Lydon won't scrimmage at NBA combine | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon won't scrimmage at NBA combine

His measurables at the combine were very good except for the body fat, which was over 13%. Those of us who thought he looked soft last year were right.

Probably a positive for him when it comes to projecting him long term I would think. Athleticism will get better with being in better shape. Certainly doesn't say much for Syracuse's conditioning program though.

Probably a positive for him when it comes to projecting him long term I would think. Athleticism will get better with being in better shape. Certainly doesn't say much for Syracuse's conditioning program though.

Agreed. He is showing good measurables and did well in the drills against the other bigs while carrying the most % body fat. He will only improve when that is taken care of. Lets remember he is in the draft because he's a really good shooter who also happens to be tall. Shooting is his big ticket but everything else he shows just helps him. We could see him moving into the high teens area of the draft after today.

It seems according to Donna Ditota's article that he was one of the best, if not the best shooter at the combine yesterday...

Right and that's out of everyone not just the group of bigs like they rate most of the other skills. If someone really likes him he could sneak into the lottery.

Couldn't agree more with this. I remember seeing him up close against BC and I couldn't believe how sluggish he looked when changing direction. You could tell he didn't have very good core strength at all and was carrying some bad weight. Once that improves he'll make much sharper movements and see his defense and rebounding improve quite a bit.

Probably going to lose quite a few people here and sound like a fitness nerd but core strength is a huge, huge piece of emphasis for high level athletes and it was evident he had a lot of work to do there. I know all the way from Duke basketball to Alabama football they preach that probably 75-80% of performing at a high level and having functional strength is done in the area between right above the knee to right below the rib cage. That's the foundation for basically all athletic and explosive movements. I mean just look at how the HEAT carved up Dion's mid-section and how he improved.

For example, when you watch really good high level defensive backs/wide receivers or basketball athletes change direction they almost always break down knees bent in an athletic stance, have their chest up and "lead" the turn with their belly button so to speak. Lydon often times on closeouts would be standing upright, with his shoulders hunched over and his shoulders would be the first thing to turn. Basically a textbook sign of a really weak core so the fact he has 13% body fat after preparing for the combine shouldn't be a huge surprise. An NBA team will tighten and strengthen that up real quick and he'll get better.

yeah because a guy playing zone for one or two years forever destroys them as a basketball player. Complete nonsense.

I know, right? Kinda like when JB utters how his teams can't play any man to man, not even a wink of it, regardless of the fact that these guys have played it and nothing but it their entire lives as hoopsters until they reach the Hill. ;);)

Couldn't agree more with this. I remember seeing him up close against BC and I couldn't believe how sluggish he looked when changing direction. You could tell he didn't have very good core strength at all and was carrying some bad weight. Once that improves he'll make much sharper movements and see his defense and rebounding improve quite a bit.

Probably going to lose quite a few people here and sound like a fitness nerd but core strength is a huge, huge piece of emphasis for high level athletes and it was evident he had a lot of work to do there. I know all the way from Duke basketball to Alabama football they preach that probably 75-80% of performing at a high level and having functional strength is done in the area between right above the knee to right below the rib cage. That's the foundation for basically all athletic and explosive movements. I mean just look at how the HEAT carved up Dion's mid-section and how he improved.

For example, when you watch really good high level defensive backs/wide receivers or basketball athletes change direction they almost always break down knees bent in an athletic stance, have their chest up and "lead" the turn with their belly button so to speak. Lydon often times on closeouts would be standing upright, with his shoulders hunched over and his shoulders would be the first thing to turn. Basically a textbook sign of a really weak core so the fact he has 13% body fat after preparing for the combine shouldn't be a huge surprise. An NBA team will tighten and strengthen that up real quick and he'll get better.

I've been down on our S&C for a couple years. Really interested in what our diet recommendations and Cabiles training methods are. It wouldn't appear our guys are doing many squats. Some of our other guys like Roberson and Cooney also seemed way to muscular in their upper body for a basketball player...

It seems according to Donna Ditota's article that he was one of the best, if not the best shooter at the combine yesterday...

Nice to see him improve his stock, gotta be a first rounder. Wish he shot more here.

Agree completely about core strength. That, along with the glutes, are our foundation. However, body fat percentage doesn't mean someone has a strong/weak core. It simply means they have a higher body fat %. Of course that can tie into conditioning, but the lower body fat typically is just an outcome of having really good conditioning. Plenty of people have low body fat and terrible conditioning.

*this isn't calling you out o'sully, just a general post*

As an amendment to my above statement- powerlifters have some of the strongest cores on the planet. If you looked at some of these guys (certainly not all), the body fat % is quite high for many. But I lol at people who associate visible abs with core strength, and assume those with more body fat are out of shape... you don't think putting 700+ pounds on your back requires a strong core?!

Agree completely about core strength. That, along with the glutes, are our foundation. However, body fat percentage doesn't mean someone has a strong/weak core. It simply means they have a higher body fat %. Of course that can tie into conditioning, but the lower body fat typically is just an outcome of having really good conditioning. Plenty of people have low body fat and terrible conditioning.

You're right and yea I tied them in together. He looked soft and like he was dragging his midsection with him suggesting the higher body fat % and then was making pretty sluggish movements it had some big signs of having a weak core. The textbook sign I referenced is if your core is strong than it can stay engaged and keep you in an athletic position, his looked like it rarely could.

There are plenty of linemen in the NFL and some of the elite colleges who probably have higher body fat % than Lydon but would also probably have considerably more core strength.

Last edited:
I've been down on our S&C for a couple years. Really interested in what our diet recommendations and Cabiles training methods are. It wouldn't appear our guys are doing many squats. Some of our other guys like Roberson and Cooney also seemed way to muscular in their upper body for a basketball player...

I think diet is the huge piece to it. I know Alabama football has a lot of resources contributed to a team nutritionist and staff who literally has a personalized shake waiting for them in their lockers after each practice/workout depending on if the player is trying to lose weight, bulk up or maintain and then likewise have specific stations and meals afterwards for each player's goals in the team eating area at the football facility. Then that's paired with their strength & conditioning guy, Cochran, who is widely regarded as the best in the country for football and has some pretty great clips and videos out there. There's a reason Saban pays him like $525k+ a year.

I don't really know anything about Cabiles good or bad. I do kinda get the impression though that how JB is pretty laid back about off court stuff that it wouldn't surprise me if he kinda leaves it up to each player to spend as much or as little time in the weight room as they prefer. So some of it might be as simple as falling on the players shoulders. Lydon looked like he didn't really do much of anything and meanwhile I remember Jerami blew up between his freshman and sophomore year and got even more athletic after the added weight. I agree overall though that it doesn't seem like there's a consistent emphasis across the board on the S&C aspect of things.

Well, Dino "fired" Cabiles from working with the football team as one of his first acts, didn't he?

i've been in plenty of pool hall fights and i will say IME that the little skinny drawn out mofos are far more dangerous than the big belly 6 foot plus types. don't ever turn your back. weasel mean.

Clearly not ready.

This is not trying to knock him, and I know your just giving it to us who said he wasn't ready, but you can't take a combine drill and get that excited over it.

This is not trying to knock him, and I know your just giving it to us who said he wasn't ready, but you can't take a combine drill and get that excited over it.
If it moves someone up the board, it's worth getting excited over.

Then why do they do those combine shooting drills? They mean something to the GMs.

It means a little something, but in the grand scheme of things it is such a tiny thing. I am not a combine guy for football or bball.

If it moves someone up the board, it's worth getting excited over.

Besides being 1st among frontcourt players in spot up shooting, he was also 5th in off the dribble shooting which was perceived at one of his weaknesses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom