Class of 2016 - LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass

Really sounds like people have a problem with having a couple kids on the roster from NY. they rather have Jon Burton, Alryk Perry, Jamar Mcgloster, Taylor Hindy, PJ Batten, Tyler Provo instead. That's sad

Totally agree. The guys above were recruits that were huge reaches. I agree we would have been far better off trying to build up rapport with local programs. Give me guys like Mack, Riggins, Bah, etc any day over some of those reaches. Plus NYS prospects are always a bit more raw. A lot of those guys were from football hot beds. You never know what you could get from a northeastern kid once he fully develops.

money3189 said:
Really sounds like people have a problem with having a couple kids on the roster from NY. they rather have Jon Burton, Alryk Perry, Jamar Mcgloster, Taylor Hindy, PJ Batten, Tyler Provo instead. That's sad

Hmmm...I kinda think the opposite. I think the fans here want kids from NY but have kinda gotten used to only being able to get the second tier NY kid.

Odd dynamic.

Hmmm...I kinda think the opposite. I think the fans here want kids from NY but have kinda gotten used to only being able to get the second tier NY kid.

Odd dynamic.
your right and that needs to be corrected

At the end of the day...as I think everyone has said, winning cures all. JB walks into a gym in Rochester and it's like the pope is visiting.
Just win baby!!!

what time? what are you talking about? I dont get what worth is to you
Mac's first big recruit who turned the program around was a local guy Tim Green, which led to better recruits. Have to get the first one who wants to stay home, and be the one to start a new great age.

Odd dynamic.
You get the second tier kid when your first order of business is to cold shoulder a decent prospect from one of the top programs in the state.

Maybe they're spot on about Riggins, maybe they're not. But don't open up your tenure by talking about how important it is to recruit locally if it's not that important. Sometimes you take one lesser kid, whether he really ends up lesser or not, in order to build a relationship with a program.

Down the road, having one of their kids on the roster, having trust with that coaching staff, it all only helps when you go after your top tier kid in their program.

Everybody wants they top tier kid, and he should be served up on a platter because we're local. Just doesn't work that way anymore.

When you're a big winner, you don't need to dedicate as much time because people want to be a part of your program regardless. Just like you said about JB.

Mac's first big recruit who turned the program around was a local guy Tim Green, which led to better recruits. Have to get the first one who wants to stay home, and be the one to start a new great age.
I still remember that day. Everyone was so excited that he picked SU over PSU. It was the start of the turnaround.

People act like its a bad thing to see a local guy do well and represent their state. People seem to invest more knowing that a kid from their area (they might know personally) is on the team. I lived next door to John Wallace when I was young. I supported SU basketball like no other when he was playing there. I became a bigger SU fan because of him and guys like Roland, Tony Scott, David Walker

You get the second tier kid when your first order of business is to cold shoulder a decent prospect from one of the top programs in the state.

Maybe they're spot on about Riggins, maybe they're not. But don't open up your tenure by talking about how important it is to recruit locally if it's not that important. Sometimes you take one lesser kid, whether he really ends up lesser or not, in order to build a relationship with a program.

Down the road, having one of their kids on the roster, having trust with that coaching staff, it all only helps when you go after your top tier kid in their program.
There's not enough coaches in the forum to understand this Fin. These guys act like Im talking japanese.

People act like its a bad thing to see a local guy do well and represent their state. People seem to invest more knowing that a kid from their area (they might know personally) is on the team. I lived next door to John Wallace when I was young. I supported SU basketball like know other when he was playing there. I became a bigger SU fan because of him and guys like Roland, Tony Scott, David Walker
If JB didn't get Rosie his career might have been entirely different, then it is today. Mike Hart told the guy on 9 that had P had a 6 year extension, he would have come here, but he didn't want to play for someone who didn't recruit him.

At the end of the day...as I think everyone has said, winning cures all. JB walks into a gym in Rochester and it's like the pope is visiting.
He is the Pope.

There's not enough coaches in the forum to understand this Fin. These guys act like Im talking japanese.
Coach Rotch loved you by the way, you left an impression on him. He enjoyed the visit, thank you man

Coach Rotch loved you by the way, you left an impression on him. He enjoyed the visit, thank you man
I would send a kid to your school anytime. You guys are good people that will take care of our boys.

Aint that the truth. My mother drove Tim's school bus as a kid and my big brother played HS ball with him at Liverpool. He came back when I was a senior in HS to be inducted into the HOF during his off day for the Falcons- you want to talk about the Pope coming home the place was electric when he walked on stage.

While you aren't wrong, this assumes the kid is potentially okay with riding the pine for four years if it doesn't work out for him. It is hard to find kids willing to sit on the bench and be gracious towards the staff upon a transfer out (only one I can recall is Colton Moskal).

If the kid doesn't have a chance to play, he has to really, really love the school or it has the potential to be a problem.

Building relationships is extremely important. I don't think you do it by taking kids you view as marginal. I think you do it by going to high schools, showing an actual interest in the coaches' lives there and building a relationship. Doing things like holding clinics at their school, sending them Christmas presents and actually showing them you care and develop a friendship through little things. Most important thing is to remember details of their lives. Can't tell you how many times just remembering their wife's name or an event we talked about before makes them feel involved and that I do actually care.

I really do think the worst thing you can do is take a kid from a powerhouse school that you don't evaluate as a contributor for you. I would never recruit a kid because of his high school, I would recruit him because he can play.

While you aren't wrong, this assumes the kid is potentially okay with riding the pine for four years if it doesn't work out for him. It is hard to find kids willing to sit on the bench and be gracious towards the staff upon a transfer out (only one I can recall is Colton Moskal).

If the kid doesn't have a chance to play, he has to really, really love the school or it has the potential to be a problem.

Building relationships is extremely important. I don't think you do it by taking kids you view as marginal. I think you do it by going to high schools, showing an actual interest in the coaches' lives there and building a relationship. Doing things like holding clinics at their school, sending them Christmas presents and actually showing them you care and develop a friendship through little things. Most important thing is to remember details of their lives. Can't tell you how many times just remembering their wife's name or an event we talked about before makes them feel involved and that I do actually care.

I really do think the worst thing you can do is take a kid from a powerhouse school that you don't evaluate as a contributor for you. I would never recruit a kid because of his high school, I would recruit him because he can play.
I understand your point, but, the kid's destiny is in his own hands. If you don't want to ride the pine, do something about it.

And, you're 100% right about relationships, business/sales background?

I understand your point, but, the kid's destiny is in his own hands. If you don't want to ride the pine, do something about it.

And, you're 100% right about relationships, business/sales background?

Sometimes there are limitations to how much you can get better, no matter the work you put in. Some of the hardest workers on our baseball team will never ever sniff the field. We just hope they stay happy and keep pushing guys.

Baseball. Currently a college graduate assistant who has a lot of power over recruiting given my prior background (and thus, lots of talking with HS coaches to get the lowdown on their kids). Joys of coaching at a NAIA school.

Everybody wants they top tier kid, and he should be served up on a platter because we're local. Just doesn't work that way anymore.

When you're a big winner, you don't need to dedicate as much time because people want to be a part of your program regardless. Just like you said about JB.

I understand what you and Money are saying - building relationships by taking chances on less heralded decent players earns trust.

But I'd wager Tristan's net worth on this:

Barbers could take fliers on two borderline AQ recruits each year for the next 3 years and SU would still not sniff the big time players they produce.

AQ has a reputation to maintain regarding their program. They have more incentive to push their players to national powers (ND, PSU) than help rebuilding SU.

There's no cache to recruiting local middle school prospects in Rochester telling kids, "Come to Aquinas, our top kids went to SU!"

one of the barriers to SU coaches investing time with NY high schools is, like it or not NY is talent thin. SU just offered 5 players in one class in one Florida High School. NYS's lack of emphasis on football and the unique issues of NYC means that a given NY high school may have a player maybe a couple of players. That player maybe as good as anybody in the country. A player that has also been identified by the glamour schools. A Utica kid that goes to OSU. How many other big time prospects have come from that school? Is it worth the time to court that coach for the occasional solid potential SU prospect or court coaches of schools that have a half a dozen or more D1 prospects every year, one or two who might be real solid SU prospects every year?

I think SU has to invest a priority of time in talent rich areas that place a greater emphasis on Friday night lights.

I know this comment is naive and not based on the "reality" of how recruiting works. But, what gets me salty is how one sided it seems from the college to the high schools, why isn't it more of a two way street? A school like ND, PSU or OSU can just waltz in and grab the big names, while SU has to toil for years "building relationships" to only end up getting mid-tier kids anyway? I know winning makes all the difference, but looking for SU to bring uplift to NYS high school football, why not NYS high schools look after the state's one prominent P5 team and send the players there? Especially when the program is struggling? I see no loyalty in that model... It bothers me.

I think there might be another point that is being over looked here and it is building a fan base. When you recruit local kids, develop relationships with HS coaches and their players you are also developing fans for the program. So what is the harm in taking one kid in one class. In taking the chance at opening the flood gates to a school that has lots of talent...in your own backyard where you need to increase your fanbase. Just because it hasn't worked that way in the past doesn't mean things can't or won't be different in the future. Some of you would never survive in sales.

I think there might be another point that is being over looked here and it is building a fan base. When you recruit local kids, develop relationships with HS coaches and their players you are also developing fans for the program. So what is the harm in taking one kid in one class. In taking the chance at opening the flood gates to a school that has lots of talent...in your own backyard where you need to increase your fanbase. Just because it hasn't worked that way in the past doesn't mean things can't or won't be different in the future. Some of you would never survive in sales.

There is no harm in taking one kid in a class but winning builds a fanbase better and faster, we should take the best kids we can find no matter where they come from. If they come from out of state and help us win, great. If they come from NYS, then all the better but I wouldn't go out of my way. If 2 kids come out evaluated by the coaching staff at an even eval, then you take the NYS kid if at all possible.

There is no harm in taking one kid in a class but winning builds a fanbase better and faster, we should take the best kids we can find no matter where they come from. If they come from out of state and help us win, great. If they come from NYS, then all the better but I wouldn't go out of my way. If 2 kids come out evaluated by the coaching staff at an even eval, then you take the NYS kid if at all possible.
It's not going out of your way. It's taking one kid from a school that is known to produce talent. It is taking a kid from your own backyard where his coaches, team mates, friends, family all reside...fans. The majority of the SU alums don't stay in NY State. If you don't develop relationships within NY just because SU is winning that doesn't necessarily translate to growing fans. They could go be fans of Buffalo instead...they recruit NY.

Whats worse is riding the pine when your a player from out of state. Atleast the instate kid has family and support near by that encourages him to stick with it. Family that still come to the games so their son can see their faces in the stands. I think you will be amazed how much sacrifices are made on rosters. Im talking about powerhouse schools. You have to take a kid that can play and will contribute after coaching them up. I dont think anyone is saying take a bum.