LAX Action for Feb 5-7 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

LAX Action for Feb 5-7

Denver didn't capitalize on their opportunities. Should have been up 6 or 7 goals easily. To many shots with bad location on Upgren.

Duke making a run. Uppgren had a big save on Hannah and the Blue Devils score the other end and it’s a two goal game. Denver allowing Sowers to sit behind the goal and pick people out which doesn’t seem smart. They have had some bad turnovers this half too. Would give the ball to Morrill more.

Duke making a run. Uppgren had a big save on Hannah and the Blue Devils score the other end and it’s a two goal game. Denver allowing Sowers to sit behind the goal and pick people out which doesn’t seem smart. They have had some bad turnovers this half too. Would give the ball to Morrill more.
Shooting for denver looking terrible. Telegraphing like crazy. Should be up by 5.

Denvers shot placement has not been good, telegraphing like crazy and taking bad shot. 2 men up they take an off angle shot with little room for error.

Denvers shot placement has not been good, telegraphing like crazy and taking bad shot. 2 men up they take an off angle shot with little room for error.

Yes, absolutely. Hannah has a number of looks from the righty wing and keeps missing. 33 was about as wide open as you can get with time and room and completely missed the cage. Strange to see a Denver team struggle this much to shoot.

Yes, absolutely. Hannah has a number of looks from the righty wing and keeps missing. 33 was about as wide open as you can get with time and room and completely missed the cage. Strange to see a Denver team struggle this much to shoot.

Yup, outside of Walkers laser late in the third that shooting was abysmal. They seemed to rush a few shots when they didn't have to and then had some awful placement on a few wide open looks. Hannah in particular has really struggled. Denver is going to get zoned a lot this year this year with there shooting woes. Dukes D has stepped up a bit as well, there SSDM look a lot better.

Hannah again with another horrible shot.

Caupto is gonna be a problem for a lot of teams. Gonna have to long pole him and short Montgomery.

Denvers man up unit reminds me of SU's like 5 or 6 years ago when we had a great offense but a horrific man up unit. They look lost out there. Ball is moving WAY to slow.

Caupto is gonna be a problem for a lot of teams. Gonna have to long pole him and short Montgomery.

Yeah, crazy to say but Sowers hasn’t even looked that great, outside of Denver letting him direct traffic at x.

Denver just falling apart here. They look tired which doesn’t bode well for playing UNC on Sunday.

Yeah, crazy to say but Sowers hasn’t even looked that great, outside of Denver letting him direct traffic at x.

Denver just falling apart here. They look tired which doesn’t bode well for playing UNC on Sunday.

Agreed, they don't look like the same team from the 1st quarter. That offense fell off the map.

Agreed, they look slow compared to Duke. Really struggled to dodge outside of Walker.

I think Hannah is their main dodging threat but he was out of sorts today. Had two big turnovers at the end of the game and a bunch of missed shots.

12-10 Duke is final. Down 1, Denver got stuffed at the doorstep and Duke went down and scored. Scary to think how bad Duke played and still won. Their potential is real high but they have issues (face off and defense was real rough).

Will be interesting to see how Duke goalie situation plays out over the course of the season. Very shaky start for Adler. Different pressure level than what he faced at St. Joe's.

I don't think Duke is as deep at midfield as media was portraying them. Caputo and Montgomery can dodge, but Montgomery is inconsistent. He disappears for long stretches of the game. Also, Duke's EMO did not have Sowers playing from behind the goal which is mind boggling. It will be very interesting going forward to see how he is used in the offense. If they initiate with the midfield they will be wasting his talents and doing a huge favor for the rest of the ACC.

So, a typical February Duke team that always gets much better as they go ...but...I think this year looks a little different and Duke has more work to do than usual. They are far from a slam dunk.

Duke did not play well today, they were ok. Denver fell apart in the second half.

From what I saw, Duke could have big trouble in three critical spots - The dot, their D poles (other than Harris) and goalie -- Upgren had a day, but is historically up and down and Adler saw what real D1 lacrosse looks like ,,,,both a big question mark...

If we are clicking, I think the balance of our squad far outweighs their high octane attack...can't win if you don't have the ball ..and can't stop the ball ..

Dino always finds a way to get the most from his guys, but I think all of the Duke attack hype has overlooked and overshadowed the need for strength and balance up and down the field ...

we will see,...

Last edited:
I know it was one game, but my biggest takeaway is this offense isn't a great fit for Sowers. He's the best player in the game two years running and the offense seems to limit the ceiling of his skillset.

I know it was one game, but my biggest takeaway is this offense isn't a great fit for Sowers. He's the best player in the game two years running and the offense seems to limit the ceiling of his skillset.
Agreed. The offensive sets appeared to limit the amount of times Sowers had the ball and he still had 3 assists. I would have had him feeding O'Neil and Dyson Williams all game long and then look for the middies for step down opportunities. It will be interesting to watch going forward.

UVA released their depth chart and it looks like Cormier will be at attack and Bertrand at middie. Wonder if this is how they got Cormier to pull out of Transfer Portal? Shellenberger listed on first mid line. Also Dox Aitkin and Cade Sausted not listed, wonder if they are hurt.

It could just be that Aitken is getting back up to snuff for lacrosse.
In a ZOOM with MLax alums, Tiffany said that Aitken and Saustad could play but they're working back into full lacrosse shape. Aitken transitioning from football and Saustad from his injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom