Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Maliq got screwed this year - he was not put in a position to succeed . And his reward for his play last year was to come back to less minutes, and direct PT competition from the programs best recruit in a decade. His best friend is transferring and got booed at home - and his lead recruiter just left. And on top of all of that, I wouldn’t blame him if he didn’t trust the staff after what happened this year.
He was put in a position to help his team win. That’s what coaches do. If he doesn’t like that then he can go in the portal, which he did. Coaches are about winning now. Too many players are only worried about themselves.

End of the day - the team’s been bad for two years. There’s not an irreplaceable player on the roster when taking into consideration the environment that the portal and NIL has introduced.

Does that make Maliq any less of a player? No. He was one of our best players and as things stand now, this is a hard loss that will need to be addressed.

As a fan, I want Red to have the ability to build out his vision of the team. Im more concerned with resources available to Red, despite some contributors hinting that NIL’s no issue. Im also concerned with the timing of GMac’s departure, which has left us with an arm tied behind our back heading into the portal.

I have faith that the staff will, and is already working towards doing, fix this.

Hard loss, but it’s not a death blow.

Never underestimate one's expectations for SU hoops. We should be better than we've been, but as you said, given the transition, I don't know why people thought it would happen so quickly.

Oh, and a shout out to anyone born when we won our only national championship. In just 5 days, they'll be able to legally drink.
Yeah, I should know that by now. I do agree its been largely disappointing for several seasons. No question. I just think maybe reversing that trend might be a bit more difficult in the current setting. It sucks. Red will get three years, is my guess. What happens after that is anyone's guess.

Maliq got screwed this year - he was not put in a position to succeed . And his reward for his play last year was to come back to less minutes, and direct PT competition from the programs best recruit in a decade. His best friend is transferring and got booed at home - and his lead recruiter just left. And on top of all of that, I wouldn’t blame him if he didn’t trust the staff after what happened this year.
I think he played a bigger role than planned because of injuries/disappointments in front of him. So I don't think he got screwed this year. He did have to take on a role that was unplanned and more minutes than planned.

Less minutes? He averaged 19 in November, 27 in December, 31 in January, and 36 in Feb/Mar. His minutes got *too* high by the end, and it was due to injuries and Benny's dismissal. I don't think he was going to be slotted for any fewer than 25-27 minutes, which is a good amount for him I think.

Why wouldn't he trust the staff? Are injuries their fault?

Of course. And you are very much entitled to your position as are they. That is why they make so many different types of ice cream. However, no one wanted Brown to leave. Not you. Not your friends. Not the coaches. Nor any of the fans that are not all that upset by this. We all wanted him to stay. But it was Brown who didn't like the role he saw them having for him next year. He left. They didn't release him or trade him. They obviously thought they had to get a real big that they can go down low to. And they obviously think Freeman is the real deal. But it was Brown who left us. Not the other way around.
The staff thought Benny was the real deal.

Okay, you have said it. But now you seem to be most upset that others aren't as upset as you. And that is ridiculous. As for the staff, JB decided who he wanted. I know for a fact, a fact, that coaches have wanted other guys and JB said No. Where we are is on JB. And it is unfair to blame the new guy. That he was here as an ass't is not relevant seeing that JB called the shots, not the ass'ts. I think that we will all be glad to have JJ on this team over the next 2 years. You don't. Time will tell.
Nothing screams “success” like pointing to the only other McD AA and saying we will be happy with him on the team over the next 2 years. If he is here for 2 more years then we are in big trouble because that means he never met his potential.

End of the day - the team’s been bad for two years. There’s not an irreplaceable player on the roster when taking into consideration the environment that the portal and NIL has introduced.

Does that make Maliq any less of a player? No. He was one of our best players and as things stand now, this is a hard loss that will need to be addressed.

As a fan, I want Red to have the ability to build out his vision of the team. Im more concerned with resources available to Red, despite some contributors hinting that NIL’s no issue. Im also concerned with the timing of GMac’s departure, which has left us with an arm tied behind our back heading into the portal.

I have faith that the staff will, and is already working towards doing, fix this.

Well said.

It’s never the staff’s fault with a lot of fans here. From sanctions to players leaving early to bags from other teams. Things that every other team in college basketball have to deal with.

After a decade of irrelevance I’m tired of the excuses.
Red isn’t responsible for that decade though. This is a new regime and a new era of the portal. You have to see what he does before you lose it on him. It’s not fair. He has a mess to clean up.

All this "I cant believe he left" and "its a massive loss...we arent gonna recover" is ridiculous. Move on and adapt.
There's a reason why that response is as such here. We were sold a bill of goods when we lost Kadary and Quincy, so it's hard to think the opposite is possible here until we see it. (...and yes, I know, Red isn't JB)

Makes no sense. They reduced brown by 2 from this year and almost doubled lampkins.
Is this projected? I’m confused too now that you called it out.

There's a reason why that response is as such here. We were sold a bill of goods when we lost Kadary and Quincy, so it's hard to think the opposite is possible here until we see it. (...and yes, I know, Red isn't JB)
Last years replacements weren’t stellar either and that kind of was on Red.

The constant transfers is how you alienate fan bases and ruin interest in college basketball. The unlimited transfer rule has to change at some point. We can’t have a Wild West every year. It doesn’t work for growing and maintaining interest in the sport long term. The only solution, imo, is for the players to unionize and then negotiate a collective bargaining agreement and have contracts with limited amounts of transfers/restrictions on free agency.
Agreed but until its done no need to complain about it

Wait, wut?
Colorado was a top-50 team in terms of percentage of shots taken in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock following a made basket, rebound or steal. It's harder to get a numbers advantage going the other way when guys gamble their position by going for blocks instead of staying at home and boxing out.

not sure where to put this but I found a great post on twitter about this whole situation, with much needed perspective:

With the news of Maliq entering the portal today I’m getting the feeling that a lot of Cuse Fans haven’t looked around and saw what’s happening in college basketball and are under the impression there’s an issue with Syracuse Basketball given the amount of players in the portal.

So I did the research and broke down the Top-150 Players in the class of 2022, since they’ve had one full offseason

The numbers of guys at their original school will open your eyes that this is not an issue unique to Syracuse Basketball

Here’s what I found:

Keep in mind - this is as it sits today. The season technically isn’t even over yet. More guys will portal. Here’s the stats.

Players: 150
Stayed at original school: 56
Went Pro out of HS: 1
Are in the NBA: 21
Transferred: 72

⬇️Here’s a percentage breakdown⬇️

Stayed: 37%
Pro: 15%
Transferred: 48%

That means ~half of the Top-150 players in the 2022 class have transferred or entered the transfer portal before the national championship of their second year. This is not a Syracuse problem. Relax. Look around. Portal taketh, portal giveth. They have 5-6 months to build this roster, lock in on Syracuse in October - anything before that is doing yourself an injustice. Go Orange

not sure where to put this but I found a great post on twitter about this whole situation, with much needed perspective:

With the news of Maliq entering the portal today I’m getting the feeling that a lot of Cuse Fans haven’t looked around and saw what’s happening in college basketball and are under the impression there’s an issue with Syracuse Basketball given the amount of players in the portal.

So I did the research and broke down the Top-150 Players in the class of 2022, since they’ve had one full offseason

The numbers of guys at their original school will open your eyes that this is not an issue unique to Syracuse Basketball

Here’s what I found:

Keep in mind - this is as it sits today. The season technically isn’t even over yet. More guys will portal. Here’s the stats.

Players: 150
Stayed at original school: 56
Went Pro out of HS: 1
Are in the NBA: 21
Transferred: 72

⬇️Here’s a percentage breakdown⬇️

Stayed: 37%
Pro: 15%
Transferred: 48%

That means ~half of the Top-150 players in the 2022 class have transferred or entered the transfer portal before the national championship of their second year. This is not a Syracuse problem. Relax. Look around. Portal taketh, portal giveth. They have 5-6 months to build this roster, lock in on Syracuse in October - anything before that is doing yourself an injustice. Go Orange
Glad someone broke it down. My god some people are acting like their parents suddenly disowned them. Good lord.

idk I think Gerry wants to be head coach of SU

and him leaving now is maaybe his realization that it's not going to happen any time soon bc red has things cooking

If gerry thought things were going to get worse here...I bet he would wait

He was put in a position to help his team win. That’s what coaches do. If he doesn’t like that then he can go in the portal, which he did. Coaches are about winning now. Too many players are only worried about themselves.

So Maliq helps us win in lieu of his own personal gain by playing out of position and the onus is on Maliq, again, to be the duct tape to cover the missteps by our coach?

Ya, miss me with that.

You bank on the JJs of the world and hold onto the Bennys for too long but need Maliq to take one for the team because you can't field a team, screw that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom