Lester on his Offense | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Lester on his Offense

Boring is this thread with all my posts deleted.

What happened?? Ignorant people without reading comprehension skills start hurling personal insults again??

There are times when your posts can make me laugh harder than any others. I used to think you were a curmudgeon, I've grown to see much more than that.

There are times when your posts can make me laugh harder than any others. I used to think you were a curmudgeon, I've grown to see much more than that.

Hey, that happened to me too.

Oh boy.

Let's hope he does a better job at this than Pariani did.
I respect you but this comment makes me want to puke.

Stick to coming up with juvenile nick names for players and coaches. It's far less controversial.
Seeing as how the majority of your posts are responses to mine that include an insult, I would say I'm not the one that needs to step up their game.

We're overreacting. It's going to come down to talent and execution.
Offensive style matters you don't put a round peg in a square hole. In 2013 McF*ckit wanted to run a spread offense and didn't realize till midseason that power run was the way to go. If he didn't change course we don't win 7 games.
In 2004 we had a decent offense and then in 2005 we only lost Walter Reyes and our offense was absolutely pathetic. Why? Pariani wanted to run the Denver Broncos offense when we didn't have the personnel to do so.
Our talent is decent its not bare.

Alsacs said:
Offensive style matters you don't put a round peg in a square hole. In 2013 McF*ckit wanted to run a spread offense and didn't realize till midseason that power run was the way to go. If he didn't change course we don't win 7 games. In 2004 we had a decent offense and then in 2005 we only lost Walter Reyes and our offense was absolutely pathetic. Why? Pariani wanted to run the Denver Broncos offense when we didn't have the personnel to do so. Our talent is decent its not bare.

Style does matter, but it's still going to come down to talent and execution.

We have average talent.

Hopefully they can play above that.

BORING

I you execute and avoid mistakes you keep the ball. Keep the ball and you score. That's not boring. And it would be an improvement over last year.

It's great that H-backs like Erv and Broyld will get carries, but um why is Ben Lewis at that position if running the ball is going to be part of it? Or is he the H-back who doesn't run, which will totally fool defenses? Nothing against the kid, but if SU runs a jet sweep with Lewis, this place is going to explode.

SWC75 said:
I you execute and avoid mistakes you keep the ball. Keep the ball and you score. That's not boring. And it would be an improvement over last year.
You have to move the ball, not just keep it. To move the ball, you can't be too scared of mistakes

Millhouse said:
You have to move the ball, not just keep it. To move the ball, you can't be too scared of mistakes

Fine line for sure. Being reckless with the ball puts you in bad positions too.

I will take boring and winning all day long.

Execution is really the only thing that matters and talent to a lesser degree. IF you execute and someone on the other side of the ball doesn't make a ridiculous play, you should be able to move the ball and score.

CuseOnly said:
I will take boring and winning all day long. Execution is really the only thing that matters and talent to a lesser degree. IF you execute and someone on the other side of the ball doesn't make a ridiculous play, you should be able to move the ball and score.

I'd say talent matters a lot more than you imply. Superior talent enables you the space to have less than perfect execution and still be successful.

This is also known as Syracuse basketball.

Scooch said:
I'd say talent matters a lot more than you imply. Superior talent enables you the space to have less than perfect execution and still be successful. This is also known as Syracuse basketball.

Yeah but in Shafer parlance "control the controllables" ... Once your freshman are in camp, those are the tools you have to work with. At that point it has to be about execution.

You work on the talent bit in recruiting. Which they have.

You can have all the x's and o's but as long as you have no o line no offense will move the ball. No blocking no offense. I use to like Ted Dailey's theory that it's like baking a cake. "The OL is the cake, skill players are the icing and Ernie Davis is the candy sprinkles on top! If your cake don't rise doesnt matter what icing and candy you got!" For those of you youngins Ted was OC in the 50s and early60s.

"I'd say talent matters a lot more than you imply. Superior talent enables you the space to have less than perfect execution and still be successful. This is also known as Syracuse basketball."

Michigan. Less than perfect execution; superior talent. They sucked.

Kansas State. Perfect execution; marginal talent. Final ranking of 11th. They didn't suck.

I'd say talent matters a lot more than you imply. Superior talent enables you the space to have less than perfect execution and still be successful.

This is also known as Syracuse basketball.

Post of the year. Would love to see the mayhem this generates on the hoops board.

I trust your analysis. I just don't see that type of system with Rich-Rod. I haven't seen Rich-Rod run the bootleg on play action with his QBs or stretch runs to his RBs.

I see Rich-Rod as a spread offense guy. With his QB always in shotgun and able to be mobile and dual threat. His RBs are usually one power guy and one speed guy. His WRs are usually speed guys. I don't see Kubiak's offense in Rich-Rod.

I know pro offenses a lot more than college though.

Don't have to be in a gun to run that system, which is exactly what RR does. Zone blocking and WCO. Shanahan/Kubiak running game was IMO a precursor to the zone read.

I think the issue is not zone blocking (DM was a zone blocking guy as are many CFB programs). It is having a system that is easy to learn so the kids can go out and just play and one that fits their skills.

Lester may be a lot smarter than I gave him credit for last year.

so far all we got is vaporware- no one has a clue if what were told exists -yet alone works

anyone who is basing this year being great because of what lester showed over 8 games last year- dont know football

rosconey said:
so far all we got is vaporware- no one has a clue if what were told exists -yet alone works anyone who is basing this year being great because of what lester showed over 8 games last year- dont know football

You're right in that we don't have any idea of what it will look like outside of 1 vanilla spring game and his words to the media.

But if you think for a second that what we saw at the end of last year will be the new offense I have a bridge to sell you. He said they started from scratch this offseason - a new install.

All i was able to discern from the interview is that Lester needs to come up with a more succinct way to describe his offense.

Explaining it to the media is really, really different than installing and teaching it.
EXACTLY.

giving the media simple answers as to what his offense is, is the easy the part.

installing and teaching it is the hard.

and he just failed the easy part.