1612475924673.png

Friday, Feb. 5
No. 7/5 Denver at No. 1 Duke | 3 p.m. | ACCN

Saturday, Feb. 6
Towson at No. 5/6 Virginia | 4 p.m. | ACCN

Sunday, Feb. 7
No. 7/5 Denver at No. 4 North Carolina | 11 a.m. | ESPNU
Robert Morris at No. 1 Duke | 4 p.m. | ACCN

Posted over at Fanlax - Duke released their depth chart for the Denver game, and crazy to see all that talent laid out. Looks like O'Neil is running on the second midfield, but it seems their middie lines are less 1 & 2 and more options "Blue" and "White", since he's paired with Montgomery. Surprising to see another freshmen on that line as well in Aiden Danenza. Attack is Sowers paired with Williams and Joe Robertson. Manown and Walsh were pretty big contributors to the Devils and they are on the third line. Phil Robertson listed as man-up, though have to imagine they will rotate more than three guys at attack.

Posted over at Fanlax - Duke released their depth chart for the Denver game, and crazy to see all that talent laid out. Looks like O'Neil is running on the second midfield, but it seems their middie lines are less 1 & 2 and more options "Blue" and "White", since he's paired with Montgomery. Surprising to see another freshmen on that line as well in Aiden Danenza. Attack is Sowers paired with Williams and Joe Robertson. Manown and Walsh were pretty big contributors to the Devils and they are on the third line. Phil Robertson listed as man-up, though have to imagine they will rotate more than three guys at attack.

Ya I would definitely assume they will rotate more then 3 people at attack. Not suprised O'Neil is playing mid, with Williams already there, there was really only room for one more guy and O'Neil would have had to surpass a half dozen guys most with years of experience which wasn't gonna happen at least not with the reduced off season due to COVID.

Danowski is likely to try and ride the hot hands as best he can. Montgomery is an up an down guy and his lack of consistency has hurt Duke before so they can now rotate him out when hes off. Manown and Walsh and Quigley should have transferred, PT for them is likely to be little to none as Danowski save for last year doesn't' usually play a ton of guys. You have to wonder how this is gonna work out if some of the upper class men aren't getting the minutes they thought they were gonna get. Possible someone like Manown could see time at attack as hes played a bunch there but again is Danowksi really gonna sub all that much at the attack spot?

Last edited:
As someone over at Fan Lax pointed out, Duke's offensive depth is such that JP Basile and Jadon Kerry aren't even on the 2 Deep. Yikes. As I noted last summer, there has to be a mass or at least a minor exodus out of there at some point.

Ya I would definitely assume they will rotate more then 3 people at attack. Not suprised O'Neil is playing mid, with Williams already there, there was really only room for one more guy and O'Neil would have had to surpass a half dozen guys most with years of experience which wasn't gonna happen at least not with the reduced off season due to COVID.

Danowski is likely to try and ride the hot hands as best he can. Montgomery is an up an down guy and his lack of consistency has hurt Duke before so they can now rotate him out when hes off. Manown and Walsh and Quigley should have transferred, PT for them is likely to be little to none as Danowski save for last year doesn't' usually play a ton of guys. You have to wonder how this is gonna work out if some of the upper class men aren't getting the minutes they thought they were gonna get. Possible someone like Manown could see time at attack as hes played a bunch there but again is Danowksi really gonna sub all that much at the attack spot?
It's funny when you see it laid out like this it seems a little less intimidating, but that could be a slight hiding of the impact O'Neill will be expected to have. I am sure he will be playing major minutes and perhaps be in at the end of games. I guess it would scare me more if they had him in at attack with Williams and Sowers since Robertson just doesn't intimidate me.

Also of note, Garett Leadmon, an extremely athletic and talented middie who burned us more than any player in 2019, is now an SSDM. Crazy!

I think we will miss Helmer in this matchup . I am scared of a couple of those big names at middie and we certainly can't afford to bring Kennedy up with Mr. Sowers down low. Someone with little game experience will be asked to shut down a stud or two. If things get out of hand maybe a strong guy with experience guarding middies like Grant Murphy can convert to LSM.

UVA released their depth chart and it looks like Cormier will be at attack and Bertrand at middie. Wonder if this is how they got Cormier to pull out of Transfer Portal? Shellenberger listed on first mid line. Also Dox Aitkin and Cade Sausted not listed, wonder if they are hurt.

Bertrand at middie, huh not sure that's gonna work out. He's more of a pure attack guy, can't see that working out at this level.

Bertrand at middie, huh not sure that's gonna work out. He's more of a pure attack guy, can't see that working out at this level.
He does work guys from up top a good deal in his highlight vid, alone with an impressive outside shot. Also in this day and age of inverts and minimal transition he will have plenty of time to act like an attack. Don't think it will be an issue. This is a scary highlight tape in general.

He does work guys from up top a good deal in his highlight vid, alone with an impressive outside shot. Also in this day and age of inverts and minimal transition he will have plenty of time to act like an attack. Don't think it will be an issue. This is a scary highlight tape in general.

No doubt he's a good player but its one thing to do it against Lemoyne a whole other against elite short stick guys like Dearth and the LSM's in the ACC. Takes a certain type of player who can play attack or middie at the high end of D1, there usually few and far between.

No doubt he's a good player but its one thing to do it against Lemoyne a whole other against elite short stick guys like Dearth and the LSM's in the ACC. Takes a certain type of player who can play attack or middie at the high end of D1, there usually few and far between.
He did put up numbers against some mediocre D1 teams in 2020. 4-1 against Michigan, 6-0 against Dartmouth, 3-3 against Fairfield, etc. Think that is enough of an indicator that it will take more than your backup shorty or lsm to guarantee a stop. And with Aitken Moore and Cormier drawing a good deal of attention already he could be dangerous.

He did put up numbers against some mediocre D1 teams in 2020. 4-1 against Michigan, 6-0 against Dartmouth, 3-3 against Fairfield, etc. Think that is enough of an indicator that it will take more than your backup shorty or lsm to guarantee a stop. And with Aitken Moore and Cormier drawing a good deal of attention already he could be dangerous.

Correct but that was at attack in an offense built around him. Now he's gotta play off ball up top and assumingly some defense if he gets caught on the field. Whole different world.

IDK, if Bertrand grew up playing in Indiana I might have my reservations but he grew playing in Section3 at BVille. Spent his whole life cutting his teeth against the best players in the country and played club ball with Team United which is Carcaterra's brother's program. 3 time All-American and 6-3 220? Biggest kid on the field. He was 18-5 though 6 games in his first D1 season with scouting reports aimed at stopping him.

I think he's going to be very good in the 6/6 settled offense and I wouldn't get to caught up in positions. He'll be all over the half court set.

Last edited:
Welp. ONeil is going to be good. His size is ridiculous.

pretty sure he was a middle growing up, at least that’s what I remember

LSM's Sparrow of Denver and Duke's Carpenter better learn to use their bodies instead of just their sticks. Sheety D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom