down there and that hurt them a great deal when they did go after a prospect.

A little probably still exists but not nearly as muchI would think Rte 81 helped a great deal in connecting the areas.Going up to Syracuse for a day of shopping is no longer a major excursion.The old rte 11 was hardly a quick trip. I've been on that road as much as Rod Serling when he was writing his show and used the small towns in the "Twilight Zone"As a young man my father knew Serling as they both worked in close by grocery stores.They were about the same age and became friends. Not best friends but they would hang a bit after their shifts. My father had aspirations of engineering due to his proficiency in math. Serling of course had other ideas so they drifted a partSchools andthe war pretty much did that friendship in. Yeah I know way off the point. Just a memory rant Sorry.:bat:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom