Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Brown is a nice player.

He is overvalued on this board. This is not me bashing but you’d think we lost an All-ACC player.

He’s a consistent, solid 4 man who played out of position and would likely need to again with the roster construct the way it is.

Let’s wait and see what happens with this staff opening and the roster. A lot of work to be done, but a lot of opportunities out there as well.

Not sure why I invest so much into this now. I'm just going to assume that every season is a brand new roster and then pleasantly be surprised if someone stays. I coach high school basketball. I cannot imagine not knowing who I was going to have on my team year in and year out. College sports is a joke.

Bush league to do this after saying you are going to come back. Here is an idea- don’t say you are going to come back unless you are 150% sure you will be coming back. He has known about freeman coming in for ages. Bush league from Brown.

God damn college bball is a complete and total nightmare

Well the good news is, as we all saw this year, star freshman win all the time in College Basketball 2024.
:(

Its the game you have to play now. If you start Brown and put Freeman on the bench all year then Freeman will leave next year. That seems to be the pattern with McDs guys if they aren't getting minutes they bounce.

I see him at a much bigger/traditional power than Clemson. He's the perfect complementary option/glue-guy for a top 5-15 team.

He is a monster in efficiency. He can run 4 on 3 with the ball after high pick and roll. He is also great in the dunker spot. His three point shot is getting better. He was one of the best passers on our team, best screener and will be great on defense again next year when he's not guarding out of position for 35mpg.

Make no mistake, this is a brutal loss. Nate Oats just gave a whole presser on efficient play and our efficient player is walking out the door.

With respect to digesting the Maliq news, the focus should be on team/program implications, not how it affects respective personal fandoms and the greater college sports landscape. There are plenty of threads for that already.

Its the game you have to play now. If you start Brown and put Freeman on the bench all year then Freeman will leave next year. That seems to be the pattern with McDs guys if they aren't getting minutes they bounce.
Oh for sure I get that...

I'm just saying, as crazy as it is to say, maybe McDs aren't the way to go. Focus on portal and sleeper type recruits

I’m surprised Maliq came out earlier and said he was staying.

I’ve been saying this for weeks - Donnie and Maliq are both starters on next years team. If that was the case, we’d still get killed in the paint and on the boards. They’re both best suited as 4s. Neither can play the 3. Red knows he needs size in the portal

Whoever wants a prototype big bodied 5, our best chance to get one was having Maliq (or Donnie) not be here next year.

Maliq isn’t coming off the bench, Donnie isn’t coming off the bench, and a legit center from the portal also isn’t coming off the bench.

Not sure what people expected
agreed ...except i dont think brown, freeman and a center would get killed on the boards at all

they couldve started donnie and mailq...or made it work somehow...

but i totally get what youre saying

and if freeman is as-advertised...then brown aint starting over him.

its tough...but the team needs a big they can run the offense through and that isnt brown...or at least it hasnt been.

so as tough as it is...im hopeful that this means other players with more complimentary skillsets are coming.

What the f? Truly truly hard to be a fan invested into the players anymore. Literally assume every year that no one will be back, that’s what I’ve learned. Maybe maliq is sick of playing center? Don’t blame him.

There won't be a next year for Donnie Freeman regardless of whether he starts or is the sixth man. Freaks like that with clear near-term basketball potential don't stay in college for two years no matter what.

Was a certain podcaster right about the recruiting/portal uptick in football stretching NIL $$ a little thin for hoops?
I believe he was correct that all the recent fundraising efforts for NIL was all for football because of the new coach

Brown is a nice player.

He is overvalued on this board. This is not me bashing but you’d think we lost an All-ACC player.

He’s a consistent, solid 4 man who played out of position and would likely need to again with the roster construct the way it is.

Let’s wait and see what happens with this staff opening and the roster. A lot of work to be done, but a lot of opportunities out there as well.

He led the team in PER, eFG%, WS/40 and BPM.

He is undervalued on this board by most. Efficiency IS the name of the game. So our efficiency and our defense and our arguably best passer and by far our best screener just walked out the door.

This is very bad.

Mix of playing 5, bigger bag most likely and his best friend leaving.
I agree with all this but the best friend leaving part. Why would he care that JT hit the portal because they won't be playing on the same team at their next stop anyways. JT will probably be going down a step from cuse and Maliq will be a hot commodity so that seems irrelevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom