Kaleb Joseph to transfer to Creighton | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb Joseph to transfer to Creighton

If Richardson leaves, we only have two guards. We'll def need a fifth year grad or Junior college transfer.

They are looking at that kid from Columbia. Seems like a good fit.

Kaleb wasn't a "miss". The timing and situation changed. He was highly regarded in HS and a very good get. But he was supposed to spend 1-2 years as Ennis understudy and develop. Having to be the starter from day 1 didn't work out because he was thrown into the fire and changed all the dynamics for him. Chino was a miss but Kaleb I don't feel was.
It probably also didn't help his confidence that JB basically named G the PG last spring...

Maybe not the right time to bring that up but it is a valid statement.

BJJ, I think could have had a James Southerland career arc and come on in his Junior/Senior year as a shooter but due to the scholly restrictions, we couldn't wait.

Chino and Patterson are head scratchers. I literally can't think of a reason why we brought them in.

Joseph, I'm going to assume he looked good in high school because the play we saw on the court from him was just off...I know he isn't that bad but it was just off.

Given some guys we moved on from to bring in these guys, it definitely warrants a "What?".

That said, the staff has clearly found it's groove again.

It isn't valid--it is a horses#@$% perspective. Recruiting is fine. The sky isn't falling.

A couple of players didn't pan out. Big deal. Not all players do. We've rebounded well, and didn't miss a beat.

If you watched the bench, locker room, player reactions: Kaleb was engaged and the most excited for his teammates throughout the season and this FF run. I think he has talent, but more importantly he has character and class. I am sure he will find success at another program and in life. Best of luck!

Yup, watch his reaction during the huge run in the Virginia game. Dude lets out a primal scream at one point that lets you know how passionate he is.

Kaleb wasn't a "miss". The timing and situation changed. He was highly regarded in HS and a very good get. But he was supposed to spend 1-2 years as Ennis understudy and develop. Having to be the starter from day 1 didn't work out because he was thrown into the fire and changed all the dynamics for him. Chino was a miss but Kaleb I don't feel was.
I guess it depends on how we are defining "miss." The way you're defining it, I agree. So many schools were recruiting him. Playing wise, he was a miss. He's not good enough to play at a high major level imo. He doesn't have enough to his game. He's not athletic enough. Struggles shooting wise and dribbling. Can't really defend. He clearly has a great attitude and a great morale so I think that if he finds the right fit where he can get some confidence, he could turn into a solid player. I do not think its at the high major level tho

Bottom line - if we continue to land players that were as highly regarded as KJ - more often than not they will pan out. Whether he could have been an impact player for us if circumstances were different is just speculation.

It probably also didn't help his confidence that JB basically named G the PG last spring...
Guys there's a reason for that. Joseph wasn't good enough. JB didn't want G to play point guard. He just realized that if the team wanted to succeed and win, he can't play Joseph. If that means putting G at the point, he had to do it. JB wanted his best players to be on the floor and if that meant G had to move over to point, he was willing to make that adjustment and change

If Malachi leaves, the quality of the transfer we bring in needs to be high quality.

A high quality combo who can shoot.

No room for error.

jordoo said:
Its in the works already, but I am still cautiously optimistic that Mal returns.

I refuse to get in the battle over what a kid should do.

He'll do what he thinks is best for him.

But it would do him wonders to return.

If Malachi leaves, the quality of the transfer we bring in needs to be high quality.

A high quality combo who can shoot.

No room for error.

If I'm a high quality combo that can shoot, and I was looking to transfer for my final year of eligibility, why would I choose to go to a team where the best player has just left? Wouldn't I want to go someplace with a better chance of going deep into the tournament than a Mali-less SU?

I get why SU would want or need the player. I can't understand why this highly-sought after commodity would choose SU under these conditions (if malicahi leaves).

Joseph's first game with the Cuse...Carleton 11/2/2014 exhibition.

Freshman point guard Kaleb Joseph led the way for the Orange, going 7-9 from the field for 19 points to go along with four rebounds and four assists in his first appearance and start for Cuse.

Also-The player that impressed the most on Sunday was Ron Patterson. Patterson was 4-of-5 from beyond the arc and scored 15 points in as many minutes to spark the Orange comeback.

http://isportsweb.com/2014/11/07/syracuse-basketball-near-scare-exhibition-game/k.

Freshman point guard Kaleb Joseph led the way for the Orange, going 7-9 from the field for 19 points to go along with four rebounds and four assists in his first appearance and start for Cuse.

Also-The player that impressed the most on Sunday was Ron Patterson. Patterson was 4-of-5 from beyond the arc and scored 15 points in as many minutes to spark the Orange comeback.

http://isportsweb.com/2014/11/07/syracuse-basketball-near-scare-exhibition-game/k.
We'll always have Carleton.
tumblr_nfzq5vnV3j1tv7fsto1_500.gif

Townie72 said:
If I'm a high quality combo that can shoot, and I was looking to transfer for my final year of eligibility, why would I choose to go to a team where the best player has just left? Wouldn't I want to go someplace with a better chance of going deep into the tournament than a Mali-less SU? I get why SU would want or need the player. I can't understand why this highly-sought after commodity would choose SU under these conditions (if malicahi leaves).

Your logic makes no sense.

You're saying that SU isn't going to be able to go deep in the tourney because Malachi has left?

Really?

I think SU would still be a pretty good team without him but would be greatly improved with a quality transfer who can fill Malachi's role.

So quality transfers will only go to teams that are going to have a chance at the Final 4?

Respectfully disagree.

the future is bright! id be surprised if we're not in the final 4 by 2016

I think Buss and BJ would have been good players here. They were victims of the loss of scholarships. Buss was a very good defensive player who played with a lot of energy, while BJ would have been a very good shooting 3 for us once he bulked up. Time will only tell when he takes the court next year with LaSalle.

Jospeh, Johnson, Patterson, Chino

Somewhere the train went off the tracks on the recruiting trail
Yes. Our number of available scholarships went off the tracks. These would have been a lot of misses, if that's what they were but they weren't. Aside from maybe Chino, they were 4-year guys who could have been pretty good for us as upper-classmen but we lost the luxury that many 4-year guys. We haven't lost our recruiting mojo by a longshot.

But I think you know that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom