LSU Game Thread... | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

LSU Game Thread...

I'm pretty sure you know my POV on risk taking. 5:30 to go, 2 TOs, kick it and play D. We've already eschewed the 2s to play for a FG, why blow up that strategy?
Twenty yards doesn't give them a fg

Only one more question is the onsides because I thought LSU might choke on their own. Other than that, he had his far less talented team hanging on the road at LSU.

Someone show me where our talent was out matched across board. We were better IMO at qb, lb and the front 4 to me were a push tonite. They had athletic wr and rbs who were freaks in space.

Not sure LSU will win 7 games.

Welp, that sucked. Was our game. Will never get why no 2, but onside. Our D needs to recognize the end around.

While the onside kick was questionable. We new they were gonna run it and all we had to do was prevent them from getting into the endzone. But they couldnt stop what they knew was coming. They would of just ran for 1st downs and ran out the clock if the onside didnt happen. Didnt make much difference in outcome. Just a difference in how much we lost by
2nd and 7, take a look at the blatant hold on the interior that sprung Williams...right around 4:58 left in the game.

Agreed...no sense to do it. Kick it...play defense
So we could lose by 2 instead of 9? I dunno. I like the call as the underdog with all the momentum on the road.

You have to make stops to get decent field position. You know what happens if you get the onside?

You get

Wait for it

Great field position
When was the last time we got an on side kick? Coach P era? I think we are about 0-20

Welp, that sucked. Was our game. Will never get why no 2, but onside. Our D needs to recognize the end around.
It was a real good call with the D bunched up.

So we could lose by 2 instead of 9? I dunno. I like the call as the underdog with all the momentum on the road.
Time on clock...we kick it deep. They were playing the on side too.

Then why not actually onside kick it correctly? We didn't fool anyone there
Well obviously it was an awful kick.

Which team kicked it out of bounds? We are talking about ten years difference from that

They moved the ball 55 yards, people.

You know what might have happened if they had twenty more yards to go? They might've went 75

A bunch of people who know better are thinking about making momentum posts

Someone show me where our talent was out matched across board. We were better IMO at qb, lb and the front 4 to me were a push tonite. They had athletic wr and rbs who were freaks in space.

Not sure LSU will win 7 games.

They've got their punching bag win vs. Troy to get to 4 wins. Do you see three more in this schedule?

@Florida
vs. Auburn
@Ole Miss
@Bama
Arkansas
@Tenn
TAMU

I don't.

Which team kicked it out of bounds? We are talking about ten years difference from that

You know what might have happened if they had twenty more yards to go? They might've went 75

I'm arguing this with my wife right now... we still needed a stop, if anything, it could potentially save us time... still need a stop.

It was a real good call with the D bunched up.

Absolutely. It was too easy. Someone needs to recognize the motion man.

Yeah, I like being aggressive. I get wanting the ball back right away.

But... LSU had to play safe and protect their lead there. They had to keep it on the ground and keep it vanilla. My confidence in those circumstances is that the D could get the ball back.
Why does twenty yards make or break the defenses ability to stop a vanilla offense

When was the last time we got an on side kick? Coach P era? I think we are about 0-20
Yeah, it's not common, but they were reeling. Sometimes teams get inside kicks. That play didn't lose the game.
Time on clock...we kick it deep. They were playing the on side too.
they were playing slow O. They needed 2 first downs to put us away. It really didn't end up mattering.

Agreed...with our play calls...a 2 pt play is probably a 50/50 shot. On side kick is about 10%

Maybe we execute it a lot better in practice.

But that was such an awful onside attempt, it makes it easy to question.

There was a lot of time left, and we were playing for a field goal. Twenty yards of field position can matter a lot when you're talking about the difference between hitting a 30 yard FG vs a 50 yard FG. Throw in that LSU was not going to do anything risky at all... I think kicking deep would have been the better choice. But had the onside looked better, I probably don't feel that strongly about it.

This might just be like Auburn in 02 for all we know

I was there for that game. Best time of my life in a loss.

Wanted to get to Baton Rouge for this one, just didn't work out.

I don't think we'll win more than 5 games this year, so it could be like the '02 team. But I'll feel a lot better about it this time around.

Maybe we execute it a lot better in practice.

But that was such an awful onside attempt, it makes it easy to question.

There was a lot of time left, and we were playing for a field goal. Twenty yards of field position can matter a lot when you're talking about the difference between hitting a 30 yard FG vs a 50 yard FG. Throw in that LSU was not going to do anything risky at all... I think kicking deep would have been the better choice. But had the onside looked better, I probably don't feel that strongly about it.
Good point, but, with a longer field, if they execute methodically by the time they get to a 30-yard fg time's all but gone.

Why does twenty yards make or break the defenses ability to stop a vanilla offense
It doesn't. It affects where you need to spot the ball for a realistic FG try on your next offensive possession though.

Good point, but, with a longer field, if they execute methodically by the time they get to a 30-yard fg time's all but gone.
Sure. That's part of the risk assessment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom