Mahoney Says To Start Rex | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Mahoney Says To Start Rex

Wrong he scored 68 points against Pitt. Don't forget the pick six he threw and also remember that a lot of his passes were of the five and seven yard variety and the receiver took it the other 40,50,60 yards. Mahoney should have just stayed out of this one.
No, not at all. You can check here.

43 of 61, 440 yards, 5 TD passes, 2 TDs running, 49 yards rushing

"I told him if you don't throw the ball, we can't win," Babers said.
So we are going to keep throwing the ball, and if you throw a pick-six than you just throw a pick-six. But the next throw is going to be a touchdown. We can't win without you. You are going to throw, and you are going to throw well."

HMMM, a lifetime backup QB thinks that a backup QB should start?

/ record scratch

STOP THE PRESSES! :rolleyes: :p :p
Yeah I don't think anyone should be bent out of shape or much stock should be put into the opinion of a backup QB who's claim to fame is scoring a bunch of points in a loss. Nothing against the guy and he's allowed to have an opinion like the rest of us, just is what it is.

And it would probably help the situation we're in as a whole if former players don't make comments like this in general because 99% of the time it is just divisive.

How many yards does a pass go that you don’t throw because you can’t make a decision and take a 10 yard sack?
First of all I'm not sticking up for DeVito. I was in a round about way trying to point out that in my humble opinion, Zach Mahoney is not the person who's advice I would seek out regarding who should be the starting quarterback of Syracuse University's Football Team.

This is one of the saddest, most ridiculous threads I've seen in a while. A former player on a podcast speculating on things that are a coach's decisions, a player's father on here bad-mouthing former players; people arguing with said father, people bad-mouthing current and former players, people bad-mouthing each other. This is what happens when you're a losing program.

First of all I'm not sticking up for DeVito. I was in a round about way trying to point out that in my humble opinion, Zach Mahoney is not the person who's advice I would seek out regarding who should be the starting quarterback of Syracuse University's Football Team.
Well he was a teammate of both quarterbacks and did play under Babers so he may have some insight. He was offering his opinion based solely on results so far this year, not advice.

This is one of the saddest, most ridiculous threads I've seen in a while. A former player on a podcast speculating on things that are a coach's decisions, a player's father on here bad-mouthing former players; people arguing with said father, people bad-mouthing current and former players, people bad-mouthing each other. This is what happens when you're a losing program.
This is what happens on the internet.

Big game Saturday. Got a feeling we come out with some fire in the new dome and hit the gates quickly. Maybe we even get a ST touchdown from johnson. Defense makes some key plays on the inexperienced Gtech O and SU’s offense finally gets some sense of cohesiveness. Tommy throws a 60 yard bomb with under a minute left in the fourth to Taj Harris after getting adequate protection. Time runs out, Gtech wins 21-14.

This is probably a far better way to have said what I did. I remember watching Mahoney being
incapable of completing a pass in a winnable game vs Clemson, and who really accomplished
very little in his time as a QB. There are far better people to ask. He had two stellar games in
his career at SU, against Wake and Pitt, but SU lost, just like they did in all of his appearances. If
he was the QB, right now, people would be calling for his head, because you knew he was
unable to lead an offense. With DeVito, you've seen success and wins (<-- these are important),
and failures and losses. Not so with Mahoney.

Kev

Wish Dungey would chime in IMO. Didn't he like Amie as the successor not Devito? Obviously this is before Amie transferred.
Yes. I remember him making that comment. It’s interesting two former qbs take on TD.
Everyone wanted TD to be successful. It just has not happened. We can blame the line, receivers, RB and TE but the qb has to share the blame.
What Mahoney said seems correct. If TD was playing in another program with his numbers he would not be starting. When something is not working you have to try something different. If the offense continues the same way and adjustment to personnel are not made I could see Dino loosing the confidence from the team.
Another point he mentioned I found interesting was about timing with receivers. People keep mentioning the pandemic and lose of spring ball as the issue. But Mahony pointed out this is TD forth year in the program and all the other primary skill players all played last year.
Now maybe TD goes in the first series drives them down the field and scores a TD. That would be awesome. But if we continue to see the same play something has to change.

That's why he has no creditability takes pop shots at own players, had low blows to Dungey as well saying he wouldn't run better than a 4.8, 4.9 at the combine he ended running a 4.6.
Ed wasn’t at the combine and I never said what he would run
You did, but it was just a guess for fun.
Dungey’s time in the Post-Standard was 4.68.

I’m gonna say 23 reps
4.82 40
6.375 height
Weight 234

Redrum what do you think Tommy needs to improve with this current situation to help the offense get back on track?

Unfortunately, those intangibles really aren't teachable. Tommy has been in the program now for 4 years, senior standing academically. What you see is what you get at this stage of the game. Of course, that's just my opinion/assessment.

This is probably a far better way to have said what I did. I remember watching Mahoney being
incapable of completing a pass in a winnable game vs Clemson, and who really accomplished
very little in his time as a QB. There are far better people to ask. He had two stellar games in
his career at SU, against Wake and Pitt, but SU lost, just like they did in all of his appearances. If
he was the QB, right now, people would be calling for his head, because you knew he was
unable to lead an offense. With DeVito, you've seen success and wins (<-- these are important),
and failures and losses. Not so with Mahoney.

Kev
So what? We all know he lacked the physical tools to be a good D1 qb. That doesn't mean he can't know what he is talking about. Most of the best coaches lacked physical ability, and Mahoney beat out more physically gifted players to be the back up because he was able to mentally understand the offense. It doesn't mean he is right, but he has better perspective than anyone on this board because he actually ran the offense.

Last edited:
Why are we picking on Mahoney? I am sure there are other former quarterbacks (starters, back ups, walk ons) that have watched the product on the field over the course of the first two games and think Rex should be given the chance to start too.

Why are we picking on Mahoney? I am sure there are other former quarterbacks (starters, back ups, walk ons) that have watched the product on the field over the course of the first two games and think Rex should be given the chance to start too.
More importantly they say never trust a man with two first names PatMark. What do you say to that?! Please note that no matter what ya say I still may not trust it.
92ECFECA-3096-4978-9501-8C4C812C5304.jpeg

If this were a must win game I would probably sit Tommy. But this year is about getting better for the future. Tommy should start every game until bye week #2. It is too early to give up on him. If he is struggling in any game then you can think about starting Rex the 2nd half. He has too much talent to not keep trying for now. Then at some point you have to give up, which IMO is bye week 2.

You are going to get nowhere with these experts. It doesn't matter if no qb in the history of the game ever succeed throwing while being knocked on his butt.

It is impossible to make accurate assessments watching the limited TV view much less the type of observations often made here.
The line is one of the weakest we have had in a very long time.

It matters not who plays qb or what plays are called if linemen get manhandled and backs whiff. There is no execution without blocking.

Dino made appropriate changes and we have to let the new guys do their jobs.

Everyone should understand the limits of the offense.

I for one am appreciative of Tommy's situation and in full support.
Fans beat up Ryan Nassib, then Hunt, then even Dungey. It is no surprise they have turned on Tommy.

Not me.

Tommy is kind of like Ivan Drago. He’s put in all the work, has all the measurables, but in the end his own fans end up rooting against him after he gets beat up for a while.

lol.

But nobody is rooting against him. People are just frustrated that we’ve looked like the worst offense in college football history for 2 weeks and are trying to find something to cling to that brings hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom