Mali tells team he's gone | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mali tells team he's gone

when somebody follows 2 people and has 5 followers you listen .

Or the 87 percent sure about a player staying in the draft, who is 87 percent sure of something?

dasher said:
Good luck to him . Having said that, did anyone watching our team this year think, boy Mali, he is a first round pick?

Yes.

Guys that lanky/tall with moves and the ability to shoot have NBA written all over them. But I thought it would take an extra year.

Mazel tov, Mordecai, thanks for the memories. Rumble, young man, rumble!

Good luck to him . Having said that, did anyone watching our team this year think, boy Mali, he is a first round pick?
Yes, he showed several flashes.

His offensive weapons for a freshman were really impressive. He was our best peneatrator, was a solid passer, good shooter, had the step back jumper, and had that nice hesitation move that he tore apart Brogdon with. Once he measured out well at the combine he was gone.

Selfishly, I think Mali might have been the best sophomore we've had in a LONG time if he had come back -- like preseason 1st team All-American good. If I could pick any freshman to come back for 1 more year, it would have been Mali; not Ennis. Not only that, but Lydon, Battle and Mali? That would have been as good as a trio as I can remember (I'm 27).

I understand why he's doing it and I'm happy for him. I'd be a little more upset if we didn't get in the tournament, it would have felt like a waste. But he played well Dayton, did some good things vs. Gonzaga and then just balled out vs. UVA. Ironically of course, if we didn't make the tournament there's a good chance he doesn't leave. However, I'll take the Final 4 appearance last year and have him go, than to have him stay to MAYBE make a Final Four this year

wouldnt surprise me that he has had first round potential from 2-3 teams that really want to take a flyer on him in the 2nd,

how many teams do we think have him as #1 on their board? I doubt any do and a good chance many dont have him in their sites at all

All it takes is 1-2 guys going where someone didnt expect and even a team that likes him suddenly sees one higher on their board available and he missed the draft completely. there is a reason so many sites have him in the 50 range

root for the best, expect the worst.

With all the positive feedback ive read over the past several days id go as far as to say he's making the correct choice and his stock may actually be as high as it will be.

He's going middle of the second round - he will never participate in an NBA game - hopefully I'm wrong cuz I really liked his personality and spirit and thought he gave 100% on defense when I was told he didn't play defense - but I know I'm correct - he's an average shooter right now (has nice form though) - he can't dribble for a guard - and he's slow for a guard in the NBA - he's a very very poor mans Danny Greene

He's going middle of the second round - he will never participate in an NBA game - hopefully I'm wrong cuz I really liked his personality and spirit and thought he gave 100% on defense when I was told he didn't play defense - but I know I'm correct - he's an average shooter right now (has nice form though) - he can't dribble for a guard - and he's slow for a guard in the NBA - he's a very very poor mans Danny Greene
Wow. Well you're an outlier here and apparently among the pros assessing Mali too. Only time will tell if you are right or not.

This will be an interesting post to look back on.

I noted the similarities between Mali and Devon Booker about 3 weeks into the season. I think the kid has a world of potential. While I didn't say outright that he'd be a first round pick, I completely understand why some scouts might see him as such.

I noted the similarities between Mali and Devon Booker about 3 weeks into the season. I think the kid has a world of potential. While I didn't say outright that he'd be a first round pick, I completely understand why some scouts might see him as such.
Yes you did, I almost noted that in this thread this morning. You also said by the end of the year, his size and athleticism will be appealing to the NBA. Fast forward 6 months and bam! Nailed it.

I think there is a real good chance he becomes a good pro. Pure shooter, sturdy body, explosive and creative to the basket, he's got length. Hopefully he gets drafted into the right situation.

I'm proud that Malachi was able to achieve this 1st round grade. He earned this all while taking lumps throughout the year. I made a post after seeing him live for the first time at the Bona game stating that I had a good feeling about Malachi, not only into the future, but for "this year." His play during the FF run, especially that Virginia game was everything finally clicking for him. Not only is he talented but he is also hard working and head strong. I wish him well and hope he strikes it rich on his second contract!

I have missed feelings about this.

On one hand, good for him. Hope he gets his fortune and becomes a star.

On the other, it's sad that college basketball is becoming ever more just a brief stopover developmental league.
The game now has little or nothing to do with colleges purportedly being educational institutions.
The charade will have to stop.
The talent will have to be paid.
Too much $$$ involved.

And I get the point about the huge upside of young talented players.
But I still can't help but find it amazing that a kid who had one decent season and a few outstanding games is a first round NBA pick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom