Listening to press conference. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Listening to press conference.

Don't exaggerate the press conference. He was simply trying to put it in perspective. Have you guys seen the defense play this year? You can't be a terrible coach and have a very good defense. They can right this ship by replacing the OC. He clearly needs to go. To me it's all on Hunt and GMAC.

Don't exaggerate the press conference. He was simply trying to put it in perspective. Have you guys seen the defense play this year? You can't be a terrible coach and have a very good defense. They can right this ship by replacing the OC. He clearly needs to go. To me it's all on Hunt and GMAC.

The defense that got gashed by Villanova? That gave up a 90 yard TD to Maryland? 56 points to Georgia Tech? The defense that can't tackle with consistency? That defense?

I don't know, a non-competitive 2-3 record heading onto FSU and Death Valley screams bad coach to me, especially when two of those losses were pathetic showings against 2 teams in our peer group. Also, no one wants to hear a football coach put things in perspective deflecting heat in a press conference. You get paid millions of dollars to coach a sport that is ultra popular because people want to get away from all that real world bs. Shafer would be getting completely destroyed this morning if he was the coach of any big time football school for what he said in that press conference, sadly, we're clearly not big time football anymore. Were barely proving ourselves to be worthy of D-1.

Oh and good football coaches don't have teams that commit an average of 20 mental mistakes per game.

The defense that got gashed by Villanova? That gave up a 90 yard TD to Maryland? 56 points to Georgia Tech? The defense that can't tackle with consistency? That defense?

The kids certainly play with heart and effort, but all of those missed tackles were frustrating, again, a sign of discipline or lack thereof. The 'Ville has an excellent defense (ranked 3 in the country I believe, unless I heard that wrong last night) but their offense is questionable and they seemed to be able to move the ball when it really mattered. This, with a true freshman qb starting in only his 2nd game and a back that averaged only 50 yards/game coming in...not to mention their NFL first round wr is still out.

My thinking is that Shafer told the kids that to get their minds off of that game and then repeated it to the press. Wrong move and should have said something different to the press and fans.

Shafer... you have de-railed.

6867639.jpg

Enough talk about replacing the OC, This crap starts with the HC. He's in over his head and we can't wait four years for him to grow into the role. If we don't want to only be know as a BB school a change needs to happen.

People said Marrone was over hid head too, now he is an nfl HC

Need Gross to show he has a pair and as soon as the BC game is over announce Shafer has been fired.

If he's not making calls this weekend/week to see what interest is from real coaching candidates, we're in trouble.

IthacaBarrel said:
People said Marrone was over hid head too, now he is an nfl HC

Deja vu all over again.

People have short memories. Until Nassib, Lemon, Sales and Pugh in 2012, our offense the 3 prior seasons was as bad, and even worse in 2 of them, than this seasons. Scoring is the same as Marrones first 3 seasons while yardage is 50-100 ypg better.

Do people forget the 10-7 rock fights we would win because of defense?

Deja vu all over again.

People have short memories. Until Nassib, Lemon, Sales and Pugh in 2012, our offense the 3 prior seasons was as bad, and even worse in 2 of them, than this seasons. Scoring is the same as Marrones first 3 seasons while yardage is 50-100 ypg better.

The key is rock fights we "won". This offense couldn't put up 20+ on Hobart or Utica College right now.

Deja vu all over again.

It never ceases to amaze me how a lot of us glorify the past. Marrone was solid but I want more.

Yeah this isn't a great defense at all.

When we were in our midst of losing 5 yards from a shotgun handoff from the 1, then a reverse, then a double reverse pass drop, i actually started to think i was at a comedy, and those were our clown outfits. Then I realized this is happening in real life and got real sad for the rest of the game.
Damn...I had the same thought. I can't believe we made the fg. I was expecting a CLANG! after that...

AZOrange said:
Yeah this isn't a great defense at all.

The defense is good enough for today's offensive showcase that is college football.

We play in a Dome, we should have an offense that can put up an average of at least 30.

With this D, that will mean more wins than losses.

Chip said:
The defense is good enough for today's offensive showcase that is college football. We play in a Dome, we should have an offense that can put up an average of at least 30. With this D, that will mean more wins than losses.
I can't believe a bullough is the ok one on the staff.

We've become a program of gimmicks. The uniform clown show and the idea that playing top teams in NJ is somehow good for the program.
This is a great point. It's like a bunch of marketing people have taken over an athletic program without any idea how to put substance behind the much-treasured, all-important brand.

The defense is good enough for today's offensive showcase that is college football.

We play in a Dome, we should have an offense that can put up an average of at least 30.

With this D, that will mean more wins than losses.
Good enough...maybe.

Our defense is good against average to below average talent. Anyone with above average talent destroys us.

Louisville had talented running backs, we made them look like Jim Brown. Maryland had talented WRs, we gave up some huge plays. ND had one good WR and Golston, we couldn't stop them aside from turnovers. All they had to was throw a bubble screen for 7-15 yards every play.

Do I need to go back to last year? Do I need to foreshadow these next games against FSU and Clemson?

Wow. This post was mostly about his comments in the press conference. I think it derailed. Although the press conference covers many things I think it was about the ISIS comment.

I can't believe a bullough is the ok one on the staff.

Ah, to many nonsense on 3rd downs to. Rush there drop 8 all past the sticks and fail to stop the QB scramble before a first. Then brings all out blitzes that Louisville runs draws into.

Unsound on both ends. Why not play straight up instead of gimmicky. It's one thing to bring the house on 3rd and long, it's another to do it on medium distances, just make it to easy and obvious.

I have to believe that by now HCSS has realized this is a bad team. He has an o-line that doesn't get any push or open any holes. He has a QB who is a terrible passer. He has a lot of sub standard WRs. He has an OC who is totally lost and it shows every game. He is a great guy. I want him to succeed. But it's starting to look like he's in over his head. He has to make some real changes and not just give speeches.

The "world has problems" perspective is the angle for someone with no answers. A loser response, which is fitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom