Making the final 4 without even shooting that well | Syracusefan.com

Making the final 4 without even shooting that well

Millhouse

Living Legend
It never occurred to me that they'd ever make it this far but if someone asked me a week ago what would would need to happen, I'd have said that they would need to go crazy shooting the ball

I know that getting 4 heads in a row doesn't make you more likely to get a tail on the next flip. but I still can't help but feel like it's not too much to ask for them to heat up shooting the ball for 2 games.

It never occurred to me that they'd ever make it this far but if someone asked me a week ago what would would need to happen, I'd have said that they would need to go crazy shooting the ball

I know that getting 4 heads in a row doesn't make you more likely to get a tail on the next flip. but I still can't help but feel like it's not too much to ask for them to heat up shooting the ball for 2 games.
We scored 47 in the 2nd half vs the best man to man defense in the country, so you know we have it in us.

Anything can happen in a single elimination game. Our kids are battle tested, poised, and they make plays when the game is on the line. We've shown throughout this topsy turvy season that while we still have warts, that we can beat anybody--literally anybody--we play, any given night.

Why not us?

Two more victories to go.

Anything can happen in a single elimination game. Our kids are battle tested, poised, and they make plays when the game is on the line. We've shown throughout this topsy turvy season that while we still have warts, that we can beat anybody--literally anybody--we play, any given night.

Why not us?

Why not, indeed. Believing is the first step toward getting there. One at a time is good fishing. Only one job right now, beat UNC.

had the conversation a couple of times today. cooney is due for a game where he bombs and Mali hasn't been consistent either

I think any chance of victory next game will be based on D and Robe/DC/TL hitting the boards, but wouldn't it be nice if we had 3 guys raining 3's?

had the conversation a couple of times today. cooney is due for a game where he bombs and Mali hasn't been consistent either

I think any chance of victory next game will be based on D and Robe/DC/TL hitting the boards, but wouldn't it be nice if we had 3 guys raining 3's?
Or maybe 4 guys.

If I'm not mistaken, that UVa game may have been Mike G's worst game of the year. And without checking the box score, I think it may be the case that he and Cooney combined for zero 3 pointers in that game. If true, it may be the first such happening this season.

Edit: just checked and it is true, no 3's from either TC or MG. Mike shot 4-13 FG, 0-4 3FG, 3-6 FT. If I gave you that information pregame it would be reasonable to expect we'd lose by 20.

Last edited:
If you told me that Syracuse would shoot 36% and 5-15/6-18 from three and win twice i'd say you are lying. It doesnt even seem possible.

No threes from your senior back court, down 15 with 10 minutes left. Jesus pinch me still.

Saturday need our guys to be hot. No way winning late tourney games while shooting worse than your opponent can continue as a trend.

The UVa defense was absolutely filthy though. They made a soup sandwich out of our half court sets in the first half. Cooney and G were trying to run motion and would wind up 28 feet from the basket moving the wrong direction after 20 seconds. Then when getting in the lane, it was a wall. Mali just got into freaking en-fuego mode in the second half and we rebounded like demons. Coleman was a huge hero on that front.

The UVa defense was absolutely filthy though. They made a soup sandwich out of our half court sets in the first half. Cooney and G were trying to run motion and would wind up 28 feet from the basket moving the wrong direction after 20 seconds. Then when getting in the lane, it was a wall. Mali just got into freaking en-fuego mode in the second half and we rebounded like demons. Coleman was a huge hero on that front.

Yes, good point. Va defended the perimeter very aggressively, giving up not very many good looks from three. Cooney and G adjusted by driving more and we had a lot more success in the second half with that. And it also helped put them into foul trouble. And as a team they hit the boards hard: TR 8, MR 7, DC 7, TL 6. Interestingly enough, after some really big efforts on the boards this year, G had 4. I guess you could say Malachi picked up for G, who didn't play badly, just didn't get his usual numbers - although he had 6 dimes.

Another aspect of team shooting is at the foul line. I think I read as a team we're 80% in the tourney?

That pack defense Virginia uses is usually used to specifically to stop dribble drive offenses by "packing it in" to give help and deny penetration. Amazing job by SU.

We really haven't shot well all year especially from inside the arc - we rank 324th out of 351 teams. However we're 50th from the 3. We're 6th though for steals per defensive possession. We're 13th in the nation defending the 3. We have found the most interesting and unorthodox way to win and stay in games, particularly considering we aren't known for pressure defense in getting those steals.

The key to the offense in the 2nd half was getting away from the motion and ball screens, spreading it, going ISO and attacking the rimm in transition.
As great as UVA was on D and Brogden specifically Mal showed they couldn't guard him without help. Toby couldn't guard TylerL all the way out to his range.

Great point. At Atlantis we shot incredible and most people here (including Boeheim) thought we'd have to do that to make any kind of run -- look at the other Final 4 teams:
- UNC seems to get to 85pts without even trying and Paige is fire
- Nova is making everything (they cooled off in the Kansas game, but KU couldn't score either)
- Buddy Hield

Mali was amazing vs. UVA but he still finished 6-16 from the field (fortunately for us I think all 6 came in the last 9 minutes or so)

The thing is we've hit big shots when we needed to. With our confidence as high as it is, I assume we aren't too off from a game where we hit 13 3's (that'd be nice on Saturday) -- if we do that and keep the intensity on D up, we will be in very good shape

Cowtown said:
Yes, good point. Va defended the perimeter very aggressively, giving up not very many good looks from three. Cooney and G adjusted by driving more and we had a lot more success in the second half with that. And it also helped put them into foul trouble. And as a team they hit the boards hard: TR 8, MR 7, DC 7, TL 6. Interestingly enough, after some really big efforts on the boards this year, G had 4. I guess you could say Malachi picked up for G, who didn't play badly, just didn't get his usual numbers - although he had 6 dimes. Another aspect of team shooting is at the foul line. I think I read as a team we're 80% in the tourney?

When we started driving in the second half, even if we didn't score, it felt like body blows in boxing. If we were going down it was going to be taking it to them. I think the energy/fury/whatever you want to call it (and the lack of PnR) caught them off guard.

Great point. At Atlantis we shot incredible and most people here (including Boeheim) thought we'd have to do that to make any kind of run -- look at the other Final 4 teams:
- Nova is making everything (they cooled off in the Kansas game, but KU couldn't score either)
- Buddy Hield

Mali was amazing vs. UVA but he still finished 6-16 from the field (fortunately for us I think all 6 came in the last 9 minutes or so)

The thing is we've hit big shots when we needed to. With our confidence as high as it is, I assume we aren't too off from a game where we hit 13 3's (that'd be nice on Saturday) -- if we do that and keep the intensity on D up, we will be in very good shape

Amen Brother. I grinned at your OU summary of "Buddy Hield". He and Paige make me fantasize that they may rub off on My 2 Ons.

Back to the point, the great defense and enough offense at the right time seems to be a formula that works, and seems to come from something deeper/less explicable than raw talent or Boeheims x's and o's. I tend to enjoy things in life that tend to defy the formula and at times even explanation. Sammy Hagar may have been right that there's only one way to rock, but there certainly is more than 1 way to win college hoops games, and this team is proving it.

- Buddy Hield

Still, have those teams faced defenses like SU or UVa? I don't know. If I'm Vilanova in particular, I'm a little worried that I can count on 11 three's every night. UNC hasn't been great from the 3, but just like us, they can get hot. This UNC game, I think comes down to the same old: if we shoot well, I think we take it. If not it will be either a dog fight just due to pure grit on the part of our guys or they will cover.

We scored on 9 straight possessions from 10:45 till 3:27.

We made 9 of 10 shots and the only miss by Richardson he got his own rebound and scored.

We won this game by shooting well in this 6 minute stretch.

Good news is UNC doesn't play UVA level D but UNC can score a lot more easily.

Also Cooney plays well against UNC.

If I'm not mistaken, that UVa game may have been Mike G's worst game of the year. And without checking the box score, I think it may be the case that he and Cooney combined for zero 3 pointers in that game. If true, it may be the first such happening this season.

Edit: just checked and it is true, no 3's from either TC or MG. Mike shot 4-13 FG, 0-4 3FG, 3-6 FT. If I gave you that information pregame it would be reasonable to expect we'd lose by 20.

what is remarkable is the post standard ran an article saying the G HAS JOINED (not can join) elite company a few weeks ago scoring double digits in every game this season. I thought that was the KOD for awhile on Sunday.

Why not us?

Ec6r6.gif

We scored on 9 straight possessions from 10:45 till 3:27.

We made 9 of 10 shots and the only miss by Richardson he got his own rebound and scored.

We won this game by shooting well in this 6 minute stretch.

Good news is UNC doesn't play UVA level D but UNC can score a lot more easily.

Also Cooney plays well against UNC.
we made like 3-4 shots though the rest were layups.

If you told me that Syracuse would shoot 36% and 5-15/6-18 from three and win twice i'd say you are lying. It doesnt even seem possible.

No threes from your senior back court, down 15 with 10 minutes left. Jesus pinch me still.

Saturday need our guys to be hot. No way winning late tourney games while shooting worse than your opponent can continue as a trend.
I didn't even realize G and Cooney combined for 0 threes. Holy crap.

Let's piss off the haters even more and win the whole damn thing!

We have to win one more game twice. Once against a team we are familiar with, and potentially against another team we know well (Nova) or a team that hasn't played our zone since 2009 with one day to prep. It will be VERY difficult to do but if we keep playing the way we've been playing we have as good of a shot to win the whole thing as anybody else.

Gill being at less than full strength was clearly a positive for us. I think he is the key to their defensive energy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom