Last Night's Loss is 99% on FH... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Last Night's Loss is 99% on FH...

Lemme get this straight...you put a 15-year old through interval training in 90 degree heat under blazing sun in high humidity until she puked multiple times to prepare her to play high school soccer? Just checking.

I didn't put anybody through anything.

My daughter came to me after freshman year of high school and showed me the recommended summer workout, put on the soccer team website by the varsity soccer coach, in order for them to be able to run the required 2 miles in 12 minutes (she also had required times for 800s, 400s, 200s and 100s).

You cannot make the time, you do not make varsity. Period. End of story.

Tryouts start at high noon on the second Monday in August with the 2 mile run. You don't make the time, you go straight to JV or freshman.

She asked me if I would do the workouts with her to help her prepare.

I acquiesced - against my better judgement. I was pushing 50 at the time and hadn't run intervals in 30 years

We started the workouts in late June. Her first day, she ran the 2 miles in 13:30.

By August 1st, she was running the 2 miles in 11:45...

She worked her butt off that summer...

So, yeah, we both put ourselves through interval training in 90 degree heat under blazing sun in high humidity until she puked multiple times to prepare her to play high school soccer - because she asked me to you because she really wanted to make the varsity team as a sophomore.

Would you have done the same for your kid if your kid asked you to work out with him or her to get ready for tryouts?

My daughter came to me after freshman year of high school and showed me the recommended summer workout, put on the soccer team website by the varsity soccer coach, in order for them to be able to run the required 2 miles in 12 minutes (she also had required times for 800s, 400s, 200s and 100s).

Tryouts start at high noon on the second Monday in August with the 2 mile run. You don't make the time, you go straight to JV or freshman.

I acquiesced - against my better judgement. I was pushing 50 at the time and hadn't run intervals in 30 years

We started the workouts in late June. Her first day, she ran the 2 miles in 13:30.

So, yeah, we both put ourselves through interval training in 90 degree heat under blazing sun in high humidity until she puked multiple times to prepare her to play high school soccer - because she asked me to you because she really wanted to make the varsity team as a sophomore.

Would you have done the same for your kid if your kid asked you to work out with him or her to get ready for tryouts?
My son started on the varsity high school baseball team as a freshman. Only one or two guys make it, the rest play freshman or JV. After all, asking a 15-year old to compete against an 18 yr old can be insurmountable. But he was an advanced level player for his age. We traveled around the country from March through November from age 11 - age 16 to play in tournaments. Some years he played year round.

On the west coast, Arizona and Nevada, baseball is super competitive -- most of the elite level players travel as we did. At one point when he was 14 or 15, he played roughly 100 games that year. It was way too much but his team was ranked in the top five in that age group in the country so there was some pressure. All I did was get on the plane, or drive to wherever, help him manage his emotions after winning or losing, and pay up. We played catch on the weekends or after school (I had played at a high level, too) but that was about it. What I learned was the high school coaches give the kids summer lists of what to do, etc., but it means nothing. If you can play you'll get on the field, if not you won't. At the high school level there's a big difference between the ability of most kids. Stamina doesn't make up for talent when there's a talent gap.

Now, my son played ball in college where most of the guys are of about equal ability. In that case, having a good motor from being in shape can get you on the field. You asked, so I'll answer -- knowing what I know now, I'd tell my kid to enjoy his summer and begin to get ready in December or January. The HS baseball season starts here the third week in February and ends in late May...that would have given him plenty of time to get ready. But the truth is I fell victim to the "if you want to make the team do this" crapola that high school coaches throw out there.

Last edited:
The other 1% is on me. After Buddy had that great rebound and outlet pass for the breakaway to Battle and we went up three, and Mason was injured, I looked to see what time we would play Gonzaga on Saturday out of curiosity. Immediately after I did it I felt an overwhelming sense of jinxing dread.

The paper said he failed a drug test. So, I assumed marijuana. Hopefully, it was not something harder like Coke or Horse or Angel Dust etc...How do you know this was his first time hitting the pipe? You his roommate?

My argument is just a bad attempt to cloak more Frank bashing? You just crossed the line numbnuts.

There is nobody, and I mean nobody on this board, who is more vicious to posters who go after players and coaches than me. Nobody. If you don't realize this, ask around.

Ask Alsacs or Tbone or SUfan44 or HakAttack or Zehparus or Newmexicuse or SteveHolt or FrancoPizza or even Igor from way back in the day (think 2001 on...)...I got on Igor so badly, he wanted to fight me and he was in his sixties at the time. Mano a mano he called it...

I defend JB to the death and I support these players through thick and thin - going all the way to hammering Igor for "tavern league", hammering Tristan for getting on GMAC , killing posters for getting on Paul Harris and Devo and Triche and Cooney and...and...and...

So, when I go after a player. it is a real rarity.

I am one of Frank's biggest defenders on this board. I went after Iommi like a rabid dog when he wanted Frank run off the team after the recruiting fiasco. I got on him so bad in chat one game and on the board that the mod threatened to ban me if I did not lighten up.

But what Frank did this time is unforgivable. He let down his teammates and his coaches - JB in particular.

And that is something a player in a team sport just does not do. And his timing could not have been worse. He spent the last game of his college career not even on the bench. His last NCAA tourney and he isn't even in the arena and he has to watch, from afar, as his team, that he has bled orange for for the last four years, goes down in flames...

Think about that.

Yeah, JB should have managed the team differently during the season and force-fed JC more minutes even though he showed, over and over again, that he isn't ready because he knew Frank was going to get himself suspended on the eve of the tournament. That is great logic. Do you even think before you post?

So, for you to tell me that I am simply cloaking this post as something other than more Frank bashing, you are WAAAAAAY out of line, Kemo-sabe.
I asked around. No one's heard of you.
Exactly. It was an 8/9 game. We saw two equal teams out there last night.

I credit Drew for switching defenses. That bought them enough stops to win.

Boeheim, obviously did not.

Why can’t we acknowledge this? In a toss up game, coaching was the difference.
He went zone and we torched it. That's when we got back into the game

That's the difference between acheiving and dreaming

She would run, puke, run, puke, run, puke from beginning until the end. And she was 15 at the time. it took her a month to get through the workout without puking.

"Pain does not exist on this soccer field, DOES IT?!"
"NO, FORZA!"

sensei-john-kreese.jpg

That's the difference between acheiving and dreaming
Not in high school it isn't. Not when kids are still growing. Not when the difference in ability differs so much from kid to kid.

Yeah, cause recruiting misses over the last four years, and not FH's decision to get into the Cannabis business right before the tournament caused last night's loss.

Ok, sparky. You keep posting.

Forza feelin' salty today.

I agree with pretty much everything in your original post here except when you said Frank was a SENIOR LEADER. I never saw much leadership from Frank this season or any other season.

My son started on the varsity high school baseball team as a freshman. Only one or two guys make it, the rest play freshman or JV. After all, asking a 15-year old to compete against an 18 yr old can be insurmountable. But he was an advanced level player for his age. We traveled around the country from March through November from age 11 - age 16 to play in tournaments. Some years he played year round.

On the west coast, Arizona and Nevada, baseball is super competitive -- most of the elite level players travel as we did. At one point when he was 14 or 15, he played roughly 100 games that year. It was way too much but his team was ranked in the top five in that age group in the country so there was some pressure. All I did was get on the plane, or drive to wherever, help him manage his emotions after winning or losing, and pay up. We played catch on the weekends or after school (I had played at a high level, too) but that was about it. What I learned was the high school coaches give the kids summer lists of what to do, etc., but it means nothing. If you can play you'll get on the field, if not you won't. At the high school level there's a big difference between the ability of most kids. Stamina doesn't make up for talent when there's a talent gap.

Now, my son played ball in college where most of the guys are of about equal ability. In that case, having a good motor from being in shape can get you on the field. You asked, so I'll answer -- knowing what I know now, I'd tell my kid to enjoy his summer and begin to get ready in December or January. The baseball season starts here the third week in February and ends in late May...that would have given him plenty of time to get ready. But the truth is I fell victim to the "if you want to make the team do this" crapola that high school coaches throw out there.

Ok...thanks for your perspective...and your experience with your son.

You lived it with your son.

A couple differences. My daughter played extremely high level soccer in 5th and 6th grade - think a very high level club team that was nationally ranked and travelled to tournaments up and down the east coast.

BTW, if you had told me on the day my daughter was born that I would be driving 10 hours to watch my 10 year old daughter play a soccer game, I would have told you that you were a stark, raving lunatic...

Yet, there I ended up driving 10 hours to watch her play lacrosse in Richmond, Virginia, soccer at Jefferson Cup and, worst of all, driving 14 hours to watch my son play in a baseball tournament in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina at the tender age of 13...

Going into 7th grade, the club soccer coach told her that she had to choose between soccer and her other sports (she also played basketball and lacrosse).

She chose her other sports and left the high level team to drop down to a much lower club team that would allow her to continue to play both hoops and lax.

The problem was that our high school girl's soccer team is consistently nationally ranked and churns out All-Americans and All-State players like IMG.

The coach runs the team like a college team and not a high school team. When my daughter was going into high school, the team had won the state championship either 3 or 4 years in a row.

Freshman year, she gets to tryouts and she ran the two miles in 14-something. Coach doesn't even look at her as she crosses the finish line. She just says, "Go play with the freshmen." She could not have cared less about her soccer skills. All that mattered was fitness since the team played a 4-3-3 and pressed high up the field - for all 80 minutes every game.

The outside backs (my daughter played left back) had to be able to go endline to endline since they were constantly expected to make overlapping runs down the flanks to allow the three center mids to stay central and provide width and deliver crosses and then sprint back after a turnover. That requires an incredible amount of stamina. Like Nolan Richardson's 94 feet of hell - except a soccer field is 120 yards long...360 feet of hell...

My daughter was easily skilled enough to play varsity as a freshman, even on that good a team, but her fitness prevented her from even having a chance.

To give you a basis for comparison. Phillymoose's kid just signed to play for SU. His kid and my kid both played against some of the same teams in various tournaments back when they were U-11 and U-12.

Therefore, she was hell-bent on making the time because she knew she was skilled enough to make varsity as a soph.

Many high school coaches do throw out a lot of crappola about fitness but our high school girls varsity soccer coach was not one of them. She knew how good my daughter was coming into tryouts. She didn't care. Don't make the time? Go play with the freshmen.

Ouch. Tough life lesson for a 14 year old that life isn't always fair.

And tryouts were in mid-August and we started in late June so that is the equivalent to a baseball player starting in early jan, about six weeks before tryouts..

Last edited:

Now, my son played ball in college where most of the guys are of about equal ability. In that case, having a good motor from being in shape can get you on the field. You asked, so I'll answer -- knowing what I know now, I'd tell my kid to enjoy his summer and begin to get ready in December or January. The HS baseball season starts here the third week in February and ends in late May...that would have given him plenty of time to get ready. But the truth is I fell victim to the "if you want to make the team do this" crapola that high school coaches throw out there.

BTW, my uncle has a kid who played baseball for Bucknell. Low-level D1 - Patriot league.

They are from Wisconsin.

They came out to Dreams park in Cooperstown to play in one of the U-12 tournaments.

When I asked him how his team was going to do, he replied, "We should do ok as long we don't have to play anyone from California, Texas or Florida.

That tournament was my first exposure to really high level youth baseball and that was in about 2007.

It taught me that there is high level youth baseball and then there is the level on the west coast, Texas and Florida - which is in a whole different universe.

I learned about kids flying in to pitch in playoff games...It was a real eye-opener...

My son was four at the time and had just played T-ball. LOL...

Thanks for sharing. Much appreciated.

Forza feelin' salty today.

I agree with pretty much everything in your original post here except when you said Frank was a SENIOR LEADER. I never saw much leadership from Frank this season or any other season.

Yes, I should have said that he was SUPPOSED to be a senior leader.

A senior leader does not get himself suspended on the eve of his last NCAA tournament, regardless of the reason.

Great point.

Where did your kid end up playing in college?

Ok...thanks for your perspective...and your experience with your son.

You lived it with your son.

A couple differences. My daughter played extremely high level soccer in 5th and 6th grade - think a very high level club team that was nationally ranked and travelled to tournaments up and down the east coast. Btw, if you had told me when my dauighter was born that I would be driving 10 hours to watch my 10 year old daughter play a soccer game, I would have told you that you were a stark, raving lunatic...

Going into 7th grade, the club soccer coach told her that she had to choose between soccer and her other sports (she also played basketball and lacrosse).

She chose her other sports and left the high level team to drop down to a much lower club team that would allow her to continue to play both hoops and lax.

The problem was that our high school girl's soccer team is consistently nationally ranked and churns out All-Americans and All-State players like IMG.

The coach runs the team like a college team and not a high school team. When my daughter was going into high school, the team had won the state championship game either 3 or 4 years in a row.

Freshman year, she gets to tryouts and she ran the two miles in 14-something. Coach doesn't even look at her as she crosses the finish line. She just says, "Go play with the freshmen." She could not have cared less about her soccer skills.

My daughter was easily skilled enough to play varsity as a freshman, even on that good a team, but her fitness prevented her from even having a chance.

To give you a basis for comparison. Phillymoose's kid just signed to play for SU. His kid and my kid both played against some of the same teams in various tournaments back when they were U-11 and U-12.

Therefore, she was hell-bent on making the time because she knew she was skilled enough to make varsity as a soph.

Many high school coaches do throw out a lot of crappola about fitness but our high school girls varsity soccer coach was not one of them. She knew how good my daughter was coming into tryouts. She didn't care. Don't make the time? Go play with the freshmen.

Ouch. Tough life lesson for a 14 year old that life isn't always fair.
And tryouts were in mid-August and we started in late June so that is the equivalent to a baseball player starting in early jan, about six weeks before tryouts..

Other than accusing me of being Frank's HGH dealer, it sounds like our experiences with youth sports are somewhat similar. I didn't say I was sure about Frank and HGH just that the dots connected that way and nothing pointed toward weed, assumptions notwithstanding. I do think the trainers and some of the staff knew.

As for high school sports, I just think the coaches who push the kids so hard and draw arbitrary lines of who's worth coaching and who isn't don't care that development is a long process. It's worse at the travel ball level, maybe the worst for soccer. They think they know who can be good but they don't. No one does. They care about their record of Ws and Ls. I know a few kids who couldn't make my son's travel team who went on to get drafted high. Others who started on their D1 baseball teams. Others who played at AA, AAA and two or three in the majors. Others who seemed sure shots but fizzled out at age 18, couldn't hit a slider, but then again, who can? There's always going to be someone bigger and faster than you no matter how righteous your high school coach was.

Good for your daughter that she's driven to make the team. Bad for the coach that she draws hard lines that ultimately mean nothing at the next level. For lots of kids that kind of rigor coaches impose leads to burn out when they realize it doesn't translate to playing time in college. That's the hardest lesson that kids unfortunately only learn when they're already in college and look around to see everyone is as good or better than they are no matter how tough their high school coach was. Ultimately, high school sports don't matter one wazoo.

Last edited:
Other than accusing me of being Frank's HGH dealer, it sounds like our experiences with youth sports are somewhat similar. I didn't say I was sure about Frank and HGH just that the dots connected that way and nothing pointed toward weed, assumptions notwithstanding. I do think the trainers and some of the staff knew.

As for high school sports, I just think the coaches who push the kids so hard and draw arbitrary lines of who's worth coaching and who isn't don't care that development is a long process. It's worse at the travel ball level, maybe the worst for soccer. They think they know who can be good but they don't. No one does. They care about their record of Ws and Ls. I know a few kids who couldn't make my son's travel team who went on to get drafted high. Others who started on their D1 baseball teams. Others who played at AA, AAA and two or three in the majors. Others who seemed sure shots but fizzled out at age 18, couldn't hit a slider, but then again, who can? There's always going to someone bigger and faster than you no matter how righteous your high school coach was.

Good for your daughter that she's driven to make the team. Bad for the coach that she draws hard lines that ultimately mean nothing at the next level. For lots of kids that kind of rigor coaches impose leads to burn out when they realize it doesn't translate to playing time in college. That's the hardest lesson that kids unfortunately only learn when they're already in college and look around to see everyone is as good or better than they are no matter how tough their high school coach was. Ultimately, high school sports don't matter one wazoo.
Yeah, I humbly withdraw both numbnuts and HGH dealer:confused:. You did come after me hard though...

The points you make above are so spot on...I agree with all of them...

Quick story.

My son thought he was a big deal this Spring because he made a high-level club baseball team. They go to their first tournament down at Diamond Nation.

Their first game is against one of the top teams on the East coast.

My son leads off. He hits a sharp grounder into the hole between short and third. Now, my son has some serious speed. Grounder in the hole is an automatic single - always has been.

Shortstop for the other team, moves back and to his right, backhands it and throws my son out by two steps.

My son usually beats that throw by at least a yard, if not more. Put it this way, it is not a close play.

He just stops, turns and stares at the shortstop for an eternity...never had that happen to him before.

Two innings later, the kid comes in in relief for the starting pitcher and is throwing 85+ MPH (at 14 years old!!!!).

Turns out he is already being looked at by SEC schools as a freshman in high school. They know who this kid is and he is on their radar.

My son struck out looking at 3 pitches without ever even swinging. The 3rd strike was a curve that buckled him at the knees and had him bailing...

As you said above, there is always someone bigger, faster and just plain better...

Where did your kid end up playing in college?

He blew out his knee with an ACL at the end of his soph year and missed his whole junior year. Off the table went D1 scholarship offers to a number of Pac 12 schools, the two Arizona schools, Oregon and maybe 10 others. He had a really good senior season, returned to his earlier level but the heavy verbal commitment period for baseball is the summer after the junior year. After that the recruiters fill mostly by need at certain positions. He ended up playing D3 ball at Willamette in Oregon, a small liberal arts school that plays in a really good conference. There's no athletic scholarships at that level but somehow, miraculously they came up with 90% of his tuition, room and board, books, fees, etc. as an inducement to sign.

He got recruiting interest at that level and at D2 and at some lower level D1 schools but he was cool with where he was. In baseball, a lot of D1 guys that ran into something like he did play at lower levels as freshmen and then transfer to a D1 school. He started at 2B as a freshman, really hard to do in college, and was offered at D1 the end of that year. But by that time, he liked it where he was and stayed. They play 40 games between late Feb and late April so they're grinding it out, conditioning and hitting in the off season and jamming when the grass is green. He got on the field as a freshman because in the fall he beat out the returner and another freshman, he put up good numbers at the plate, was solid in the field, kept his head down and his mouth shut and just played. In a word, he made it hard for the coach to sit him. That's what getting on the field in college is all about...make it hard for the coach to sit you. In his soph year, he showed more pop, got his legs back and had himself a helluva year. And then in the fall of his junior year, torn cartilage in the same knee got him and he became a full time student.

Last edited:
Yeah, I humbly withdraw both numbnuts and HGH dealer:confused:. You did come after me hard though...

The points you make above are so spot on...I agree with all of them...

Quick story.

My son thought he was a big deal this Spring because he made a high-level club baseball team. They go to their first tournament down at Diamond Nation.

Their first game is against one of the top teams on the East coast.

My son leads off. He hits a sharp grounder into the hole between short and third. Now, my son has some serious speed. Grounder in the hole is an automatic single - always has been.

Shortstop for the other team, moves back and to his right, backhands it and throws my son out by two steps.

My son usually beats that throw by at least a yard, if not more. Put it this way, it is not a close play.

He just stops, turns and stares at the shortstop for an eternity...never had that happen to him before.

Two innings later, the kid comes in in relief for the starting pitcher and is throwing 85+ MPH (at 14 years old!!!!).

Turns out he is already being looked at by SEC schools as a freshman in high school. They know who this kid is and he is on their radar.

My son struck out looking at 3 pitches without ever even swinging. The 3rd strike was a curve that buckled him at the knees and had him bailing...

As you said above, there is always someone bigger, faster and just plain better...

Love, love, love that story. I believe I've made a new friend. Yeah, you're right I did come at you pretty hard.

He blew out his knee with an ACL at the end of his soph year and missed his whole junior year. Off the table went D1 scholarship offers to a number of Pac 12 schools, the two Arizona schools, Oregon and maybe 10 others. He had a really good senior season, returned to his earlier level but the heavy verbal commitment period for baseball is the summer after the junior year. After that the recruiters fill mostly by need at certain positions. He ended up playing D3 ball at Willamette in Oregon, a small liberal arts school that plays in a really good conference. There's no athletic scholarships at that level but somehow, miraculously they came up with 90% of his tuition, room and board, books, fees, etc. as an inducement to sign.

He got recruiting interest at that level and at D2 and at some lower level D1 schools but he was cool with where he was. In baseball, a lot of D1 guys that ran into something like he did play at that level and then transfer to a D1 school. He started at 2B as a freshman, really hard to do in college, and was offered at D1 the end of that year. But by that time, he liked it where he was and stayed. They play 40 games between late Feb and late April so they're grinding it out, conditioning and hitting in the off season and jamming when the grass is green. He got on the field as a freshman because in the fall he beat out the returner and another freshman, he put up good numbers at the plate, was solid in the field, kept his head down and his mouth shut and just played. In a word, he made it hard for the coach to sit him. That's what getting on the field in college is all about...make it hard for the coach to sit you. In his soph year, he showed more pop, got his legs back and had himself a helluva year. And then in the fall of his junior year, torn cartilage in the same knee got him and he became a full time student.

And now I fully understand why you have such skepticism regarding the requirements of high school coaches...any day between the lines could be your last and all those D1 scholarship dreams could go up in smoke in a nanosecond...good for your son that he persevered until injuries finally caught up with him...

Is your son still in college or has he graduated?

And now I fully understand why you have such skepticism regarding the requirements of high school coaches...any day between the lines could be your last and all those D1 scholarship dreams could go up in smoke in a nanosecond...good for your son that he persevered until injuries finally caught up with him...

Is your son still in college or has he graduated?
Graduated in '13 and became a firefighter/paramedic. Said his playing days at all levels made the difference in competing for his job. Gave him an edge others didn't have. Go figure.

Yes that's exactly why I think high school coaches other than the ones who understand the development process and make it fun for the kids are whacked.

Well this thread became a love story.
Fatigue from all the fighting that goes on here does wonders for the heart. Common ground is an amazing thing, ain't it? Imagine if those in power did the same. "You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one," someone wise once sung.

Graduated in '13 and became a firefighter/paramedic. Said his playing days at all levels made the difference in competing for his job. Gave him an edge others didn't have. Go figure.
Congrats to him.

End of the day, great success story, even if it didn't end up in the show...

All those trips, all those games...all that time...all that money...

But I bet you'd give both legs to be able to do see him play just one more time, wouldn't you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom