Lydon won't scrimmage at NBA combine | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon won't scrimmage at NBA combine

Have to admit I get a bit of a tingle when I get an alert and see you've posted in this thread.

My post has nothing to do with my opinion on him leaving, this was something that happened a year ago.

My post has nothing to do with my opinion on him leaving, this was something that happened a year ago.
Oh I know, but now you've sort of come full circle and brought Mali's decision back into play. I salute your persistence.

Oh I know, but now you've sort of come full circle and brought Mali's decision back into play. I salute your persistence.

I wasn't meaning to bring up his decision, just that a scout thought high of Lydon last year.

Right. Still means little in the 'Battle can play PG' argument.

What skill do you see that suggest he's a good passer and can create for others?

Put it this way. I think Mali would be a better PG than Battle. He was asked to score, but actually created for others.

What skill do you see that suggest he's a good passer and can create for others?

Put it this way. I think Mali would be a better PG than Battle. He was asked to score, but actually created for others.

Battle was put on this earth to be a 2 guard, I still cant wrap my head around why people want to force him to play the 1.

I wasn't meaning to bring up his decision, just that a scout thought high of Lydon last year.
Sure. You paraphrased what that scout said and now you're spinning like Sean Spicer. I'm not buying it. ;)

Battle can get to any spot on the court he wants to. That's rare. Mali couldn't do that. That's a PG skill; one if the most essential of the PG skills.

edit: It should also be noted that Malachi's assist numbers are only marginally better than Battle's and his turnover numbers are worse. If he was better at creating for his teammates than Battle, you'd think it would show up in the stats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Battle can get to any spot on the court he wants to. That's rare. Mali couldn't do that. That's a PG skill; one if the most essential of the PG skills.

edit: It should also be noted that Malachi's assist numbers are only marginally better than Battle's and his turnover numbers are worse. If he was better at creating for his teammates than Battle, you'd think it would show up in the stats.

I agree to disagree. He's a decent dribbler and more athletic and stronger than the guys that guard him. He has zero passing vision and he's not great in the PNR. If you have no vision and aren't great in the PNR you aren't a PG.

One of the reasons we struggled this year is because we were one of the worst passing teams in the country. Battle was part of that. He couldnt throw the ball inside to TT and Lydon at all. Drove me nuts this year.

I agree to disagree. He's a decent dribbler and more athletic and stronger than the guys that guard him. He has zero passing vision and he's not great in the PNR. If you have no vision and aren't great in the PNR you aren't a PG.

One of the reasons we struggled this year is because we were one of the worst passing teams in the country. Battle was part of that. He couldnt throw the ball inside to TT and Lydon at all. Drove me nuts this year.

He's a significantly better than 'decent' dribbler. I think you're overstating his his lack of vision and struggles with the pick and roll. You're right, we're not going to agree on this.

The reasons we struggled were almost all on defense. Offense was not often the issue. The passing wasn't great because the Point Guards sucked but that has little to do with Battle. TT and Lydon were not back-to-the-basket players, so getting them the ball in the deep post was not, or should not have been, a priority.

He's a significantly better than 'decent' dribbler. I think you're overstating his his lack of vision and struggles with the pick and roll. You're right, we're not going to agree on this.

The reasons we struggled were almost all on defense. Offense was not often the issue. The passing wasn't great because the Point Guards sucked but that has little to do with Battle. TT and Lydon were not back-to-the-basket players, so getting them the ball in the deep post was not, or should not have been, a priority.
Next year's team might be another slog it out defensive team. I mean, besides TT...

They were wide open a good portion of the year and we missed them.

The offense was great when we shot well. We didn't create anything passing.

I think I value vision more than you do and that's where we differ.

They were wide open a good portion of the year and we missed them.

The offense was great when we shot well. We didn't create anything passing.

I think I value vision more than you do and that's where we differ.

I think vision is very hard to quantify

I think vision is very hard to quantify

Perhaps, but counting assists is pretty easy.
Especially when you had as few as Battle did.

Guys like Mali and Dion were much better playmakers on the wing, than what Tyus has shown to date.

Why should Lydon come back? A subpar/unfinished/thin roster, playing all zone again, and most importantly he would probably be playing heavy minutes at the 5...again. Counting on Chukwu, Sidibe, or TT to man the 5 effectively or any combo of them is like playing lotto scratch offs constantly like a degenerate hoping for big payouts. Ain't gonna happen.

if playing zone is a reason to not come back, then its a reason to not come in the first place.

if playing zone is a reason to not come back, then its a reason to not come in the first place.
yeah because a guy playing zone for one or two years forever destroys them as a basketball player. Complete nonsense.

All the good teams switch on D with similar sized players. Lydon has the perfect wingspan to do that and he did pretty well in the shuttle drill today.

The guys for Syracuse that haven't made it haven't made it because they aren't efficient offensive players. That's why Wes fell out of favor in Clipper land.

Maybe so. But I want tyus shooting not passing

Hopefully Thorpe will be doing the passing. He has great vision to attack and score, or find Tyus and the crew.

You seem to have a lot of inside knowledge of how scouting works, and what kids should do. Let us in on a little bit more of your insight. Do you guys think TT could leave after this year? Any freshmen we have that may surprise us folks, and jump early?

yeah because a guy playing zone for one or two years forever destroys them as a basketball player. Complete nonsense.

who said that? i said that if he doesn't want to return because they play zone, he shouldn't have come in the first place. bit sensitive.

According to Jonathan Givony. Appears to be a first round lock. Have at it!Popcorn and soda

His measurables at the combine were very good except for the body fat, which was over 13%. Those of us who thought he looked soft last year were right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom