Malachi | Syracusefan.com

Malachi

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
If you don’t follow the other sports board, you may have missed that Malachi was traded to Toronto.

The primary motivator for this deal for Toronto was saving $900,000 off their team payroll, which will allow Toronto to sign a buy-out player down the stretch without going into the Luxury Tax.

All that being said, I am sure they look at Malachi as a future asset that they can develop properly in the G-League. He is not going to get a shot in Toronto anytime soon, but Toronto does as good a job as anybody in the NBA in effectively using the G-League (resources, training, access to coaching)

Sure would be nice if every thread on former players in the NBA didn’t become a referendum on players leaving early.
Would this be the wrong time to inquire how programs like Nova and UNC are able to keep their stars for 4 years. BTW, good luck Mali. Toronto has to be a better organization.

Sure would be nice if every thread on former players in the NBA didn’t become a referendum on players leaving early.

Go check out the Rakeem Christas, Michael Gbinije or Trevor Cooney NBA threads. It's not every thread.

Would this be the wrong time to inquire how programs like Nova and UNC are able to keep their stars for 4 years. BTW, good luck Mali. Toronto has to be a better organization.

It's like we're in recruiting limbo. Meanwhile, Nova / UNC / Notre Dame recruit to their profile and get players to stick around long term. Frustrating.

I'm not sure the narrative that UNC players stay 4 years is entirely correct. We've certainly had more one and dones than they have lately. Tony Bradley was their first since Brendan Wright. But not ALL their players stay 4 years.

North Carolina Players Drafted in the NBA - RealGM

That being said, good luck to Malachi. Hope this is a better opportunity for playing time than Sacramento because I think he can do well if given the chance.

Well, I'm pretty sure every one of them except Anthony have underachieved in the NBA. Or at least that's the impression I've gotten from reading this board over the years.

It's like we're in recruiting limbo. Meanwhile, Nova / UNC / Notre Dame recruit to their profile and get players to stick around long term. Frustrating.
Colson would have left after his soph year because he showed potential. Then would have spent last year and a half in the DG League and likely been traded so no one knows what team he's even on. But his injury now is proof he should have left for the money. Because that is all that matters.

I'm not sure the narrative that UNC players stay 4 years is entirely correct. We've certainly had more one and dones than they have lately. Tony Bradley was their first since Brendan Wright. But not ALL their players stay 4 years.

North Carolina Players Drafted in the NBA - RealGM

That being said, good luck to Malachi. Hope this is a better opportunity for playing time than Sacramento because I think he can do well if given the chance.

Here are all of the UNC Mickey D's since 2010. It's more than you would think that stay 3 or 4 years.

2016 Tony Bradley Bartow, FL One year
2014 Theo Pinson Greensboro, NC Four years
2014 Joel Berry Apopka, FL Four years
2014 Justin Jackson Tomball, TX Three years
2013 Isaiah Hicks Oxford, NC Four years
2013 Kennedy Meeks Charlotte, NC Four years
2012 Marcus Paige Marion, IA Four years
2011 P.J. Hairston Greensboro, NC Two years
2011 James Michael McAdoo Norfolk, VA Three years
2010 Harrison Barnes Ames, IA Two years
2010 Reggie Bullock Kinston, NC Three years
2010 Kendall Marshall Dumfries, NC Two years

Who at Nova could have left early as a first round pick?

You can't pick where you get drafted, but if you end up in Toronto's farm team you are typically going to develop as well or quite possibly better than in Syracuse.

I know this will blow the mind of some.

Last edited:
With the exception of a few most of our guys who leave early end up pulling a Bull Durham.

Which is the case for more players than not drafted in the 20's. irrespective of class.

Who at Nova could have left early as a first round pick?

I don’t know the answer to this but who at UNC as well? I mean Kennedy Meeks is in the same place now as he would be had he left three years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are all of the UNC Mickey D's since 2010. It's more than you would think that stay 3 or 4 years.

2016 Tony Bradley Bartow, FL One year
2014 Theo Pinson Greensboro, NC Four years
2014 Joel Berry Apopka, FL Four years
2014 Justin Jackson Tomball, TX Three years
2013 Isaiah Hicks Oxford, NC Four years
2013 Kennedy Meeks Charlotte, NC Four years
2012 Marcus Paige Marion, IA Four years
2011 P.J. Hairston Greensboro, NC Two years
2011 James Michael McAdoo Norfolk, VA Three years
2010 Harrison Barnes Ames, IA Two years
2010 Reggie Bullock Kinston, NC Three years
2010 Kendall Marshall Dumfries, NC Two years

Difference is UNC recruits McD's guys that basically have no shot at being NBA players. Pinson, Berry, Hicks, Meeks, Paige, etc...those guys aren't getting drafted, much less having an NBA career.

Based on this list, it seems that any UNC recruit that has a chance of getting drafted leaves early, which sounds a lot like Syracuse.

Difference is UNC recruits McD's guys that basically have no shot at being NBA players.
Mickey D's are generally the top recruits. So should the argument be that Syracuse develops their recruits better or faster than UNC. But not sure how to quantify your argument.

How many people thought High School/Prep School Tyler Lydon was a 1st round pick.

Mickey D's are generally the top recruits. So should the argument be that Syracuse develops their recruits better or faster than UNC. But not sure how to quantify your argument.

How many people thought High School/Prep School Tyler Lydon was a 1st round pick.

I don’t know. Maybe this highlights the fact that the McDonald’s All American game doesn’t really include the best prospects, but is a showcase for certain schools based on college basketball politics.

The main thing is that there's a difference between HS rankings and rankings for the NBA. For example, Tyus Jones was a top 5 recruit in high school, but even then, people weren't very high on him as an NBA prospect. Likewise with our own Dajuan Coleman.

There's certainly instances of guys like Lydon flying under the radar, but for example:

Kennedy Meeks - 6'9" center. That's not gonna happen in the NBA.
Joel Berry - 6'0", small wingspan, not very athletic. That's not gonna happen in the NBA.
Theo Pinson - I don't really understand why he was ever ranked as high as a recruit as he was. 6'6" guy that was a twig, couldn't shoot, couldn't finish, and couldn't dribble.

It would make losing our guys early a lot easier if they actually played in the NBA

They keep gettin' dem checks either way. :cool:

Mali is making the exact same amount of $ now, as if he was a starter on the Warriors.

Yeah, yeah - 'second contract' - but; you can't get the 2nd one, if you never had the first.
Meanwhile, he's going to make more $ in 2-3 years, than 90%+ of a Syracuse grads make in their ENTIRE LIFETIMES.

And, he can always go back to school to get his degree later, after his playing career is over.

The main thing is that there's a difference between HS rankings and rankings for the NBA. For example, Tyus Jones was a top 5 recruit in high school, but even then, people weren't very high on him as an NBA prospect. Likewise with our own Dajuan Coleman.

There's certainly instances of guys like Lydon flying under the radar, but for example:
A lot of different things can be argued. And the only reason I used the Mickey D's was that it was the easiest list for comparison sake. And generally they are the more highly ranked recruits. However, without looking up Nova and UNC, I do know that three of our better pro players who left early were not Mickey D's (Jerami Grant, Dion Waiters and Wes Johnson). Compare that to our five Mickey D's that also left early (Mali, MCW, Fab Melo, Johnny Flynn and Donte Greene). Their NBA careers have been mixed at best (injuries not withstanding). Needless to say, we could have been historically better if any of them stayed three or four years.

A lot of different things can be argued. And the only reason I used the Mickey D's was that it was the easiest list for comparison sake. And generally they are the more highly ranked recruits. However, without looking up Nova and UNC, I do know that three of our better pro players who left early were not Mickey D's (Jerami Grant, Dion Waiters and Wes Johnson). Compare that to our five Mickey D's that also left early (Mali, MCW, Fab Melo, Johnny Flynn and Donte Greene). Their NBA careers have been mixed at best (injuries not withstanding). Needless to say, we could have been historically better if any of them stayed three or four years.

Wes Johnson “left early” in the sense that he had a year left of eligibility, but he was 23 when he was drafted.

Dion Waiters probably should’ve made it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom