Marcus Smart Officially | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Marcus Smart Officially

Actually the fan looks like he was apologizing once Smart got in his face, but obviously the damage was already done.

tell that to lebron. I have sat courtside at plenty of NBA games and have witnessed NBA owners and high end fans saying things to refs and players that would make Smart shrivel up and cry compared to whatever a Texas Tech super fan said.

I also heard a fan tell Charlie Villanueva he looked like a fetus (in the carrier dome) and watched Ed Pickney be constrained by other coaches from going into the crowd at the dome in pregame shootaround. Things are said... never an excuse to go into crowd.

FYI: Lebron got pissed at an Atl dentist sitting courtside at a playoff game... he didnt push the guy... he just went off for 40+ and kept staring at the guy
Hell, anyone who played HS ball can know sometimes the student sections say things that are nowhere near appropriate. It's part of the game, I'm not condoning it at all, but if you're Marcus Smart (or anyone else for that matter) you can't react like that.

djcon57 said:
Fab Melo was drafted in the 1st round. FAB. MELO.

Defensive BE POY Fab Melo.

7 foot Fab Melo

One of the biggest first to second season improvements in school history Fab Melo.

Why is it a shock he was a first round pick? He plays all season and we win it all he was probably a lottery pick.

7 foot Fab Melo

One of the biggest first to second season improvements in school history Fab Melo.

Why is it a shock he was a first round pick? He plays all season and we win it all he was probably a lottery pick.
Anytime anyone gives you ish about Fab Melo, just respond with two words. Hasheem Thabeet.

amen. no debate necessary...

3 things could have happened there:

1. *most likely* fan calls him N bomb - gives him literally no excuse to go into crowd to shove. It insults every black athlete before him from Jordan to Malone in Utah to Ali to Ernie Davis/Jim Brown to Jackie Robinson to UTEP. smart is suspended 2-5 games
2. *least likely* fan threatens to murder smart and his family - smart is vindicated and doesnt deserve suspension
3. anything else said - smart suspended for season, drafted in 2nd round and banished to Europe for 2 years
ATL you're better than this. "Most likely used n-word? Jesus H. We have no idea. Unless I missed something.

longislandcuse said:
Not saying he would lie but that's also THE only word that gets him out of this.

And if THAT word was used that guy and his ugly wife should be banned from that stadium. If I was a Tech player I'd be walking that couple out by their necks kicking them out of the door yelling "And stay out!"

Fab Melo hijacking threads in 2014 EPIC.

If this guy took a jab at Smart on the street, "DOWN GOES JEFF!".

ATL you're better than this. "Most likely used n-word? Jesus H. We have no idea. Unless I missed something.

I'm giving him of the benefit of the doubt for jumping up like he did... saying "most likely" was probably incorrect.

Even if N bomb was dropped - it doesnt allow him to go into crowd IMO. See my explanation in that post. Every black athlete has had to deal with worse.

Villanueva was literally called a FETUS at the carrier dome... there isnt much worse than that.

7 foot Fab Melo

You are totally missing my point.
Fab Melo was a 1st round pick because he was obviously a great talent.
A great talent that flunked out a school at the worst time for his team, appeared to gain his beer gut back after the season, and had limited offensive moves
Despite that Fab Melo was a 1st round pick...Marcus Smart will be a 1st round pick because he's a great talent. All he needs is 1 GM to say, "We can change him" and he will.

Not saying he would lie but that's also THE only word that gets him out of this.

Disagree. If confirmed the fan may have his seats revoked. Indefinite suspension should still take place. No matter what is said the liability issues for all involved are far too great to allow players open season to enter the non-playing area and begin assaulting patrons over words. You turn to an official and have the fan removed by security. Only recourse.

You are totally missing my point.
Fab Melo was a 1st round pick because he was obviously a great talent.
A great talent that flunked out a school at the worst time for his team, appeared to gain his beer gut back after the season, and had limited offensive moves
Despite that Fab Melo was a 1st round pick...Marcus Smart will be a 1st round pick because he's a great talent. All he needs is 1 GM to say, "We can change him" and he will.

Fab Melo never threatened the fans dude. HUGE difference

Not condoning the N word but and I'm sure I'll get killed over this but I don't understand why people go ape sheet over is it. Making a big deal out of it keeps it relevant and thus more often used by hateful or stupid people looking to insight. Not to mention if you make a racial slur toward other races no one seems to make a big deal out of it. Just like no one would care if you made derogatory remarks about heterosexuals no one would care. I don't condone it or do it and I feel hating or judging by race or skin color is stupid.

CusefanATL said:
amen. no debate necessary... 3 things could have happened there: 1. *most likely* fan calls him N bomb - gives him literally no excuse to go into crowd to shove. It insults every black athlete before him from Jordan to Malone in Utah to Ali to Ernie Davis/Jim Brown to Jackie Robinson to UTEP. smart is suspended 2-5 games 2.

I'm sorry, that's a legit excuse for a bigot to get confronted.

When did this world get so damn PC.

Why does anything insult Jordan? Malone? Or anybody else. Has nothing to do with their pasts. Some people are more sensitive than others. Part of the reason Jackie Robinson was the first black player was because he was so laid back and able to handle the pressure where as better players may not have been equipped to handle it.

Guess what, if it was an N bomb dropped, nothing would have happened if the fan just kept his mouth shut. We live in a world of consequences, free speech goes so far before it's crossed. I dare anybody to go down to the south side and drop a few N bombs and see how you turn out at the end of the night.

If the fan did in fact drop the N word he should have gotten cracked in the mouth on national tv and made an example of. Bet other fans would take note and maybe keep their mouths shut.

Fab Melo never threatened the fans dude. HUGE difference

K. We'll agree to disagree. Just don't be sad-face when I bump this on draft day. It'll all be in good fun.

I'm sorry, that's a legit excuse for a bigot to get confronted.

When did this world get so damn PC.

Why does anything insult Jordan? Malone? Or anybody else. Has nothing to do with their pasts. Some people are more sensitive than others. Part of the reason Jackie Robinson was the first black player was because he was so laid back and able to handle the pressure where as better players may not have been equipped to handle it.

Guess what, if it was an N bomb dropped, nothing would have happened if the fan just kept his mouth shut. We live in a world of consequences, free speech goes so far before it's crossed. I dare anybody to go down to the south side and drop a few N bombs and see how you turn out at the end of the night.

If the fan did in fact drop the N word he should have gotten cracked in the mouth on national tv and made an example of. Bet other fans would take note and maybe keep their mouths shut.

Being a bigot is stupid I agree but physically assaulting people for having stupid beliefs is not going to get you anywhere. Look at all the people who are celebrated for civil rights, just saying.

Edit: Even if they direct those stupid beliefs at you physically assaulting them is usually not the answer especially when you are the public figure and they are not. IF he would have kept his cool then the story could get out and that fan would be getting what he deserved while Marcus would be lauded the hero.

Last edited:
jordoo said:
Being a bigot is stupid I agree but physically assaulting people for having stupid beliefs is not going to get you anywhere. Look at all the people who are celebrated for civil rights, just saying.

It doesn't get you anywhere. I have a different outlook than most people when it comes to things like that. I'm not excusing what Smart did, nor what Artest did in Detroit. But I'm not going to hammer them as hard as the fans, the media, and the league/conference would. I honestly don't see the big deal at all with a racist (if he did say something) getting shoved, if he kept his mouth shut it wouldn't have happened.

Same TTech fan in this Youtube video acting like an idiot (last few secs)