Kool Kid is awful | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Kool Kid is awful

its so hard to know if the fact that we get 3-4 scramble plays a game is more than what we might get out of a bit more passing ability.. but the Int's had to stop..

people act like Hunt hasnt thrown Int's or had passes batted down. he is throwing much easier passes and the game he didnt he threw 4 picks.

I disagree about the relative easiness of his throws this last game - and NC State too. I think he throws picks when we're down. He forces throws.

Allen tries to force every throw.

When I read "Cool Kid" or "Dougie" I usually expect that the poster doesn't like the guy right from the get go and no matter what they do they won't be happy.

When I read "Cool Kid" or "Dougie" I usually expect that the poster doesn't like the guy right from the get go and no matter what they do they won't be happy.

Kool Kid is the nickname OttoinGrotto gave him and is meant to be complimentary and that is the way I use it. Dougie is another matter!

To me Syracuse has few options when it comes to coordinators because proven coordinators are making just as much as Shafer. So they either have to promote a position coach and help them grow into the spot, ie; Hack and GMC or hire a retread like a Browning, White or that clown that Marrone hired ( Spence) that everyone hated as well. The retreads tend to be safe, never going to be great and many of them don't like recruiting anymore. The guys with no experience need time, like Hack and GMC, I know GM had a year or two but it's been awhile.

If it were me I would hire the OC from the best smaller program with a great O out there, whether it be a non BCS school or even a 1AA school, maybe even from the Northeast. Fordham seems to score a ton of points but Syracuse needs the best recruiters they can possibly find. That said with GMC, give him time to recruit and get his kids out there, I for one think we will like what we see. The guy can sell and yes I believe he will get better managing the entire offense, it's a lot to take in after 10 months for sure. The talent at WR isn't exactly stocked. I do agree he should be running Smith more. But unless we are willing to pay 700K for an OC I don't see us ever getting a proven commodity, it will always be a crap shoot and people will always complain about play calling as hindsight is 20/ 20.

I don't see a ton of raw talent with regard to the wr or qb spot right now. Pretty plain to see, two guys converted, one guy that probably would be playing TE at Stanford with 20-25 pounds on him, and one afterthought JUCO kid who weights 150 pounds but we can blame that on GMC that's fine too, I don't really care eitherway. These type of arguments are stupid amazing how much better and simple an offense can look with very good athletes. Syracuse and GMC will need to develop a blend of scheme and talent that works here because we will never have the best talent but we clearly need more

I will take an average offense with good recruiting all the way around and stability with the hope that the offense really gels during years where we have all the pieces. I think people over estimated Marrone's recruiting on the offensive side terribly and I mean way way way over estimated. Not one of those 4 kids last year was truly his recruit, say what you will but they weren't.

Last edited:
Kool Kid is the nickname OttoinGrotto gave him and is meant to be complimentary and that is the way I use it. Dougie is another matter!

Wait, Ottoin:bang:Grotto gave someone a compliment? Now I know you're pulling my leg!

Actually, someone else gave him the nickname Cool Kid and was using it in a negative fashion. I've since attempted to use it in a positive way, but Go likes using it to mock McDonald.

Which, again, really is confusing because Go has proven himself over the previous 4 years to be an ardent coach supporter, with nary a negative comment to be made about the coaches during that time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

As the coaches themselves say, "90% of coaching is recruiting".
Who is currently the most exciting offensive player on the team? Estime. Who recruited him - McDonald.
We got the right guy.

Wait, Ottoin:bang:Grotto gave someone a compliment? Now I know you're pulling my leg!
Ouch, man. I mean, I get it, but... ouch.:cool:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

How about the drive before the half.

43 yard pass to west - 1st and 10 at wake 30

1st down play is a roll out shovel pass to gulley? What was that and why?

2nd and 10 is a smith run btw he tackles for a gain of 4 (this should've been the first down play call)

Now it's 3rd and 6 and the wheels come off with 12 men in the huddle coming out of a time out. Not only was the 1st down play call stupid but the kids then don't know who should be on the field coming out of a time out .

THe drive ends in a 4th and 19 from the 39 after Beckett wales is called for a hold. He had a miserable game blocking by the way.
Actually, the shovel pass would have worked really well if Wales hadn't completely blown his blocking assignment.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Actually, the shovel pass would have worked really well if Wales hadn't completely blown his blocking assignment.

That seems to be a pattern with him. I like the kid as a TE but his open field blocking leaves a lot to be desired.

McDonald is willing to learn and that's a good thing. Now, he has to be able to figure out how to attack and get what works. If he is the recruiter I think he is I am by far going to be more patient with him than with a guy that is struggling in the glass box calling plays and that's all he does.

I disagree about the relative easiness of his throws this last game - and NC State too. I think he throws picks when we're down. He forces throws.

Allen tries to force every throw.
you can count on one hand the throws that were into traffic. all short outs or deep throws, no slants or progression read throws. 2-3 all day any where into the center of the field

I'll stick by my opinion that if we stuck with Allen the offense would be further ahead today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This board is nothing if it's not about digging in your heels and picking a side.

I should know. We can spot our own.

I think the biggest reason Hunt is still starting can be wrapped up in one false start by Beckett Wales. Hunt turns the next play into a TD. Would Allen throw a TD there into a tight window? Maybe, we'll never know. But I feel more comfortable with Hunt running the spread option. It doesn't help Hunt's QB rating, but gives us a desperately needed TD in a rock fight like that.

I agree with you that Allen looked better against GT. Victim of some drops and a drive killing personal foul call. But I didn't think he looked THAT much better. It was like we went from an inept QB to a possibly ok QB. And same situation as Hunt/Northwestern, it's not like Allen played that 2nd half against the best of GT's defense. I really thought we'd see him in the 2nd half against Wake, but in hindsight, I'm glad we didn't.

with awful QBs, this terrible offensive coordinator has more yards against BCS teams than our brilliant former coach had in 3 out of his 4 seasons here.

there's been one year since 2008 that sticks out as different.

seems strange to be so bent out of shape over a guy who is doing the same as marrone did most years.
year yards vs bcs
2013 347.8
2012 470.3
2011 344.7
2010 299.1
2009 324.1

with awful QBs, this terrible offensive coordinator has more yards against BCS teams than our brilliant former coach had in 3 out of his 4 seasons here.

there's been one year since 2008 that sticks out as different.

seems strange to be so bent out of shape over a guy who is doing the same as marrone did most years.
year yards vs bcs
2013 347.8
2012 470.3
2011 344.7
2010 299.1
2009 324.1

Agreed and I think that is where we want to see the production versus BCS opponents, whole new staff, new qb, lost our best receivers and not much to replace, I think a bit of patience would be fine,give the guy some time. New conference as well, better conference.

That said, this cant be said for the defensive meltdowns that transition should have been much more seamless... Just pathetic in 3 of the 4 losses.

Like Chip said, everybody loves to dig the heels in. I AM RIGHT!!!! Like I said, after the Minny game last year everybody wanted Hack fired! Then he goes on a hell of run to finish the season, people wanted him to be the HC!

I will say this, GMC is the best recruiter we have had here in years, I don't want him going anywhere

McDonald is willing to learn and that's a good thing. Now, he has to be able to figure out how to attack and get what works. If he is the recruiter I think he is I am by far going to be more patient with him than with a guy that is struggling in the glass box calling plays and that's all he does.

Agree 100%.

i didn't see wales mess that one up but i mentioned in another thread he had a miserable day blocking. you can add that one to the list then.

This isn't on Estime or his ability, but all those bubble screens for 2-3 yards did little to win the game. It kept them honest but we weren't gaining any yards so putting anyone out there would hVe had the same results. I realize putting Estime out there is with the hopes one will be broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those bubble screens went for more than 2-3 yards. Outside of a 6 yard curl, Estime caught 9 passes for 62 yards, or a 6.9 average. Clark caught 3 for 19, or 6.3 yards per catch. West nearly took one for a 15 yard touchdown. We averaged close to 7 yards per bubble -- not too shabby considering it's a run.

I thought West's near TD was a great call by GMac. He motioned to trips right, leaving West with what appeared to be a deep third corner and a lb protecting the curl. Quick bubble to west, beats his man and almost takes it to the house. His offense is predicated on letting your best players make plays.

Does he have these guys learning too much too fast? Maybe. These young kids seem a bit confused out there, lining up wrong (like Broyld who went out to block on a run pass option -- oops). But my guess is they are willing to bite the bullet this year, get these kids experience and have them learn from their mistakes. Almost the complete opposite of Marrone. As Milly showed, Marrone's first few years here under a new system weren't great shakes either.

i didn't see wales mess that one up but i mentioned in another thread he had a miserable day blocking. you can add that one to the list then.

Missed his seal on that one -- though if Gulley cut upfield he may have had something. It was a solid call, as it caught WF's flow the other way.

Those bubble screens went for more than 2-3 yards. Outside of a 6 yard curl, Estime caught 9 passes for 62 yards, or a 6.9 average. Clark caught 3 for 19, or 6.3 yards per catch. West nearly took one for a 15 yard touchdown. We averaged close to 7 yards per bubble -- not too shabby considering it's a run.

I thought West's near TD was a great call by GMac. He motioned to trips right, leaving West with what appeared to be a deep third corner and a lb protecting the curl. Quick bubble to west, beats his man and almost takes it to the house. His offense is predicated on letting your best players make plays.

Does he have these guys learning too much too fast? Maybe. These young kids seem a bit confused out there, lining up wrong (like Broyld who went out to block on a run pass option -- oops). But my guess is they are willing to bite the bullet this year, get these kids experience and have them learn from their mistakes. Almost the complete opposite of Marrone. As Milly showed, Marrone's first few years here under a new system weren't great shakes either.

Good post. like I said, I don't see anything much worse than what Marrone ran out there his first three years, if the bubbles average 6-7 yards then why bitch... Other teams run the out of them too. GMC does not have Lemon, Provo or Sales either. Even the Van Chew dynasty would help.