Lydon won't scrimmage at NBA combine | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon won't scrimmage at NBA combine

How does this "guarantee" work? What happens if a team tells Lydon 'we're going to select you if you're available,' but a higher-rated player surprisingly falls to that draft slot? Is that team really expected to honor their noncommittal commitment to Lydon?

I kinda don't like this 'i'm not going to work out for teams' thing. If i were a GM, i can't fathom not wanting to see a player compete in that kind of context. Even if it doesn't mean everything, it would still mean something to see them. Especially with a player like Lydon. Especially with him. Unless this 'mystery team' is in one of two cities...

How does this "guarantee" work? What happens if a team tells Lydon 'we're going to select you if you're available,' but a higher-rated player surprisingly falls to that draft slot? Is that team really expected to honor their noncommittal commitment to Lydon?

I kinda don't like this 'i'm not going to work out for teams' thing. If i were a GM, i can't fathom not wanting to see a player compete in that kind of context. Even if it doesn't mean everything, it would still mean something to see them. Especially with a player like Lydon. Especially with him. Unless this 'mystery team' is in one of two cities...

One would hope an experienced agent is helping him with interpreting anything teams are saying. This type of stuff is why it hurts kids to not be able to hire an agent when "testing the waters" because it would be so easy to get swindled. Where the agent has skin in the game because he'll make a percentage of the kid's earnings.

Teams tell kids all the time they are going to take them then don't. It happens more than you think. I do think Tyler will be a first round pick, just can't say that he is guaranteed to be one.

You clearly don't understand the concept of a draft guarantee.

So every team that tells a kid they are taking them, actually takes them?
Do you understand the difference between a team telling a player they may be interested in selecting them versus telling them they will select them if they are still on the board when their pick comes up?

Last edited:
Do you understand the difference between a team telling a player they may be interested in selecting them versus telling them they will select them if they they are still on the board when their pick comes up?
Do you understand the difference between a team telling a player they may be interested in selecting them versus telling them they will select them if they are still on the board when their pick comes up?

Of course I do, what happens if they are on the clock and someone is there who they never expected to be there? Or they get a trade offer, it happens all the time.

Lydon is going in the first round.
Nets have 2 picks in the mid 20s.
That team needs depth.

Lydon will be better with better players. The floor will be properly spaced. Lydon needs to work on those pick and pop 3's and corner 3's in pre draft practice workouts.

Question: if he does have a guarantee then why go to the combine at all?
According to this ESPN article many of the kids who will go to the combine will pass on the 5v5 drills because of fears that their draft status will fall, not because they have some sort of guarantee.

Of course I do, what happens if they are on the clock and someone is there who they never expected to be there? Or they get a trade offer, it happens all the time.
Of course those possibilities exist. But again, if this happens "all the time" as you contend, the stories would be out there. Show me some concrete examples.

I'm not sure whether Lyndon has been asked to do 5-5 or not. His tweet says no, but his article says yes.

Lydon played two years with a roster that had players out of position for ridiculous amounts of game time.

I want to emphasize this. The last two years, we have had players OUT OF POSITION. It's amazing what these guys have done given that.

Lydon played two years with a roster that had players out of position for ridiculous amounts of game time.

I want to emphasize this. The last two years, we have had players OUT OF POSITION. It's amazing what these guys have done given that.
I don't care i'm just curious why was he not there last night? I'm sure Jim was really happy.

No, I'm talking about when teams privately tell a player they will take him if he is still available when their pick comes up. That does happen, Brian, whether you want to believe it or not. And those teams do follow through; if they didn't, word would leak out and they would lose credibility.

Show me all the documented cases where a team has done what you suggest happens all the time. I'll wait.

Nonsense that happens all the time. Tyler Ennis was supposed to go to Toronto, judging by the ghost Malachi saw when Sactown drafted him and his quotes you can make that jump there.

These guys are flyers, agents and teams have bigger agendas than the feelings of a late first rounder.

Nonsense that happens all the time. Tyler Ennis was supposed to go to Toronto, judging by the ghost Malachi saw when Sactown drafted him and his quotes you can make that jump there.

These guys are flyers, agents and teams have bigger agendas than the feelings of a late first rounder.
So you're saying he was expecting to go to Toronto at 27 but instead went at 22? That doesn't exactly support your argument.

Edit: Sorry, thought you were talking about Richardson last year.

Not sure about the nature of any guarantee Ennis received from Toronto in 2014, but again, they were picking two slots behind Phoenix and very well may have intended to select him. Obviously, you can't control what the teams in front of you do.

Last edited:
I don't care i'm just curious why was he not there last night? I'm sure Jim was really happy.

At the cancer ball jb said he was in Chicago preparing for the combine. He didn't seem bothered by it at all.

What happens if the team says that to several players and more than one is available at that pick?

What happens if the team says that to several players and more than one is available at that pick?
How about you don't make that statement to multiple players, or you carefully qualify your statement so the player and his agent clearly understand where they stand and what you mean?

At the cancer ball jb said he was in Chicago preparing for the combine. He didn't seem bothered by it at all.

As I expected would be JB's reaction. Sure it would have been nice if Tyler was there but JB has forgiven other guys for far more serious transgressions.

So you're saying he was expecting to go to Toronto at 27 but instead went at 22? That doesn't exactly support your argument.

Not sure about the nature of any guarantee Ennis received from Toronto in 2014, but again, they were picking two slots behind Phoenix and very well may have intended to select him. Obviously, you can't control what the teams in front of you do.

The whole idea that teams no who they are picking two months before the draft is absurd, some don't know for sure when they are on the clock. Its like ya we really like you and will take you at 20, unless someone we like better falls to us, or we trade the pick.

Yes not my best argument.

I think the bigger issue is that these promises aren't exactly binding

The whole idea that teams no who they are picking two months before the draft is absurd, some don't know for sure when they are on the clock. Its like ya we really like you and will take you at 20, unless someone we like better falls to us, or we trade the pick.

The only point I'm seeing from you and Bayside is it isn't ok to leave early unless you are a guaranteed lottery pick which I think is a bad argument because it doesn't explain how the least number of seniors ever were invited to this combine.

For the record: You can say Lydon was very disappointing this year and still acknowledge him to be a first round pick.

I think he'll do much better in the NBA than College because all he has to do is be tall, rebound and shoot it. He can do all those things, along with develop an interior game if his team wants him to.

For the record: You can say Lydon was very disappointing this year and still acknowledge him to be a first round pick.

I think he'll do much better in the NBA than College because all he has to do is be tall, rebound and shoot it. He can do all those things.
If anyone truly believes Lydon was very disappointing they are a moron and should retire from the message board forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom