LAX Action for Feb 13-14 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

LAX Action for Feb 13-14

Some thoughts on Army after UVA game .

UVA ride as noted is a big key to their success. It creates many offensive opportunities for them but can also leave them vulnerable on D if ride handled. Army didnt handle it well, only 10 for 19 on clears and that lead to some uva spurts . Thought our ride was good last year . ...Sure Army will work on clears this week.

Army got badly beat on faceoffs and ground balls in first half. They battled and matched uva on ground after halftime and actually outshot UVA in 2h .

Thought Army offense had it fair share of good looks but va. young goalie was very good after 1q with 12 saves. Nichtern delivered passes to cutters to crease and also to step down shooters . Army O does look more mobile ..Byrne was impressive, mids Abshire and Kiesba got off thirteen shots

Nichern was able to get topside several times and put eight shots on goal vs UVA compared to only three sog vs Cuse last year . Porter should note that many of his shots were aimed low which was a change .

Army D graduated two good defenders last year. Their replacements were fine but UVA attacked n Hudgins was average. Doc noted that Cuse needs to be aggressive not passive with Army. Refhuss is talented, like to see him testing his defender more.

For a goalie , Schupler is consistent. A few breakdowns including his own sloppy turnover led to some easy va goals. Seen several Army games and the only really bad game he has had was agaisnt Marist . He's not giving up many mid range shots, gotta pressure and attack as we did in 4q last year

Some thoughts on Army after UVA game .

UVA ride as noted is a big key to their success. It creates many offensive opportunities for them but can also leave them vulnerable on D if ride handled. Army didnt handle it well, only 10 for 19 on clears and that lead to some uva spurts . Thought our ride was good last year . ...Sure Army will work on clears this week.

Army got badly beat on faceoffs and ground balls in first half. They battled and matched uva on ground after halftime and actually outshot UVA in 2h .

Thought Army offense had it fair share of good looks but va. young goalie was very good after 1q with 12 saves. Nichtern delivered passes to cutters to crease and also to step down shooters . Army O does look more mobile ..Byrne was impressive, mids Abshire and Kiesba got off thirteen shots

Nichern was able to get topside several times and put eight shots on goal vs UVA compared to only three sog vs Cuse last year . Porter should note that many of his shots were aimed low which was a change .

Army D graduated two good defenders last year. Their replacements were fine but UVA attacked n Hudgins was average. Doc noted that Cuse needs to be aggressive not passive with Army. Refhuss is talented, like to see him testing his defender more.

For a goalie , Schupler is consistent. A few breakdowns including his own sloppy turnover led to some easy va goals. Seen several Army games and the only really bad game he has had was agaisnt Marist . He's not giving up many mid range shots, gotta pressure and attack as we did in 4q last year

Good post, hard to disagree with anything you said. I will say, UVA defensively seemed to go long stretches holding Army in check and then Army would have a small run and then go cold again. Didn't see the final stats but they appeared to make a big effort to slide early and often to Nichtern and force someone else to beat them.

Not sure what SU's game plan will be on Sunday from an offensive standpoint beyond attacking from the midfield. SU has developed a bad pattern when playing Army. The games seem to go one of two ways:
1. SU jumps or gets out to a 2-3 goal lead that seesaws back and forth between 1-3 goals and often turns into a white knuckler in the second half.

2. SU gets down a decent or big amount in the 1st half and then has to mount a furious comeback in the 2nd half. SU has often won these games but got burned in Rehfuss's R-Frosh year when Army scored with only a few seconds left in the game. Same script the following year but SU game back to win in Double OT on Simmons goal after again getting down a bunch.

The attack unit if my recollection is correct has really struggled in these games save for Rehfuss's frosh year when he came in and had a real good game off the bench. SU also struggles with turnovers against Army (see last years game) and seems to struggle at time to get in a rhythm and sometimes with the physicality of Army. With a mostly upperclass team I am really hoping SU can impose its will a bit next Sunday. Not looking for a blowout by any stretch but UVA had Army doubled up most of the game and was clearly in control, I'd like to see something similar.

As far as new faces on the scene go, the guy who scares me the most right now is Shellenberger for UVA. I was openly suspicious of his talent after seeing him do nothing in a scrimmage vs team USA, and with their decision to redshirt him, but in hindsight it’s pretty silly to judge based on either of those things.

Similar to Epstein in that he looks like a mature player and decision maker for his age, but on top of that he can really move and gain separation with the best of them. Sometimes he has looked like curry on alley dodges but has shown ability to change direction quickly as well. His shot is fast and he is capable of being deceptive with his location. Some great feeds in the army game. Not many weaknesses to his game that I can see, but maybe a lack of size and strength means a strong enough defender can push him away from his spots. It will be hard not to put a d pole on him, which is true for a disturbing amount of uva guys. You win this round, IL recruiting folks.

UVA has a plethora of versatile players who attack . Laviano is about the only starter who doesn't dodge and he is a superb finisher off opportunities created . Moore ran by Hudgins twice on speed alone yesterday and recall Shellenberger leaving Koby Smith in his trail the week before. Cormier bull dodges are difficult to defend given his mobility ,size and ability to protect ball. Betrand is a glider with deceptive speed, he can also separate and passes very well when slides come . Aiken is still Aiken, combo of speed, strength and skills. Off bench , Dickson is known for dodges at cage though subbing in at mid while Garno is another who gets into seams and can rip. Haven't even gotten into mids Conner and Quinn. College Close made a pt in their podcast that UVA is basically starting six attackman who have great sticks but maybe not long range shots. I dont see them lacking that capability as its a deep versatile offense as are others in ACC. Yes, give Xanders his due , he did get it right with Shellenberger and Cormier rankings.

UVA has a plethora of versatile players who attack . Laviano is about the only starter who doesn't dodge and he is a superb finisher off opportunities created . Moore ran by Hudgins twice on speed alone yesterday and recall Shellenberger leaving Koby Smith in his trail the week before. Cormier bull dodges are difficult to defend given his mobility ,size and ability to protect ball. Betrand is a glider with deceptive speed, he can also separate and passes very well when slides come . Aiken is still Aiken, combo of speed, strength and skills. Off bench , Dickson is known for dodges at cage though subbing in at mid while Garno is another who gets into seams and can rip. Haven't even gotten into mids Conner and Quinn. College Close made a pt in their podcast that UVA is basically starting six attackman who have great sticks but maybe not long range shots. I dont see them lacking that capability as its a deep versatile offense as are others in ACC. Yes, give Xanders his due , he did get it right with Shellenberger and Cormier rankings.
Laviano seems like the closest thing to an old fashioned creaseman playing right now. Finishes, great at picking up loose ball rebounds, and ferocious on the ride.

Watched the UNC v Jacksonville game on youtube yesterday. The UNC offensive behemoth looked a good deal less scary compared to the denver game. Jacksonville had some questionable 1 v 1 defense but they were a great deal more disciplined when it came to sliding and team defense than Denver was. A big part of the lopsided score was Jacksonville's truly insane amount of failed clears and turnovers immediately after their defense took the ball. Shot clock would reset and the D would not have the stamina. Even their goalies were throwing horrible clear passes which seemed ironic with Galloway on the sideline.

UNC would potentially be the least scary school in the ACC (not saying much) if they did not have Chris Gray. Solomon and Kelly are both pretty ineffective off the dodge. People say our attack is relatively weak but Scanlan and Rehfuss are stronger players than those two IMO (Solomon good off ball however). First line is formidable, but their depth at middie had almost no impact yesterday. Just based on his past success, McCarthy from Princeton should get it going eventually, but he has been very quiet early. At present, I'm more scared of who Duke and UVA trot out in the middle of the field.

The issue is that they indeed do have Chris Gray, and he is the best offensive player in the country. Nobody can take their eyes off of him. Gets separation as well as anyone and has one of the best shots I have ever seen on top of it, both set shooting and on the run. Even when they score and he doesn't get the goal or assist, some attention he drew along the way is often the root cause. They will always have a real shot at the Natty with him in the drivers seat. Similar to Loyola with Spencer.

UNC is playing High Point today so get another look .

Liked your post but think they are now much more than Gray who is unreal. Young talent that is older and more experienced

Their first line of mids is seasoned and really good , one of the top mid units .

Their D has looked good in front of a good looking goalie.

Denver game still resonates.

Will be interesting matchup because Cuse is very athletic and may be able to offset their quickness to a degree.

1-0 high point after they broker the 10 man.

Game is on ACC Network.

UNC is playing High Point today so get another look .

Liked your post but think they are now much more than Gray who is unreal. Young talent that is older and more experienced

Their first line of mids is seasoned and really good , one of the top mid units .

Their D has looked good in front of a good looking goalie.

Denver game still resonates.

Will be interesting matchup because Cuse is very athletic and may be able to offset their quickness to a degree.
For me it's tough to gauge their first middie line. For instance Cook put up 27 points in the shortened 2020 season. Quite impressive, but that shortened season stat total is more than he has ever scored in a full season at UNC, and two of those years he was a 1st line middie. Anderson put up 25 in 2020 which is only 2 less than the most he has had in a season, and he started for the three previous. Did these two both suddenly get way way better or are we looking at the effects of bringing in a truly elite presence on attack that pushes the whole offense forward. Their starting middies have not given us any trouble at all in the last three years we played them. Not once have we dealt with a Costabile or Aitken style barrage of successful individual efforts. I think it is possible to look at Gray as the new variable that has lead to a bump in their stats.

Looks like High Point will be able to match UNC's tempo this should be fun to watch!
Also High Point goalie is locked in early.

4-1 HP with 4 left in the first. HP goalie playing well, 6 saves early. Mixing in some zone which I think is throwing the heels off. HP offense not scared of UNC, going right at them.

5-3 High Point at end of 1. Not sure if they can keep this tempo up, and if this goalie can keep standing on his head but they are playing well. Nolting is a load to handle.

7-6 now UNC. HP can’t win a face off and I think it’s starting to wear on them. Both teams employing a 10 man ride which has been fun. Think UNC is just too much for the Panthers, but they have some real talent.

7-6 now UNC. HP can’t win a face off and I think it’s starting to wear on them. Both teams employing a 10 man ride which has been fun. Think UNC is just too much for the Panthers, but they have some real talent.
Great to see that the new face off rules have leveled the playing field!

Your going to struggle to beat any ACC team this year if your getting murdered at the X. I'd also give a hard look at double polling UNC and or shutting of Gray ala Teat from a few years ago.

11-7 UNC at half. Tar Heels have over 40 shots so far, Panthers nowhere near that. UNC shooters just too good, and I think HP sliding too early. Took them sometime to figure out the zone, but they are on cruise control now it seems. Tar Heel defense hasn't looked great when they have had to play it.

Gray is unreal. What impresses most s that he runs the show from all spots. He's low, he's wide, he's high. Small, shifty fast . Doesn't seem fair that he can also rip from outside.

Gray is unreal. What impresses most s that he runs the show from all spots. He's low, he's wide, he's high. Small, shifty fast . Doesn't seem fair that he can also rip from outside.

How in the world did this kid end up at BU?

The shock and terror phase has begun for UNC. High Point getting great looks every time on offense but they have had the ball like twice this half.

14-7 for UNC and the wheels are off. Gray so impressive. Been impressed with their FOGO #15. Does not look like a typical face off guy with a tall lanky frame but wins the ball cleanly almost on command and just scored his second goal of the season.

Think DocLexis is right, UNC midfield not scary in the traditional sense, they are not great dodgers despite looking like they should be, and Cook especially has had an up and down career (think he was benched his soph or junior year). But they play to Grays strength with their shooting and unselfishness. I agree that outside of Gray, to a man this roster is not that intimidating, but with Gray they are a whole different animal because he plays to their strengths, and they to his. They are definitely a team built around one guy.

Score now 15-8 since I started typing, it’s too bad possessions are so tilted as this would be a much closer game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom