Marek Dolezaj | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

My guess is his name was buzzing around when JB and Hop were involved in USA Basketball. That is a total guess but it makes sense. If so, maybe something beneficial to SU will come out of that.:noidea:
Maybe, but that seems somewhat of a stretch. Slovakia didn't qualify for the Olympics and Marek played in the U18 Euro championships. I'm guessing his interest became known similarly to how Yurtseven's did last year.

I think we close out 17 with Euro
Thorpe and transfer

Dolezaj. Then thinking Thorpe and Hughes.

Thought there was a chance we might stop with Tucker but now that looks unlikely, I think we do bolster our shooting and playmaking with Thorpe, since he can play the 2 (something Tucker would've been able to provide).

Thought there was a chance we might stop with Tucker but now that looks unlikely, I think we do bolster our shooting and playmaking with Thorpe, since he can play the 2 (something Tucker would've been able to provide).
How would you feel if we added Dolezag and Hughes, only?

That'd be pretty awful, IMO, at least for this season. The immediate help and perimeter ability needs to be added somewhere, whether it's Thorpe or elsewhere.

Maybe, but that seems somewhat of a stretch. Slovakia didn't qualify for the Olympics and Marek played in the U18 Euro championships. I'm guessing his interest became known similarly to how Yurtseven's did last year.

Yeah, I hear ya... but coaches talk to coaches. You very well be right. Like I said, my guess was just that.

I think it happens pretty quickly once the Tucker domino falls. Some would be pretty disappointed with that finish but Thorpe would solve our guard issues. Dolezaj gives us another forward who has some skills and Hughes could step right in in 18-19 and be able to play both the 2 and the 3. Combine that with Brissett, Sidibe, Washington and Moyer and we could be looking back in a few years saying "Wow that 17 class salvaged that season and set us up for great success the next two seasons."

That'd be pretty awful, IMO, at least for this season. The immediate help and perimeter ability needs to be added somewhere, whether it's Thorpe or elsewhere.

Thorpe should be the #1 priority, I agree. I think the staff recently decided they weren't waiting on Ayala and called Thorpe up.

Yeah, I'm concerned about Tyus being our only 2. One more proven shooter is needed. Dolezaj could be a shooter but we can't count on it at all.

The thought of adding Hughes has grown on me.

That sounds about right.
Thanks Dash.

It would be a positive change from last year if JAB can get a roster set before September 1. Missing those couple of months playing together really threw things off-balance, IMO.

I saw a letter that Marek wrote to our coaches. Something about how he wanted to play in America with all of us "swinging Americans". And how he wants to meet some "swinging foxes" and enjoy their "big American breasts". And how he looks forward to playing for our coaches who he considers "wild and crazy guys".

Yeah, I'm concerned about Tyus being our only 2. One more proven shooter is needed. Dolezaj could be a shooter but we can't count on it at all.

Hughes isn't eligible for this season - doesn't help back up Tyus at all - except in practices.

Thorpe is a legit backup for Battle, who can also play some PG, if Frank Howard Washington isn't up to the task full time.

I saw a letter that Marek wrote to our coaches. Something about how he wanted to play in America with all of us "swinging Americans". And how he wants to meet some "swinging foxes" and enjoy their "big American breasts". And how he looks forward to playing for our coaches who he considers "wild and crazy guys".
hehe

Hughes isn't eligible for this season - doesn't help back up Tyus at all - except in practices.

Thorpe is a legit backup for Battle, who can also play some PG, if Frank Howard Washington isn't up to the task full time.
If we get Thorpe, he starts at the point and he and Tyus play 35 minutes each, with Frank spelling them for the other 10 minutes.

Still not a good offensive team IMO, but we don't have anywhere else to turn.

I think it happens pretty quickly once the Tucker domino falls. Some would be pretty disappointed with that finish but Thorpe would solve our guard issues. Dolezaj gives us another forward who has some skills and Hughes could step right in in 18-19 and be able to play both the 2 and the 3. Combine that with Brissett, Sidibe, Washington and Moyer and we could be looking back in a few years saying "Wow that 17 class salvaged that season and set us up for great success the next two seasons."

Yeah, this is a great post. Wish we were back up to 13 scholarships next year. Adding Hughes hurts in that respect but a seasoned sophomore who knows the zone could be better than some of the freshmen we are looking at. Cannot wait until we are out from under that crap.

Dolezaj is such an X-factor too. What if he's much better than we know? If he's worse, we have plenty of forwards and he can maybe get better. This is not a Hail Mary but he could answer a few prayers.

Me too. Hughes could have a more immediate impact than a highly rated 2018 wing coming in would. His shot looks pretty decent to me so give him another year to work on it and learn our system (especially the defense) and he could be really good.

Yes we have to get Thorpe before using a ship on Hughes. Hughes would be more of a replacement for Battle since he is likely to be in the NBA after this season.

Don't know we owe Frank nothing. He has to earn it, regardless of seniority in the program.
Washington could wind up spelling them, you never know. He is a better shooter than Frank.
You guys are right. I guess in the back of my mind, I have Washington redshirting or just not being ready. But, the kid is a hard worker, he may very well be a better option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom