Lester on his Offense | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Lester on his Offense

CuseOnly said:
I will take boring and winning all day long. Execution is really the only thing that matters and talent to a lesser degree. IF you execute and someone on the other side of the ball doesn't make a ridiculous play, you should be able to move the ball and score.
Not how college football works

Schemes and coach-speak are for amusement.
Need to develop Palmer into a respectable OT, McFarlane into a very good RB. Keep Hunt, Estime, Ishmael & Phillips healthy. Have the OL be physical enough to convert on 3rd and 2. Make some defenders miss; have some receivers beat a DB. Do most of that, the Lester offense will be OK.

"I'd say talent matters a lot more than you imply. Superior talent enables you the space to have less than perfect execution and still be successful. This is also known as Syracuse basketball."

Michigan. Less than perfect execution; superior talent. They sucked.

Kansas State. Perfect execution; marginal talent. Final ranking of 11th. They didn't suck.

You found outliers, hooray!

Baylor was the most penalized team in all of college football last year. Pretty horrible execution, no?

They had a pretty good year though.

KaiserUEO said:
EXACTLY. giving the media simple answers as to what his offense is, is the easy the part. installing and teaching it is the hard. and he just failed the easy part.

Dear lord no, sweet K.

Explaining how an offense works to media is harder:

- less time (5 minutes of air time vs every day practice, reps, film, etc)

- less knowledge (the media are generally not football players - so you're dumbing it down to bite sized chunks or referencing things they might know ie. Carroll's offense, etc)

- broader audience (presumably the public will be getting that same info at some point so it has to be digested by Joe Schmoe)

- avoiding cliches and sound bites (you guys would kill him if he just said "multiple" or "west coast" - I think Lester's the type of guy who is going to try to be honest about it. Trying to get away from straight coach speak)

In short being a good marketer of your offense to the media is far less important and is much harder than teaching/installing it internally.

I hope we see lots of bubble screens to Custis with Estime as the lead blocker. Those are my favorite. :rolleyes:

Scooch said:
You found outliers, hooray! Baylor was the most penalized team in all of college football last year. Pretty horrible execution, no? They had a pretty good year though.

You crazy Scooch. You know scheme is a part of execution right? Penalties are not a sign of execution per se.

You found outliers, hooray!

Baylor was the most penalized team in all of college football last year. Pretty horrible execution, no?

They had a pretty good year though.

If they actually played defense in the Big 12 it would have been a different story ... they lost to WVU for crying out loud .. how does that happen?

Kaiser you can't have a debate before anything happens with TheCusian. I have given up trying to have actual debates with the guy. He is the eternal optimist and the board does need some balance and he doesn't call names. If we suck this year he won't defend, but that side of the argument have to realize 99.9% of the critics don't want to be critics and want optimism but can be objective to say X has a chance to be better, but based on opinion I don't see it changing because of Y and Z.

Lester is better off not giving the interview than giving the answers he gave. I don't like comparing college offenses to NFL offenses when we most certainly have nothing to close to pro personnel across the board.

Alsacs said:
Kaiser you can't have a debate before anything happens with TheCusian. I have given up trying to have actual debates with the guy. He is the eternal optimist and the board does need some balance and he doesn't call names. If we suck this year he won't defend, but that side of the argument have to realize 99.9% of the critics don't want to be critics and want optimism but can be objective to say X has a chance to be better, but based on opinion I don't see it changing because of Y and Z. Lester is better off not giving the interview than giving the answers he gave. I don't like comparing college offenses to NFL offenses when we most certainly have nothing to close to pro personnel across the board.

Appreciate the take. I don't mind being the optimist. For the record I didn't love his answers - I just don't think his being able to describe them well on the radio is a fair way to judge his competency.

"You found outliers, hooray! Baylor was the most penalized team in all of college football last year. Pretty horrible execution, no? They had a pretty good year though."

Kansas State 2014: 9-4; 2013: 8-5; 2012: 11-2; 2011: 10-3; 2010: 7-6

Past five years, winning records, bowl games. Done with "marginal" talent.

Admit it, you're just a @!#$ whose monthly bill is perpetually due.

What is the story behind "gerg"?

I know who it is but why the spelling?

"You found outliers, hooray! Baylor was the most penalized team in all of college football last year. Pretty horrible execution, no? They had a pretty good year though."

Kansas State 2014: 9-4; 2013: 8-5; 2012: 11-2; 2011: 10-3; 2010: 7-6

Past five years, winning records, bowl games. Done with "marginal" talent.

Admit it, you're just a @!#$ whose monthly bill is perpetually due.

Still an outlier. Now what?

As long as we don't throw a toss to our largest running back 6 yards deep in the end zone against a top rushing defense, I'll consider the year a success, regardless of record.

Mizzou has marginal talent and has been great the last two years. Boise State is perpetual marginal talent and they win, even the big games. BYU seems to win enough without elite recruiting classes, we would kill to have their last 4 seasons. Georgia Tech doesn't exactly kill it on the recruiting circuit either ... lets not forget UCF ... or Duke ... Michigan State doesn't rake in top 10 recruiting classes (although their talent isn't truly marginal it isn't elite) and they win just fine.

The fact is you need a special player to make it work ... this season is all on Hunt ... period end of story. SU goes as he goes.

K-State isn't the only school. Look it up yourself.

Baylor has done well, for a while, with mostly 3* players. TCU is another that gets it done with mostly 3 stars. Ole Miss, for the longest time, was the butt of many jokes.

Any team can turn things around. Because, at the end of the day, football is flesh and blood, not stats.

Last edited:
If you're keeping the ball, you're moving it.

There were times we moved it well ... but scoring was a different story ... I've never seen such a helter skelter story in terms of how an offense was between the 20s and then what it looked like inside the 20s ... very bizarre.

Appreciate the take. I don't mind being the optimist. For the record I didn't love his answers - I just don't think his being able to describe them well on the radio is a fair way to judge his competency.
the thing is...hes the OC of a P5 school.

with all due respect, he needs to be able to tell the media what his offense is. he needs to have an 'Elevator Speech' ready to go.

it cant be that hard, hell...you have spent hours telling us that now that he can install HIS offense, we will see things. well, he cant even tell us in 20 words what HIS offense is.

he rambled on about being an offense base on:

- one from the late 70s-early 80s
- one from the mid to late 90s featuring imo the greatest QB of all time, an impressive run game and as our resident expert on the patsys pointed out...a cheating OL (not surprised you picked up on that ;))
- one from the late 00's that was largely unsuccessful
and finally one where the only thing we seem to know about it, is that it is based on having an all world D while giving the ball to the best RB in the league, except on the goal line where you have your short QB throw over the middle into traffic right to the waiting arms of a DB.

colour me unimpressed with that elevator speech.

how difficult is it to say???...'what i will be running will be nothing like you have seen at Syracuse. it will be a form of the west coast offense, but tailored to the college athlete and using the built in home field advantage we have here with the Dome'.

everyone should be happy enough with just hearing 'west coast offense' and if pressed on how it will work in college just say 'it can work because Dana Bible had great success with it for a couple of schools we all are familiar with...bc & ncst. he went to what? 12 bowl games in 14 years running it, often winning 8 or 9 games in the process. would you take that?'.

and then just shut up and not say a word more.

bcubs9497 said:
"You found outliers, hooray! Baylor was the most penalized team in all of college football last year. Pretty horrible execution, no? They had a pretty good year though." Kansas State 2014: 9-4; 2013: 8-5; 2012: 11-2; 2011: 10-3; 2010: 7-6 Past five years, winning records, bowl games. Done with "marginal" talent. Admit it, you're just a @!#$ whose monthly bill is perpetually due.

As mentioned earlier by others, this experiment isn't going to end well, especially if you keep trashing successful alumni who have given more time, energy and money to this program than you would know.

All because they refuse to see only positive in our current situation.

As mentioned earlier by others, this experiment isn't going to end well, especially if you keep trashing successful alumni who have given more time, energy and money to this program than you would know.

All because they refuse to see only positive in our current situation.

Sure you turn around and tell someone who has a son about to play for said program and explain to him commitment to the program ... got it. He is only sending his son there ... yep he's got nothing invested at all ...

Sure you turn around and tell someone who has a son about to play for said program and explain to him commitment to the program ... got it. He is only sending his son there ... yep he's got nothing invested at all ...

Completely missed the point. Well done.