Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

He will make an all conference team before he graduates. Meanwhile some here will be happy keeping Bell and Starling smh.
Again - wish he’d stay.

He’s a good college basketball player.

Its all about who we bring in through the portal. We’ll get an actual chance to see Red’s style now.

I'll just throw this out there...no inside info...just remember the many posts on it early this year

If you remember, Maliq didn't start the year starting.
He only started, I believe, after injuries.
Maybe a "you told me this and that happened, not again" scenario. Just hypothetical.

I said this after Mcleods injury. Brown is a great perimeter defender. But he can’t guard the center position down low. He is too small and not strong enough. We need a real center.

Maliq is a 4 all day. To make it to the next level he needs to be able to stretch the D. He needs to be more consistent from 3. Even in the NBA he would be an undersized 4. But he is a great perimeter defender for his size. Can easily be a 3 and D type.

This is the player teams with championships with though. He does everything you need. Big loss. Not going to be your go to stud. But he is your 4th 5th option that plays great defense, rebounds and hits shots when defense collapses down.

Brown is a nice player.

He is overvalued on this board. This is not me bashing but you’d think we lost an All-ACC player.

He’s a consistent, solid 4 man who played out of position and would likely need to again with the roster construct the way it is.

Let’s wait and see what happens with this staff opening and the roster. A lot of work to be done, but a lot of opportunities out there as well.
All acc defense right?

Maliq was a solid player and would've been a big part of next year's team. Tough loss, but perhaps this will push Red to bring in actual post players with an offensive game and the ability to play C.

Maliq was an efficient player with great hands on D, but also never showed the ability to play with the ball in his hands. He could pass, but he couldn't do anything off hte bounce or to create shots. We need those types of players, badly.

Please Red, you HAVE to bring in at least 1, likely 2, players with post ability along with another forward. We can't be rolling with McLeod and Patterson, and no backup forwards. YIKES.
I think that’s what hurts , these guys are leaving before we get to see them advance their skill sets. A year of working on his post moves and he could have really upped his value to a team.Good luck to him though wherever he ends up.

I wish Brown, and all well. Here’s how I really feel though:

We’ve become overly attached to players that aren’t our traditional quality of player. We’ve been mediocre for a decade. Its lowered our expectations.

I hope Red brings in talent that buys into his style and brings some pride back to the orange.

I wish Maliq would stay but I’m not going to be upset. This isn’t CJ Fair.

CJ Fair's sophomore year he got to play with KJo, Dion, Triche, Fab, Scoop, Southerland, Rak, MCW and Baye.

CJ played 26 mpg. Started 9 games.

How do you think Maliq would look playing with those guys as a sophomore?

BTW, he beats CJ in PER, eFG%, WS/40 and BPM as a soph.

Maliq also made All ACC Defense this year.

You're right he isn't CJ Fair. At this point, he's better.

maybe looking for a bigger NIL bag
Hopefully this is merely because our efforts to keep him here were insufficient. He wants to stay, but needs a larger first digit before all those zeroes.

i hope we don’t be expect Freeman to play 40 minutes. There’s not another four on the roster and no real backup to Bell at the three. Red now has to bring in two forwards, a center and a point guard. Good luck finding enough quality to be a tournament team next year. The coaches just said two weeks ago that Malik was our most important player. We have no depth anywhere on our front line.

CJ Fair's sophomore year he got to play with KJo, Dion, Triche, Fab, Scoop, Southerland, Rak, MCW and Baye.

BTW, he beats CJ in PER, eFG%, WS/40 and BPM.

Im not entertaining this, anyone whos watched both players would agree CJ’s a different level of talent.

BTW, he beats CJ in PER, eFG%, WS/40 and BPM.

Brown wouldn't even get minutes on that team and that is his point. Zero chance JB would have played Brown over those other frontcourt players you listed.

does autry address the state of the program after this? does he drop a statement or hold a presser? feel like we need to hear some calming words from the big guy similar to boeheims presser a couple years ago

We’ve become overly attached to players that aren’t our traditional quality of player. We’ve been mediocre for a decade. Its lowered our expectations.
Exactly. People are writing sonnets for a guy who only cares about his minutes and who is feeling challenged by an incoming freshman.

Boeheim left the program in rough shape. The remnants of that are on full display.

Lets see what Red does now that its his turn.
While that is certainly true, Red has the opportunity to completely turn over the roster ASAP. He didn't really do it last year, but now is the time. We can't merely replace departing players. We have to upgrade on everyone.

I really like Maliq and have enjoyed watching him play. I bet he does well wherever he ends up. I will be rooting for him.

I think this move was driven by Donnie Freeman. While Maliq is a good PF, Donnie is a difference maker. He has to play the vast majority of the minutes at the 4.

He is IMHO already a better defender, shot blocker, rebounder and shooter than Maliq is. He is our ideal 4. Maliq has some limitations at the 4. He might break through some over time...in fact I think he will. But he is never going to be the all conference level player Donnie is going to be.

So he has to play center to play for us. While he did a fine job filling in at center this year, he isn't a great fit there either. We really need a center who can defend big strong guys, rebound well, block shots and have some polished moves around the basket.

Maliq is not that guy and never will be.

I wish him well. Sad I won't see him develop and play his last 2 years but this is the new landscape for college sports. Major roster turnover is going to happen, especially for programs looking to make major improvement.
great post...you put what I was thinking better than I did haha

i just wonder how closely the people so sad he is leaving actually want the team to play? expect the team to play? etc

i appreciate bown and it would be great to have him on the team next year...but I dont see how the team can play the style of play they will need to with him as a major piece.

do people not get that we need SCORERS in the low post??

now maybe those players will not arrive...and in that case...yes it will suckkkkk to lose brown...

but for now I am assuming they will.

Bummer. Would have been interesting to see him play as a 4 (assuming we’ll have an actual center or 2 on the roster next season).

I guess at this point it’s not really worth following things until guys show up for school in August.

I understand the issues he may have between playing center and a McD's coming in at the 4, but those same issues existed a few weeks ago when he told Donna he was returning. So what changed?
im crossing my fingers that means some other bigs are on there way...thats the only thing that really makes sense to me

otherwise, he wouldnt have announced hes coming back

for example, maybe someone like BHH?

great post...you put what I was thinking better than I did haha

i just wonder how closely the people so sad he is leaving actually want the team to play? expect the team to play? etc

i appreciate bown and it would be great to have him on the team next year...but I dont see how the team can play the style of play they will need to with him as a major piece.

did you guys not watch the team get EVISCERATED in the paint this season with brown as the center???
do people not get that we need SCORERS in the low post??

now maybe those players will not arrive...and in that case...yes it will suckkkkk to lose brown...

but for now I am assuming they will.

How do you think Maliq would look playing with gthose guys as a sophomore?

BTW, he beats CJ in PER, eFG%, WS/40 and BPM as a soph.

And not even playing his actual position!

If Chris Bell won us two or three games how many god damn wins was Maliq Brown responsible for? Only player on the team with a top-500 rebounding rate, 7th nationally in 2P % and 7-18 from deep shows you he can extend. And an all league defender. Cmon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom