Marcus Smart Officially | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Marcus Smart Officially

The Gottlieb fans around here will like this - Dougie tweeted that he has a Tech friend who is friends with Orr, and then he proceeded to tweet a screen shot of a text from Orr to the friend. HOLY INVASION OF PRIVACY BATMAN!

I didn't realize Doug works for the NSA now.

https://twitter.com/GottliebShow/status/432395633962405890

Text convo from my Tech friend w/Orr- Orr is Tech's biggest fan-everyone knows him, he goes to every game

ztvl6r.jpg

creatorsgame said:
Sticks and stones...

And if you don't shut a bully up the names won't stop. I'd prefer them to stop and would stand up for myself.

Being a bigot is stupid I agree but physically assaulting people for having stupid beliefs is not going to get you anywhere. Look at all the people who are celebrated for civil rights, just saying.
I'm sorry, that's a legit excuse for a bigot to get confronted.

When did this world get so damn PC.

Why does anything insult Jordan? Malone? Or anybody else. Has nothing to do with their pasts. Some people are more sensitive than others. Part of the reason Jackie Robinson was the first black player was because he was so laid back and able to handle the pressure where as better players may not have been equipped to handle it.

Guess what, if it was an N bomb dropped, nothing would have happened if the fan just kept his mouth shut. We live in a world of consequences, free speech goes so far before it's crossed. I dare anybody to go down to the south side and drop a few N bombs and see how you turn out at the end of the night.

If the fan did in fact drop the N word he should have gotten cracked in the mouth on national tv and made an example of. Bet other fans would take note and maybe keep their mouths shut.
Very well said, I agree 100%. Use that word and get lumped up. There is no need to ever throw that word out there and if this guy used that over a basketball game and towards a student athlete he got off lightly. I just don't understand people who can sit in the stands and verbally abuse student athletes... Lowest class people...watch the game, cheer, and be respectful.

It doesn't get you anywhere. I have a different outlook than most people when it comes to things like that. I'm not excusing what Smart did, nor what Artest did in Detroit. But I'm not going to hammer them as hard as the fans, the media, and the league/conference would. I honestly don't see the big deal at all with a racist (if he did say something) getting shoved, if he kept his mouth shut it wouldn't have happened.

Check my edit I added to my post. I agree that you say some things you are asking to get hit but I don't think hitting someone for hateful name calling is the best way to go and certainly not when you are the public figure with something to lose.

not a smart move by Smart but I detest jackass fans and that sense of entitlement that they can say and do whatever they please. At the Duke game there was an SU fan that would not stop pestering the Duke fan in front of me. And the Duke fan was one of those guys that was just minding his own business, wasn't screaming or being an over the top fan like the Villanova fans I've seen at the dome. I felt bad for the guy because he was really just trying to mind his own business and this guy would not let him sit there in peace. He took his lumps and was gracious about it. I was embarrassed for my fellow SU fan, I just don't know what the hell compels people to be such idiots.

And if you don't shut a bully up the names won't stop. I'd prefer them to stop and would stand up for myself.

At some point yes, but verbal bullying and physical bullying are a bit different. You have to stand up for yourself but people won't verbally bully you all that much if it doesn't seem to bother you. They will look for a weaker target.

Very well said, I agree 100%. Use that word and get lumped up. There is no need to ever throw that word out there and if this guy used that over a basketball game and towards a student athlete he got off lightly. I just don't understand people who can sit in the stands and verbally abuse student athletes... Lowest class people...watch the game, cheer, and be respectful.
Do white players who get called "whitey", "white boy" and "cracker" get to fight back? Does Jeremy Lin get to fight some fan who calls him a ch***? I know they are not remotely the same thing because we have forever immortalized the N word as the king of all ethnic slurs but I guarantee you JJ Redick and Kyle Korver get reminded how white they are on a frequent basis. Should they confront people over that?

jordoo said:
Check my edit I added to my post. I agree that you say some things you are asking to get hit but I don't think hitting someone for hateful name calling is the best way to go and certainly not when you are the public figure with something to lose.

I think I'm coming on a little strong, I don't want Smart to hit anybody, I don't want anybody to get hit. What I guess what I'm really trying to say in all of this is that if he did hit him I wouldn't hold it against Smart.

People at these games really need to check themselves. Like what cto said, she sits court side, never engages with opposing players. PERFECT! I consider myself a pretty passionate fan and even alone I'll be screaming at the tv, fist pumping, yelling, booing, cheering. Even by myself or with friends I wouldn't be dropping N bombs at a player, let alone in public or where the person who I'd be saying it to could be affected by it.

I think I'm coming on a little strong, I don't want Smart to hit anybody, I don't want anybody to get hit. What I guess what I'm really trying to say in all of this is that if he did hit him I wouldn't hold it against Smart.

People at these games really need to check themselves. Like what cto said, she sits court side, never engages with opposing players. PERFECT! I consider myself a pretty passionate fan and even alone I'll be screaming at the tv, fist pumping, yelling, booing, cheering. Even by myself or with friends I wouldn't be dropping N bombs at a player, let alone in public or where the person who I'd be saying it to could be affected by it.

No doubt and if you say some things you should be ready to get hit. That said the fan has little to lose compared to Marcus Smart so while I may not personally hold it against him in this setting of college bball he can't do that.

Last edited:
I feel like we all need a reminder that at this point there is nothing concrete suggesting this was even racially charged, so this entire tangent is based solely on conjecture and may have nothing to do with this actual incident. We are starting to steer the conversation toward it being accepted as fact, it seems.

Or you could have self-confidence. You believe what they say? Is it true ? Am I? Are they right? No, it isn't true if I hit them.

Do white players who get called "whitey", "white boy" and "cracker" get to fight back? Does Jeremy Lin get to fight some fan who calls him a ch***? I know they are not remotely the same thing because we have forever immortalized the N word as the king of all ethnic slurs but I guarantee you JJ Redick and Kyle Korver get reminded how white they are on a frequent basis. Should they confront people over that?

I've never understood this either but usually asking the question as a white guy you are told that you can't understand it because you are white. Perhaps that is true but it seems kind of racially biased not that it bothers me all that much I can't change my whiteness or upbringing.

I'd say that word is immortalized because slavery was pretty horrific to a race of people.

What people don't understand is that there are people that hate you if you aren't white. Hard to know about it if you haven't been through it. That's why racial slurs are taken very seriously.

I'd say that word is immortalized because slavery was pretty horrific to a race of people.
And Jews went through the holocaust.

I'm not at all trying to defend the use of that word but at some point we need to, as a society, move on from that. Until we do racism and racial tension will always be ratcheted up. It gives power to an awful derogatory term. At some point are we ever going to get past that and be one, one society where we're all the same?..or is it always going to come back to slavery.

Only one race had been slaves? Thanks for the history lesson, I had been taught otherwise. Only horrific to "a race." I'll have to text that to myself.

It's sad to say, but NBA gm's are looking at this as a great chance to get top tier pg for cheap. He can always work on his jump shot. Some exec. is now thinking they can grab a Embid, Randle or any other lottery pick and then get Smart later on in the draft for money that won't hurt their salary cap. Will be a good foundation to build with for any tanking team in the league. The Olympic program and coach k will come out and defend him, saying he is a good kid. He will be condemned by the media, but basketball is a business and luckily for him gm's and owners want to win.

What people don't understand is that there are people that hate you if you aren't white. Hard to know about it if you haven't been through it. That's why racial slurs are taken very seriously.

People hate for all sorts of reasons, basing their hate on skin color is however one of the the stupidest ones IMO.