Lebron is a | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Lebron is a

A lot of teams do this..but it doesn't get any attention. When Jason Kidd came to the Nets, he said he was looking forward to not 1 but multiple championships at the season open party at the Meadowlands. No one cared... because no one cares about Jason Kidd. People say stuff like this to fans...

ummm, the celebration they had in miami was far from just a proclamation, it was an all out party greater than most teams championship parades are, not just someone saying they want to win multiple titles.

I'm not killing him for not winning yet, I'm killing him for his arrogance and then inability to rise to the occasion when it matters.

A lot of teams do this..but it doesn't get any attention. When Jason Kidd came to the Nets, he said he was looking forward to not 1 but multiple championships at the season open party at the Meadowlands. No one cared... because no one cares about Jason Kidd. People say stuff like this to fans...

and "The Decision"... come on what other free agent in any sport has made a spectacle like that?

It's a tough spot for the team, especially with Lebron or Dwight Howard (who I believe wanted the Bass for Baby Davis trade; great idea, huh?) who is a FA soon. You want to keep them happy, but just because they are great players doesn't mean they should be making moves. I think they probably need to realize that these guys want to win, and its more important to put a good team on the floor than to get their buddies on the team or to listen to them for player moves.

Have you read about the NJ Nets? Basically Deron Williams has a space in the GM's office. It's really crazy.

and "The Decision"... come on what other free agent in any sport has made a spectacle like that?
I can't hate him for that he raisied tons of money for the Boys and Girls clubs it was a solid move IMO he should have told the Cavs first but it is over and done with

Is a beast
Despite playing in only 60 playoff games in four years (soon to be five), LeBron James has already etched out quite a postseason resume.
He's notched four triple-doubles, topped 30 points on 30 different occasions (and 40-plus points eight times), and led the Cavaliers to their first-ever NBA Finals appearance in 2007.
For his career, he's averaging 29.4 points, 8.3 rebounds, 7.3 assists, and 1.6 steals in the playoffs—not too shabby, I suppose.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/370678-lebron-james-top-10-playoff-plays-and-performances#/articles/370678-lebron-james-top-10-playoff-plays-and-performances/page/2

No one is saying he isn't an elite player. He clearly is. His abilities are amazing. However, you need to win. He has no excuse not winning in Miami. Maybe he gets some rings, maybe he doesn't. But until he does, he will hit a ceiling that can't be broken until he wins (and, imo, has to be the alpha dog doing so - winning Finals MVP).

I'll also say this, anyone who truly enjoys basketball, should really enjoy watching this guy play. It's amazing. His athleticism, his passing ability, his freakish size and strength -- all are amazing. But he isn't clutch on the biggest stage and it's something that he will have to break to be considered the very best of the best.

I can't hate him for that he raisied tons of money for the Boys and Girls clubs it was a solid move IMO he should have told the Cavs first but it is over and done with

He could have raised tons of money anyway doing something else. He didn't need to use his decision to go to Miami as the vehicle for fundraising and an awareness driver. Especially not in Greenwich, CT of all places.

Not saying that it isn't a great thing to do, but it's silly to marry the two as it was constructed.

For someone that wants to have a global brand, that was a pretty big mistake. Now, it's not big enough to do any real financial damage, but it definitely doesn't set the tone that I'm sure he was looking for.

Have you read about the NJ Nets? Basically Deron Williams has a space in the GM's office. It's really crazy.

And really, when you think about it, Williams coming back to the Nets hinges on one thing; if the Nets get Howard, h e stays, if they don't, he leaves. (I may have simplified it, but only barely).

he could have just donated out of pocket instead, or done any other of different things to raise the money, he just used the situation to draw attention to himself and it backfired in every imaginable way.

It's interesting how LeBron is held to such a higher standard than almost every other athlete out there. I think what people are saying now will be quite different than what people are saying about him 15 years from now when his career is over. To say it doesn't matter that he led a Cleveland team that had no supporting cast to the finals or single handedly brought the east back makes no sense. Basketball in the NBA is a 48 minute game, not a 90 second one. First it was he can't do anything in the 4th quarter, then when he does that its but he passed the ball late even though he was one of about 4 players in that game who made plays that couldve cost their team the game.

To make it sound like no other great player has ever failed is just laughable. They conveniently skip over Kobe quitting in the Phoenix series, the finals twice in the last game against Detroit and Boston, and last year when his team fell apart in Dallas and got swept he was no where to be found. People will say LeBron quit in the Boston series 2 years ago, he had a triple double in game 6, something like 27,19,10, but "he quit". Kobe shoots 6-24 in game 7 against Boston but because Gasol gets like 20, 20 that makes Kobe a winner? Magic was labeled a choker in 1984 like someone mentioned, he bounced back won some rings and all is forgotten.

Someone mentioned Jordan didn't win until he was 27, exactly. It's very premature to judge people before their career is finished. Dirk was labeled a choke artist and disappearing act after losing in the finals and as a 1 seed losing in the first round to golden state, he wins a title now people last year were saying he was one of the greatest ever.

There is no defense for his finals performance last year tho. That was honestly one of the most mind boggling things I've ever seen.

he could have just donated out of pocket instead, or done any other of different things to raise the money, he just used the situation to draw attention to himself and it backfired in every imaginable way.

lol LeBron apparently can't even raise money for charity right. Unbelievable

It's interesting how LeBron is held to such a higher standard than almost every other athlete out there. I think what people are saying now will be quite different than what people are saying about him 15 years from now when his career is over. To say it doesn't matter that he led a Cleveland team that had no supporting cast to the finals or single handedly brought the east back makes no sense. Basketball in the NBA is a 48 minute game, not a 90 second one. First it was he can't do anything in the 4th quarter, then when he does that its but he passed the ball late even though he was one of about 4 players in that game who made plays that couldve cost their team the game.

To make it sound like no other great player has ever failed is just laughable. They conveniently skip over Kobe quitting in the Phoenix series, the finals twice in the last game against Detroit and Boston, and last year when his team fell apart in Dallas and got swept he was no where to be found. People will say LeBron quit in the Boston series 2 years ago, he had a triple double in game 6, something like 27,19,10, but "he quit". Kobe shoots 6-24 in game 7 against Boston but because Gasol gets like 20, 20 that makes Kobe a winner? Magic was labeled a choker in 1984 like someone mentioned, he bounced back won some rings and all is forgotten.

Someone mentioned Jordan didn't win until he was 27, exactly. It's very premature to judge people before their career is finished. Dirk was labeled a choke artist and disappearing act after losing in the finals and as a 1 seed losing in the first round to golden state, he wins a title now people last year were saying he was one of the greatest ever.

There is no defense for his finals performance last year tho. That was honestly one of the most mind boggling things I've ever seen.

None of those guys came out of high school calling themselves The King or Chosen One.

Man, you nailed it. It's the ESPN/internet culture. We build you up to nitpick your greatness and bring you down. Can you imagine if Lebron had done some of the things Kobe has done off the court? You would think Lebron's decision show was worse than raping a woman in a hotel room. Its all you would hear about. NBA basketball has basically become Golf...people only tune in for Lebron (Speaking about general fans, not fans of particular teams).

This is Lebrons 9th season he is now 27, its put up or shut up time.

Jordan won in his 6th, 7th, 8th then took a year to play baseball, came back didnt win , then won his 10th 11th and 12th years in the league, for what its worth.

It's not about a bad game or disappearing in crunch time a few times, or giving up with fatigue because you're supporting cast isn't phenomenal.

it's about the lack of doing it when it matters most, he has had two finals appearances and both of them when it came down to the end he was nowhere to be found. Jordan played in 6 finals and won them all, won MVP in them all.

It's the mental makeup, Lebron would rather be a facilitator than a killer and he may be one of the all time greats, but he is not in top 5 discussion because of that

None of those guys came out of high school calling themselves The King or Chosen One.

Yup. Again, not the brightest idea for someone looking to be a global brand.

I'm not saying he can't or won't win titles, but he just isn't the alpha male "give me the ball we are going to win" type of player that

a) the media tries to make him need to be

and

b) that he pretends to be

Its a pretty good sign when people have to jump right to Jordan when Lebron is discussed. "Well, he's no Jordan!!!!"

I'm not saying he can't or won't win titles, but he just isn't the alpha male "give me the ball we are going to win" type of player that

a) the media tries to make him need to be

and

b) that he pretends to be

Its a pretty good sign when people have to jump right to Jordan when Lebron is discussed. "Well, he's no Jordan!!!!"

That is because Lebron fans want to call him the greatest ever. If they backed off some of this nonsense most of us would not take issue with it.

I know there's alot so its hard to read but do you ever see what half of the players in the NBA have as tattoo's? If were going to dislike players because of cockiness or arrogance there may not be any left.

Also my only (and admittedly weak) retort, Magic Johnson. His real names Ervin, but ran with the nickname given to him.

it's about the lack of doing it when it matters most, he has had two finals appearances and both of them when it came down to the end he was nowhere to be found. Jordan played in 6 finals and won them all, won MVP in them all.

Is that true about the 07 series? It wasn't much of a series anyway, they got swept with a greatly undermanned team.

It's the mental makeup, Lebron would rather be a facilitator than a killer and he may be one of the all time greats, but he is not in top 5 discussion because of that

I will agree and disagree. First, as I have said, last year's finals was very puzzling, and he has to take a hit for it. To me, it isn't just because he didn't shoot a lot, its because he didn't facilitate either. Magic and Russell are (rightfully) considered 2 of the best players ever; Magic was probably the ultimate facilitator and Russell wasn't a guy making lots of buckets down the stretch. If Lebron had been controlling the game down the stretch of the finals last year, shooting some but also setting up his teammates for open looks, I would say there is nothing wrong with that. (In fact, that's how you're supposed to play basketball. Hit the open man,s hoot when you're open, etc. Jordan hit Paxson to win the 93 finals and Kerr to win the 97 finals). But Lebron was absolutely playing hot potato with the ball in the finals last year. He doesn't need to shoot every time (and he shouldn't; the guy is an incredible passer, he's selling his team short if he doesn't take advantage of that) but he should be the guy making all the big plays down the stretch of games for his team. Which he did in the series before, which makes it all the more puzzling.

I know there's alot so its hard to read but do you ever see what half of the players in the NBA have as tattoo's? If were going to dislike players because of cockiness or arrogance there may not be any left.

Also my only (and admittedly weak) retort, Magic Johnson. His real names Ervin, but ran with the nickname given to him.

There is a difference between a nickname given to you by a someone else and one given to yourself.

There is a difference between a nickname given to you by a someone else and one given to yourself.

LeBron told Sports Illustrated to put him on the cover with the headline "The Chosen One" as a 17 year old kid?

Magic was given the name by a sportswriter in HS. With that said, he then won a college national title and in his rookie year won an NBA title and was the Finals MVP. He played both guard AND center in game 6 of the Finals and went 42 pts, 15 boards, 7 assists and 3 steals. He earned the right to keep that nickname.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom