Kinda OT: for EPL fans - is JB really Arsene Wenger? | Syracusefan.com

Kinda OT: for EPL fans - is JB really Arsene Wenger?

OrangeFoo

All American
I think these days the one sport I follow more than any other is soccer... Mainly because I am a Mets, Knicks, Bills, Syracuse fan and they all are not doing so great this century. In other news I hate sports.

I've always been an EPL fan following Liverpool since the Michael Owen goal vs Argentina in the 98 world cup. Last year I became more of a soccer fan than a fan of any other sport due to three big events: NBC bought the EPL rights last year and basically every game is available on US tv, Liverpool turned into the greatest show on grass towards the end of last season, and I had a baby girl so finding a sport I could watch in 90 minutes max on dvr was a big big deal. This year hasn't been nearly as good as Liverpool seems to have caught the OrangeFoo disease and are really really bad this year.

Anyways enough background... I came across this article about Aresene Wenger, who coaches Aresenal in the EPL... http://www.espnfc.us/club/arsenal/3...mbo-until-arsene-wenger-leaves-premier-league

I read the article and I thought my god, if you just replace Aresene Wenger with Jim Boeheim the article would be one that a lot of folks want to write over here. The parallels between the two coaches are amazing...
  • Both are historical greats
  • Both were born in the 40s
  • Their names are the first thing one thinks of when the names Arsenal or Syracuse Basketball come up
  • Both have had great success but are also accused of underperforming to expectations
  • Both are known for their system.. JB for the zone and Arsene for his flowing offense
  • Both are accused with sticking to their system to a fault even when it doesn't work
I think both men are two of the greatest minds in their respective sport. But I also think both of them are stubborn to a fault and that has cost them success over the years. I also think both have earned the right to name their departure date but I do wonder if that date shouldn't be sooner rather than later.

Anyways thought I'd try to liven up everyone's day on a wet, snowy, cold Monday.

I think these days the one sport I follow more than any other is soccer... Mainly because I am a Mets, Knicks, Bills, Syracuse fan and they all are not doing so great this century. In other news I hate sports.

I've always been an EPL fan following Liverpool since the Michael Owen goal vs Argentina in the 98 world cup. Last year I became more of a soccer fan than a fan of any other sport due to three big events: NBC bought the EPL rights last year and basically every game is available on US tv, Liverpool turned into the greatest show on grass towards the end of last season, and I had a baby girl so finding a sport I could watch in 90 minutes max on dvr was a big big deal. This year hasn't been nearly as good as Liverpool seems to have caught the OrangeFoo disease and are really really bad this year.

Anyways enough background... I came across this article about Aresene Wenger, who coaches Aresenal in the EPL... http://www.espnfc.us/club/arsenal/3...mbo-until-arsene-wenger-leaves-premier-league

I read the article and I thought my god, if you just replace Aresene Wenger with Jim Boeheim the article would be one that a lot of folks want to write over here. The parallels between the two coaches are amazing...
  • Their names are the first thing one thinks of when the names Arsenal or Syracuse Basketball come up
  • Both have had great success but are also accused of underperforming to expectations
  • Both are known for their system.. JB for the zone and Arsene for his flowing offense
  • Both are accused with sticking to their system to a fault even when it doesn't work
I think both men are two of the greatest minds in their respective sport. But I also think both of them are stubborn to a fault and that has cost them success over the years. I also think both have earned the right to name their departure date but I do wonder if that date shouldn't be sooner rather than later.

Anyways thought I'd try to liven up everyone's day on a wet, snowy, cold Monday.

I guess you aren't in CNY, because it is 71 and Sunny today here .

Great job. Both are HOFers and achieved a lot, but both fanbases feel each coach has had bad luck and left some trophies on the table.

I think that is a fair comparison.

Wenger = Boeheim
Mourinho = Calipari
The Mourinho to Calipari comparison is interesting... personally I think it's an insult to Mourinho. At the end of the day he is a brilliant coach and his players love him even though everyone hates how his teams play. I think Coach K is an interesting comparison to Mourinho, although Coach K doesn't play the same mind games. Nick Saban might be an even better Mourinho comparison.

Good call. Arsenal will always have The Invincibles, and SU Hoops has Carmelo's championship - both in 2003 (well, sort of).

Wenger = Boeheim
Mourinho = Calipari

No, Calipari hasn't won titles at different schools. Nobody has, in fact. He and Pitino have both taken 3 teams to Final Fours, but with Calipari, the ones from UMass and Memphis have been vacated for cheating.

I'd say that Phil Jackson is probably a closer comparable for Mourinho, having won multiple titles with different teams. Nick Saban might be the closest thing for college football, with titles at LSU and Alabama.

Wenger = Boeheim
Mourinho = Calipari

When they went at it last month, I was thinking Mourinho = Jamie Dixon.

If only.

Boeheim shoving Jamie Dixon would earn him a parade, I think.

As a diehard Syracuse and Arsenal fan, this thread makes me sad.
Hey at least you'll make the Champions League year in and year out.. try being a Liverpool fan. They spend $100MM plus on 8 players in the offseason and most of them seem to have gotten worse. If they don't make the CL this year Rogers it out and the team will be stuck with a bloated roster they have to ditch.

No, Calipari hasn't won titles at different schools. Nobody has, in fact. He and Pitino have both taken 3 teams to Final Fours, but with Calipari, the ones from UMass and Memphis have been vacated for cheating.

I'd say that Phil Jackson is probably a closer comparable for Mourinho, having won multiple titles with different teams. Nick Saban might be the closest thing for college football, with titles at LSU and Alabama.

Pitino won it all in 1996 and 2013.

Pitino won it all in 1996 and 2013.

Oops, you're right. What was I thinking? (Blocking it out, I'm sure.)

So Rick would probably be a fair comparison.

Watching Chelsea-Arsenal and Wenger's reaction when to the Cech blunder 3rd goal reminded me of JB reaction.

I miss his posts and he had one after NSD on the FB board.
I know he has kids so maybe they are taking up more time than posting on this board which makes a lot of sense. He was in my top 5 must read posters.

I see that now.. just need moqui to come back.

I miss his posts and he had one after NSD on the FB board.
I know he has kids so maybe they are taking up more time than posting on this board which makes a lot of sense. He was in my top 5 must read posters.
He's around. Just posted less than 2 days ago.

Holy balls this thread is a golden oldie. I stand by my Wenger/JB analogy even more now than I first created the thread. Two great great men who are approaching the end. Both their sports will be far worse off when these great gentlemen call it a day.

After today I think both JB and Arsene Wenger are both going to be done after this year.
These legends are intertwined.

After today I think both JB and Arsene Wenger are both going to be done after this year.
These legends are intertwined.
I don't think Wenger gets canned, this year or ever. Much like with JB and his bosses, I think Arsenal's owners have way too much respect for Wenger to fire him. I think the only way Wenger is gone is if he chooses to do so. Having said that, the rumors coming out of London are that Wenger has decided he's done so I think he really might be done.

I have seen or read nothing that makes me think that JB wants to retire after this year. He still seems to have the will to fight. And, much like with Wenger I don't think Syracuse every fires him, especially given he only has one more season after this one before his stated retirement date.

I think Wenger goes, JB stays for one more. The one thing that could change my mind is if both Lydon and Battle go pro, because at that point the team is basically starting from ground up and if I'm JB I don't want a total rebuild. But a team of Lydon, Battle, plus that redshirt dude seems like it could make some hay. We need a SG and some depth between now and then however.

I don't think JB wants to retire either. In fact, I heard a rumor earlier today that JB recently asked the chancellor for 5 more years and was told "no".

Beyond that I think the parallels between the two hold up pretty well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom