Lydon and Malachi on Boeheim’s Army a bad sign? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon and Malachi on Boeheim’s Army a bad sign?

Talking about others people money is the height of cringe.

It's public information, and no one wants any of our guys to make less money.

We have millions of people tuning in Sunday nights to hear how Scottie Pippen was underpaid.

It's public information, and no one wants any of our guys to make less money.

We have millions of people tuning in Sunday nights to hear how Scottie Pippen was underpaid.

its my opinion that people talking about about a 23 year olds hypothetical living expenses is cringe.

I’m allowed to have an opinion...I think?

I think the reason they are in the TBT this year is THERE WILL BE NO SUMMER LEAGUE THIS YEAR. If the NBA season isn't cancelled it will bleed into the summer, which means Lydon's and Malachi's normal source of summer revenue will not be there.

Good for them.

I was wondering if anybody else was bummed out to see that Tyler and Malachi are planning on being on Boeheim’s Army? To me it seems that if those guys are willing to play in the tournament it is likely that their NBA prospects are slim and none. Which brings me back to when they left early. I know that a lot of people feel that everyone who goes in the first round made the right decision to leave. But when Lydon and Malachi left it was pretty evident that they had a lot of room for improvement. I’ve made this argument about Tyler Ennis as well. I know that a guaranteed three years as a first round pick is more than most people will make but I still feel that the life-changing money is in the second contract and that guys who get picked in mid to late first round are low hanging fruit to get cut after their first or second year. When guys are not physically ready go to the league they set themselves up to fail.

It is totally different than Tyus or Elijah Hughes. Those guys had accomplished all they could in college and needed to go. They were men in men’s bodies and likely as skilled as they can be as far as college development. Conversely Lydon needed to continue to develop his body, his shot in his low post game. Malachi needed to develop his game off the bounce as well as his d. Ennis had the body of a teenager, not grown ass man

I recognize that the NBA in large part drafts on potential. But in order to stay in the league you have to have a certain amount of strength, athleticism and skill. And when guys like Tyler and Malachi and other flame out so quickly it doesn’t help our program because during recruiting other programs will point to professional flame outs from Syracuse.
I don't blame them one bit for leaving when they did. Grab the money as soon as you can. No, they never got a second contract and will never play in the NBA again. But, as long as they invested wisely with the first contract, they will be comfortable the rest of their lives. Malachi is making good money overseas I would think. You have to go when your value is high. It does you nothing to stay in college.

Talking about others people money is the height of cringe.

Hah!

Being a financial planner sometimes makes you immune to the politeness of money conversation. I literally ask "how much do you make" 90% of the time in the first five minutes after meeting someone professionally.

It's a little like a urologist and the word penis (assuming that word doesn't get filtered). It loses its stigma.

Hah!

Being a financial planner sometimes makes you immune to the politeness of money conversation. I literally ask "how much do you make" 90% of the time in the first five minutes after meeting someone professionally.

It's a little like a urologist and the word penis (assuming that word doesn't get filtered). It loses its stigma.

Hopefully that is the first and last time I say penis on this board.

Ok, I was a little hyperbolic but the chance was very, very low.

I’m not saying he wasn’t or isn’t supremely talented, btw. He is and has proven that. But he was not going to get the opportunity or be used in a way in our offense that could have vaulted him into the lottery.
Agreed. Jeremi was a chess piece, a very valuable one sure, but still his talents were complimentary. As he’s gotten better in the pros, developing a jumper & so on, his role is still largely complementary. His game was never one where he’d take over and dominate both offensively and defensively.
Very good player nonetheless, but lottery pick? Don’t think so.

Agreed. Jeremi was a chess piece, a very valuable one sure, but still his talents were complimentary. As he’s gotten better in the pros, developing a jumper & so on, his role is still largely complementary. His game was never one where he’d take over and dominate both offensively and defensively.
Very good player nonetheless, but lottery pick? Don’t think so.

Grant shot 40% from 3 this season and 39% last season, if he was doing that at SU he may have been a lottery pick, but he took 5 3s in his last season at SU. Grant got lucky with where he was drafted, Lydon got very unlucky.

Phones not ringing hopefully they saved their money. Lydon sooooo deserved a shot year 3.

Mal was on 2 teams that were light at his spot and neither put him on the court. Sucks. At least he got paid.

I love both I was at those games in Chicago mid court first 5 rows. Their phones WILL heat up for good Euro/Asia deals they are gonna make more money playing ball just it sucks they don't have NBA contracts. Might as well roll with BA.

its my opinion that people talking about about a 23 year olds hypothetical living expenses is cringe.

I’m allowed to have an opinion...I think?

Of course.
Contracts of players basically come up during the course of every single sports broadcast as well, so I don't think the conversation itself is out of bounds.

Being very conservative, that’s still about a million dollars, cash in hand, not owed to anybody, for each of them. The typical college grad would need to work 25+ years to match that take home pay. And agents usually don’t get a cut of rookie contracts because they don’t add any value.

It’s not all sitting in the bank; they have living expenses, but the point is that’s a lot of discretionary income for a 24 year old. Enough to live very comfortably for a while, while you figure out your next moves.
Agent fees in NBA. Very modest.

Well if you were in Michael Jordan's house in 2016 watching Tyler and Mal go off... enjoy tonights episodes?

This Bulls documentary is seriously awesome. Signed = Celtics fan.

Fascinating dynasty. First 3 way different from the last 3. And I remember when Manny/Pedro/Arod got their deals thinking 'oh thats only half what Jordans last contract was.'

They circled jerked each other into that being it for no reason sort of like Brady quitting the Pats. Man what ego does.

Regardless great weekend at the UC a few years ago!

Hah!

This explains a lot. I knew a guy that had been both a financial planner and a urologist, and it really made the room uncomfortable when he would ask people how much money their penis makes.

Especially when he asked the ladies. Very awkward.

Let's argue the bolded point. I live in Fayetteville, east of Syracuse... It is considered together as part of Fayetteville-Manlius demographically. It is one of the wealthier suburbs of Syracuse. The median household income is $80k.

Let's assume Lyden made $3.5M and paid taxes, agent fees and thus saved 30% of that money (because he's a kid and just knew he was getting a second contract). That leaves him with about $1M of cash. Not generational money, true but he could easily live on $50k (a modest/sustainable 5% draw rate) happily for the rest of his life.

Now, just to make a second point: I also am a financial planner with several hundred clients... Only about 2% of them have accumulated $1M in their working careers. Most of my clients will be just fine without anywhere near Lydon's million

The money in sports is so big is easy to get blase about 3.5 million, but that is real money earned. And it doesn't count his other earning opportunities, basketball or otherwise. Richardson with his extra million of salary is just that much better off.

I was once in the "stay in school"crowd, but the money has outgrown the value of college if you can get drafted. Plus, it isn't like he forfeited his degree.

I think u make several good points but the one thing I would add is what are the lifestyle expectations of these players? They ink that first deal and maybe they go out and splurge on things for themselves and family members. Buy a nice ride, buy mom and dad a house etc. Then the three year deal ends and they're out of the NBA. Then what? I bet the savings get depleted pretty rapidly, especially if they reside in a higher cost of living area.

Btw Lydon and Mali did absolutely the right thing. They struck while the iron was hot. Unlikely they were ever going to have long time NBA careers.

I think u make several good points but the one thing I would add is what are the lifestyle expectations of these players? They ink that first deal and maybe they go out and splurge on things for themselves and family members. Buy a nice ride, buy mom and dad a house etc. Then the three year deal ends and they're out of the NBA. Then what? I bet the savings get depleted pretty rapidly, especially if they reside in a higher cost of living area.

Btw Lydon and Mali did absolutely the right thing. They struck while the iron was hot. Unlikely they were ever going to have long time NBA careers.

Depends on the player, of course. I think the information available to these guys nowadays is a lot better than it used to be. It’s easier to select reputable agents and financial planners. The players unions in the 3 main pro sports tend to stress the importance of saving money, now more than ever, and stories about guys like MCW or Rob Gronkowski, who live off of endorsement money while banking their salaries, are becoming more common.

Depends on the player, of course. I think the information available to these guys nowadays is a lot better than it used to be. It’s easier to select reputable agents and financial planners. The players unions in the 3 main pro sports tend to stress the importance of saving money, now more than ever, and stories about guys like MCW or Rob Gronkowski, who live off of endorsement money while banking their salaries, are becoming more common.

I think you're right that it is better now than it used to be for the reasons you outlined. I tend to side though with those here that make the argument that it is not as much $$ as people think it is. And unfortunately many of these players are forced to go overseas to make money. That's a tough gig to move away from friends and family and some of these locales are not all that glamorous. The other issue is many of these players have no discernible skill that can translate into a decent income other than playing hoops. That's a long time to support yourself after the hoops career is finished.

I think you're right that it is better now than it used to be for the reasons you outlined. I tend to side though with those here that make the argument that it is not as much $$ as people think it is. And unfortunately many of these players are forced to go overseas to make money. That's a tough gig to move away from friends and family and some of these locales are not all that glamorous. The other issue is many of these players have no discernible skill that can translate into a decent income other than playing hoops. That's a long time to support yourself after the hoops career is finished.

It’s not ‘retire at 25’ money, but a decently responsible person with gross earning of $4M in 4 years should be sitting on enough cash to get them into their 30’s without really needing to work. Using my conservative (IMO) guess that a guy in that spot would/should have about a million in the bank (after half taken away for taxes and fees, then a million dollars spent on your house, mom’s house, and a Lamborghini or 4), that’s a lot of time they’ve bought themselves to make a decision on their next career move. They, presumably, are already at least halfway to a degree that they don’t have to pay to finish. Assuming it’s not some garbage major, that piece of paper gets you a $40k a year job in a lot of cases.

Now, if they took their money and dropped a mil on a house, another mil on mom’s house, a few hundred thousand for cousin Pooky’s legal bills, and took out a loan to cover half a million in gambling debts, yeah they’ll be hurting.

Just getting drafted gives these guys opportunities besides playing...We really can't measure that.

Just getting drafted gives these guys opportunities besides playing...We really can't measure that.

Lydon and MR absolutely made the right move. No brainer. I just think the $$$ earned with the brief pro career doesn't last that long and then they have 40-50 years ahead of them to grind out a living. They get off to a good head start but then their friends at SU begin to pass them as these peers' professional careers progress.

1587995284932.png

Don't be that guy.
His point is valid though

These guys are young. The important point is how much did they keep?

Hopefully they were wise and didn't try to help out every shirttail relative and/or live the large life.

If they each have $1M in the market...that will give them some long term security (power of the Rule of 72) going forward. Time is on their side. I was invested in 1987 and saw 25% of my stock account wiped out while airborne flying that day. I obviously recovered that day and so will we in this current time.
Being fringe NBA players they ought to try to make some extra coin the next 5-7 years in Europe in one of the best Euro leagues.

Eventually when 30 rolls around they will have to reinvent themselves if they don't get into coaching.

I know an SU player who has played the past 5 or 6 years in Europe and made 6 figures at every stop. Who says Mal or Lydon can’t do that? That’s not even counting the other opportunities they opened themselves up to by being on an NBA roster. And taking Mali out of this for a second, but do people realize Lydon had a pretty significant injury? Do fans think he would have been better off getting hurt when he wasn’t getting paid?

All the guys who jump 'early' should be asked at age 30 if they did the right thing. That will give things a chance to play out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom